Recommended Shooting Kit

New to the sport? Or just not sussed something out yet? Please ask your questions in here, there are many experienced shooters on the forum and someone will for sure come along and answer your question. This is a section for new shooters so if anyone can think of something please submit it.

Moderator: dromia

Ovenpaa
Site Supporter Since 2015

Re: Recommended Shooting Kit

#11 Post by Ovenpaa »

Shooting light is essential IMHO. I am a great believer in the 'If it does not fit in my pocket it stays at home' I cannot always apply this rule however if it does not fit in my pocket on warmer days it usually fits in an old Swiss gas mask bag I have.
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal
bradaz11
Sporadic Site Supporter
Home club or Range: The tunnel at Charmouth, BWSS

#12 Post by bradaz11 »

Ovenpaa wrote:Shooting light is essential IMHO. I am a great believer in the 'If it does not fit in my pocket it stays at home' I cannot always apply this rule however if it does not fit in my pocket on warmer days it usually fits in an old Swiss gas mask bag I have.
pretty hard to go shooting without the rifle though ;)
When guns are outlawed, only Outlaws will have guns
Maggot
Home club or Range: HRA and LERA

#13 Post by Maggot »

Ovenpaa wrote:Shooting light is essential IMHO. I am a great believer in the 'If it does not fit in my pocket it stays at home' I cannot always apply this rule however if it does not fit in my pocket on warmer days it usually fits in an old Swiss gas mask bag I have.
Lots of pockets in a drag bag and the ammo bags that are floating about carry all sorts of crap. This said the only stuff in there that is not used regualarly is some trauma kit (because if you have to go to the car to get it, it may be too late and hopefully will never be needed) and a seperated case extractor in the butt of the rifles.

Our most bulky items really is mags and ammo, and this is only (in my case) because I insist on loading the full complement pre match so its one less distraction, otherwise a couple of mags would do. I always keep 20 rounds always to hand but not in a mag in case there is a re-shoot, nothing worse than holding a shoot up as you run to teh car for spare ammo....done that...once :oops:

Winter kit is replaced with a sweat rag and sun cream in the summer and vise versa. I use my rite in the rain pad and pen a lot for recording scores (in case they get changed later!!!) and range data, but otherwise if it dont get used it gets ejected.

I wonder how many people have gone seraching their mates to borrow something they have in their bag-o-crap but have forgotten about? I know I have.
tony89

#14 Post by tony89 »

I'm sure you're being inundated with advice on kit here and in your club but something I always found useful when shooting target rifle was to have a block for my rounds. I drilled one out of wood for 25m (and others for 50m/100m) that was the shape of the targets and it helped me to keep track of where I was up to - 5 sighters and 10 for the match card. Apart from that my most important kit was my rifle, a good shooting jacket, and the same tired old jumper that I wore since I started shooting. Keeping the same clothing really helps to preserve the 'routine' that is vital for accurate and consistent shooting.

Once you get more into it and shoot a few shoulder-to-shoulder shoots you will develop your own routine and realise what kit you actually use. For instance I initially kept a notebook, then realised I didn't need to keep notes in it, but kept it anyway because it gave me something boring to read allowing me to focus and lower my heart rate before the match.

Hope that helps!
DaveB
Home club or Range: Wellington Service Rifle Assocaition; NZ Deerstalkers Association; Wairarapa Pistol & Shooting Sports Club

#15 Post by DaveB »

I didn't see a spotting scope on anybody's list so far. Very useful.
Ncb2734
Site Supporter Since 2020
Home club or Range: Spires rifle and pistol - Classic and Historic - NRA

#16 Post by Ncb2734 »

A decent flask of hot tea or coffee !!!!
snacks / sanwiches