Gun Safe Installation

Anything shooting related including law and procedure questions.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
Should your post be in Grumpy Old Men? This area is for general shooting related posts only please.
benscammell
Home club or Range: Royay Berks Shooting School

Gun Safe Installation

#1 Post by benscammell »

I have agreed a location with my FAO.

It will require a safe to be mounted into breeze block.

Can anyone recommend someone in Berkshire who can supply and/or install a gunsafe?

I am looking at a Brattonsound RL5+, happy for advice on alternatives.

I am also looking at ChemFix... is this necessary?

Thanks, Ben
Fedaykin
Home club or Range: Cawdor

Re: Gun Safe Installation

#2 Post by Fedaykin »

A big drill and some anchor bolts from the local DIY centre is all that is needed! I have never paid someone to put one of my safes in, aside from anything else you are technically compromising its security by getting a tradesman in.

As for which safe, Brattonsound is a good choice as the FEO will recognise the brand but there are other alternative brands that are a bit cheaper and just as good. Personally I wouldn't bother with a cabinet that has an internal ammo safe, get a separate ammo safe. Oddly the rules around the ammo safe are not as strict and you can get some very good ones cheaply via ebay.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NEW-AMMUNITI ... 0903.m5276

Choice of cabinet is also driven by what you want to buy, if you want to buy Service rifles like the Lee Enfield then I would recommend a longer cabinet, my general rule of thumb for new participants in the sport is to look at what cabinet you think will need then buy the next size up!
I am Arthur Frayn, and I am Zardoz.
I have lived 300 years...

I am immortal.
I present now my story,
full of mystery and intrigue,
rich in irony, and most satirical.
bnz41
Site Supporter Since 2016
Home club or Range: NRA Bisley

#3 Post by bnz41 »

Also do not forget you will have to chop out the skirting board so that the cabinet fits flush against the wall.

If you are thinking about using scoped rifles then may pay to get extra deep cabinet. + 1 for the separate ammo safe I would go for the bigger one with a shelf as you can never have too much ammo.
Fedaykin
Home club or Range: Cawdor

#4 Post by Fedaykin »

I didn't cut the skirting board, just mounted them above it. A bit of a fiddle with a heavy cabinet but more than possible with some lateral thinking and gives a useful space underneath.
I am Arthur Frayn, and I am Zardoz.
I have lived 300 years...

I am immortal.
I present now my story,
full of mystery and intrigue,
rich in irony, and most satirical.
Blackstuff
Site Supporter Since 2015

#5 Post by Blackstuff »

When you say 'breeze blocks' do you KNOW they're concrete blocks, or could they be a Thermalite type block? If its a thermal type block you'll have to use chemical fixings, if its concrete block you might be ok with expanding anchors but its probably still best to use chemical fixings.

I would always go with chopping out the skirting board as it also allows you to put coach type bolts into the floor below (make sure there's no pipes or cables first though!). Unless you support the weight of the safe somehow its own weight would work in the favour of any wouldbe attacker in getting it off the wall.
DVC
Daryll
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: Isle Target Sports Club

#6 Post by Daryll »

Blackstuff wrote:When you say 'breeze blocks' do you KNOW they're concrete blocks, or could they be a Thermalite type block? If its a thermal type block you'll have to use chemical fixings, if its concrete block you might be ok with expanding anchors but its probably still best to use chemical fixings....
I'd agree with checking what type of wall it is... I mounted a cabinet in a new extension which had the thermal blocks and they had the consistency of cheese..!! Any normal rawlplug or bolt simply pulled out, or crumbled the block.

I used chemical fixing to glue in some threaded rod which was then bolted on the inside of the cabinet.
benscammell

#7 Post by benscammell »

This is the wall... any idea what kind of blocks they are?
Attachments
Screenshot 2019-05-13 at 13.30.25.png
Daryll
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: Isle Target Sports Club

#8 Post by Daryll »

They look like "proper" breeze/concrete blocks... the thermal ones are normally white..

Take a Philips screwdriver and try to push it into the blocks.. it shouldn't go in..
On thermal blocks it would drill a hole..
Blackstuff
Site Supporter Since 2015

#9 Post by Blackstuff »

Looks like thermalite to me they have the signature 'S' swish on them that concrete blocks don't normally have.

Do you know how old they are?
DVC
benscammell

#10 Post by benscammell »

They are 2yrs old.