Gun Safe Installation

Anything shooting related including law and procedure questions.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
Should your post be in Grumpy Old Men? This area is for general shooting related posts only please.
benscammell
Home club or Range: Royay Berks Shooting School

Re: Gun Safe Installation

#11 Post by benscammell »

I've decided I'm ChemFixing... 10mm studs, any advice on brand?
Triffid
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: Wey Valley

#12 Post by Triffid »

Those are Thermalite Shield aerated concrete blocks. You can tell by the double S lines across the block.
https://www.forterra.co.uk/plugins/down ... et_1_1.pdf

Look for a resin that is rated for aerated concrete blocks like Fischer VIS V (Screwfix!). Some standard resins may not be rated for Thermalite block.

There should be at least 4 fixings of 10mm diameter. You can buy 10mm threaded studs the correct length from Screwfix too.
(https://assets.publishing.service.gov.u ... ndbook.pdf).

Then you need a 12mm hole for each stud, which is the easy part!

Triffid
Lever357
Home club or Range: Louisa Centre

#13 Post by Lever357 »

Yes, as others have said, buy a bigger cabinet than you currently need as they are surprisingly easy to fill and get a seperate ammunition safe as the internal ones are small and can be awkward to get stuff in and out with big hands.
Remember, we're all here because we're not all there!
GeeRam
Home club or Range: PSC, Bisley

#14 Post by GeeRam »

Blackstuff wrote:Looks like thermalite to me they have the signature 'S' swish on them that concrete blocks don't normally have.
Yep.
Robbo

#15 Post by Robbo »

I used this stuff from Screwfix - very running and fixed very well into ports breeze blocks. I had to buy the special gun for it (the tubes are shorter and fatter than a normal corking gun canister).

And these studs....

1 x Rawlplug Studs BZP M12 x 160mm 10 Pack (3806F)
Sabertooth
Home club or Range: Donderbus RPC

#16 Post by Sabertooth »

I can second the fact that you need to buy bigger than you think you need. Always buy an extra deep safe if you are planning on shooting scoped rifles as there is nothing more frustrating than having to remove your scopes before storing your guns or juggling them to make them fit.
Gun control is hitting the target.
flamoudi
Home club or Range: CVPC Ashgill Scotland

#17 Post by flamoudi »

If you need extra hoes drilled into the cabinet to add more fixings do it. Same with the base and secure into a joist.
I prefer with mine in the loft to have the safe laying flat.
Polchraine

#18 Post by Polchraine »

No need for cheniocal fixings.

Have a look at the Fischer FPX range https://www.fischer.co.uk/en-gb/product ... -fpx-m12-i When correctly inserted the plug locks into t ewall and destruction of te wall is the only way to remove them.

Or a Fischer SXRL https://www.fischer.co.uk/en-gb/product ... 0-x-80-fus Four of those properly intstalled will take a lot of effort to shft the cabinet.

"The trouble with quotes on the internet is that it's difficult to discern whether or not they are genuine."
- Abraham Lincoln

Why did kamikaze pilots wear helmets?

God loves stupid people, that is why he made so many of them.
Racalman
Home club or Range: LPSC and NRA

#19 Post by Racalman »

Sabertooth wrote:I can second the fact that you need to buy bigger than you think you need. Always buy an extra deep safe if you are planning on shooting scoped rifles as there is nothing more frustrating than having to remove your scopes before storing your guns or juggling them to make them fit.
I will third it :D

I have a Brattonsound "5 gun" safe but the width only allows for three scoped rifles.

The small internal safe is a bit fiddly to access, but I use it for bolts and moderators and a separate safe for ammunition.

All fitted with chemical fixings from screwfix into brick wall and concrete floor.
Dellboy
Site Supporter 2021
Home club or Range: Star Shooting Club

#20 Post by Dellboy »

Racalman wrote:
Sabertooth wrote:I can second the fact that you need to buy bigger than you think you need. Always buy an extra deep safe if you are planning on shooting scoped rifles as there is nothing more frustrating than having to remove your scopes before storing your guns or juggling them to make them fit.
I will third it :D

I have a Brattonsound "5 gun" safe but the width only allows for three scoped rifles.

The small internal safe is a bit fiddly to access, but I use it for bolts and moderators and a separate safe for ammunition.

All fitted with chemical fixings from screwfix into brick wall and concrete floor.

4th it my 14 gun rifle cabinet takes 10 but does have a 22 cmmg hanging inside the door ....

if it says 5 take that as shotguns only ..
2020 GOOD DEALS WITH

Cutch Vortex Scope
Mauserbill Enfield Books

Enjoy today as tomorrow might not come .

Noli pati a scelestis opprimi.