New Member Scotland

New to the forum? Tell us who you are.

Moderator: dromia

Tubby10
Home club or Range: NA

New Member Scotland

#1 Post by Tubby10 »

I’m relatively new to this, I got into shooting from a stalking perspective.

After having my .243 re-barrelled by Dolphin I was somewhat shocked at how accurate it was at the range and decided to explore long range shooting.

I spent several days with sharpshooting Uk and realised I enjoyed this as much as stalking, also my riffle is now so heavy it’s difficult to lug around on a hill.

I live and work in the West of Scotland and like many, plans for regular stalking/shooting etc have been interrupted by little ones. I’m now at a point where I can get back into this a bit more and have just started reloading and had some very nervous moments glass bedding both my rifle stocks.

All this is costing a ridiculous amount and taking up vast swathes of time but it's great fun and i’m really enjoying myself. I have found the shooting community incredibly friendly and helpful whenever asking for advice, I’d like to benefit from more experienced peoples advice and tips. I have to admit to not being the most vocal on public forums.

Many thanks
Christel
Site Admin

Re: New Member Scotland

#2 Post by Christel »

Tubby10, welcome :wave:
WelshShooter
Full-Bore UK Supporter

#3 Post by WelshShooter »

Welcome to the forum Tubby! As with any forum, it's only as good as the people who contribute. Feel free to share your glass bedding procedure etc as it can be very helpful for some of us folk who have not done it before.
Tubby10

#4 Post by Tubby10 »

Many thanks for the welcome,

WelshShooter,

Caveat: I am no professional when it comes to this, I can see why it's expensive to get done because it's very messy, you need to be pedantic and have every tool ready to go. (trying to find something whilst covered in devcon is not pleasant). Youtube has some excellent and some terrible videos.

A significant amount of shoe polish on anything that shouldn't be glued, Suitable punches to remove the trigger and releases if required.
a lot of silly putty of modelling clay in every crevice or hole that you don't want to be filled with Devcon, acraglass or even epoxy(with a fibre mixed in), a dremmel to "key" the receptive surfaces and loads of degreaser for all the surfaces that you want things to adhere to.

I have a picture of the second time I did it but don't know how to post them yet. My advice would be to buy a second-hand stock cheap and then take it from there. I did the full length on an old HS precision stock but for my GRS beserk, I just did the front end. Whilst none of it is pretty its a lot better than it was. Mind you the rifle is always more accurate than I can shoot.
Mattnall
Full-Bore UK Supporter
Home club or Range: NRA, Redricks TSC, BS1944RC, HRA

#5 Post by Mattnall »

Hello and welcome :wave:
Arming the Country, one gun at a time.

Good deals with Paul101, Charlotte the flyer, majordisorder, Charlie Muggins, among others. Thanks everybody.
Les
Home club or Range: WRPC

#6 Post by Les »

Hello .... welcome to FBUK! :good:
shotgun sam

#7 Post by shotgun sam »

Hi Tubby10 welcome to the forum.

I notice you are from the Glasgow area we have a few members from your neck of the woods and further at Clyde valley pistol club ( http://www.clydevalleypistolclub.org.uk )
We have a 25 meter indoor range for gallery rifle shooting and normally do one day a month at Blairadam full bore range shooting 200/500 yard range.
mossberg 500
meteor mk2
smk 19 (0.22)
ruger 12/22 stainless synthetic 22lr
cz 452 style 16 inch 22lr
tikka t3 lite stainless 223
308 howa 1500 varmint
BSA Lightning XL (0.22)
Lanber Over and Under
Baikal mp153
AYA Cosmos 410
1917 BSA SMLE 303
Tubby10

#8 Post by Tubby10 »

Many thanks that info, I had previously been along for an intro evening but kids got in the way and I didn’t have a 22lr at the time.
Ovenpaa

#9 Post by Ovenpaa »

:wave:
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal
snayperskaya
Home club or Range: West Bank of the Volga.....

#10 Post by snayperskaya »

Hello and welcome Comrade ussrflag
"The only real power comes out of a long rifle." - Joseph Stalin

Give a man a gun and he can rob a bank.....give a man a bank and he can rob the world!.

More than a vested interest in 7.62x54r!