New Shooting Jacket

New to the sport? Or just not sussed something out yet? Please ask your questions in here, there are many experienced shooters on the forum and someone will for sure come along and answer your question. This is a section for new shooters so if anyone can think of something please submit it.

Moderator: dromia

Pippin89
Home club or Range: Chichester Rifle and Pistol Club

New Shooting Jacket

#1 Post by Pippin89 »

Hi All
I have just bought my first new shooting jacket from Schulz. Its a very nice fit but a little stiff which is to be expected when its new I guess.
Does anyone have any tips to "break it in" before I take it on the range. Is it just a case of wearing it around the house or is there anything more specific I can do??
Rockhopper

Re: New Shooting Jacket

#2 Post by Rockhopper »

They don't really break in (at least mine never has), the idea is that they support you!
Pippin89

#3 Post by Pippin89 »

Rockhopper wrote:They don't really break in (at least mine never has), the idea is that they support you!
I expected it would remain supporting but thought it may break in around the shoulders and elbows as currently it restricts movement slightly. Maybe I just need to get use to it.
Rockhopper

#4 Post by Rockhopper »

Its really only designed to be comfortable when you are in your shooting position. Many shooters will take their jacket off between details, I don't do that but i do have to undo the buttons to be comfy.
Pippin89

#5 Post by Pippin89 »

Rockhopper wrote:Its really only designed to be comfortable when you are in your shooting position. Many shooters will take their jacket off between details, I don't do that but i do have to undo the buttons to be comfy.
Yeah I did throw myself down on the floor and assume the position (my misses thought I was mad) and it was certainly more comfortable than the one I had used at the club. It just seems to be a little restrictive around my shoulders. Will see what it is like next time I get on the range and actually have a rifle in my hands.
Rockhopper

#6 Post by Rockhopper »

Sounds like it might be a touch on the small side or perhaps you are wearing too many layers underneath?
Pippin89

#7 Post by Pippin89 »

Rockhopper wrote:Sounds like it might be a touch on the small side or perhaps you are wearing too many layers underneath?
The fit is very good over my ample proportions. But I do have very large shoulders so maybe its just tight around there... I will see how it feels on the range.
Pippin89

#8 Post by Pippin89 »

Update: I have used this a handful of times on the range now and its great. Supportive in all the right areas and with a rifle in my hands it doesn't restrict movement at all. My only problem is the rubber grip on the right shoulder (right hand shooter) bulges a bit and stops me getting the stock into a good position in my shoulder as easily as I could. Luckily the club suggested someone who can alter that and make it fit better. Its not a problem as long as I remember to wiggle the stock in past the bulge! haha