Pheonix Gun Fair

Anything shooting related including law and procedure questions.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
Should your post be in Grumpy Old Men? This area is for general shooting related posts only please.
Rearlugs

Re: Pheonix Gun Fair

#11 Post by Rearlugs »

I abandoned the Phoenix this year - too expensive. The current show format means that your 6ft table is jammed between others, so selling space is extremely limited = very cost ineffective. In the past there was usually room to put up a couple of free-standing gun racks or something, but not now. Limited expensive space = limited stock to view = bored punters = low sales.

My "group" of 5/6 RFDs have asked NRA several times if we can put up our own marquee outside somewhere, but have always been refused. It seems that the NRA is absolutely not interested in allowing any expansion of the show beyond those few external legacy stands. Given the amount of lawn space available, there is plenty of room for a nice big "family day out" type of mixed show, which could be a big draw on a holiday weekend. Indeed, the NRA seems eager to let this space to non-shooting events, such as that Hayseed(?) gathering.

Dunno what to say. The NRA seems to regard arms fairs and exhibitions as a nuisance to be boxed in and kept as low key as possible. Perhaps there is some element of pandering to the hysterical "guns openly on sale" media? There is certainly seems to be no agreement with our view that encouraging a big show with lots of shooting sports related stands (including those militaria, knives, tools, clothing, saddlery, books, etc vendors) would be good for drawing the public into Bisley and helping to foster interest in shooting.
Chapuis

#12 Post by Chapuis »

christel wrote:Back when, the fee was dependant on who you asked.

Nothing and I mean nothing has been done to encourage anyone to go to the Phoenix.

Be that sellers or buyers.

Such a shame.
Or shooters for that matter if my recent experience with the NRA is anything to go on.
Dellboy
Site Supporter 2021
Home club or Range: Star Shooting Club

#13 Post by Dellboy »

Isnt it getting like that at all the shows ? The price for Birmingham was eye watering with everything an 'extra' the guys i spoke to struggled to break even and i guess its a similar thing at the Northern although the stalls were cheaper .
Is it just a way for the organisers to squeeze a few £££££ short term ?
2020 GOOD DEALS WITH

Cutch Vortex Scope
Mauserbill Enfield Books

Enjoy today as tomorrow might not come .

Noli pati a scelestis opprimi.

Christel
Site Admin

#14 Post by Christel »

The people I speak to are mostly of the opinion that shows are mainly to showcase, mingle, not necessarily to make a profit.

Most of the revenue associated with the attended show is achieved later, in the days and months after the show.

However it would be best if the time off, the driving/fuel, show fee, food etc did not exceed what was taken home in revenue.

Also if one is there for a charity there should not be a fee.
treetop
Home club or Range: Grove

#15 Post by treetop »

I found it very empty & a bit 'flat'. I actually feel for the stall holders having to shell out & hope that there are enough browsers to break even.
I doubt that many will be back next year unless they lower the cost of the stalls .
If they did they would encourage more traders & that itself would create a 'buzz' which would have a bigger effect in the following year.
Rem 700 6.5 Creedmoor XLR Envy
Rem 700 .223 XLR Element
CZ 527 17 Hornet - AICS copy
Various other calibre's
RDC

#16 Post by RDC »

The NRA don't seem to care about your views unless it is filled with praise. You can see it all the time on their social media.

Could have 100 people criticising an idea is x, y or z because of a, b or c (usually about pricing out your average person...) and the NRA will just point to the few people they claim are fully supportive of the idea.
Chapuis

#17 Post by Chapuis »

Those currently making the decisions in the NRA obviously have no memories of how busy Bisley was during the pistol anno domini meetings. The camp used to be simply buzzing with hundreds possibly thousands of people on camp for the entire weekend, many of whom travelled far just to attend the trade show as many didn't even shoot any competitions. I can remember cars parked on the grass all the way down the lawn in front of Canada house to almost the gates.

So what's gone wrong, after all we are told that certificate numbers are on the increase and that people are now more affluent with greater expendible income. Surely it's possible to get us back to at least where we were all those years ago. A massive increase in shooter footfall at Bisley would surely benefit the NRA, even if it's necessary to subsidice the event for a year or two in order to regenerate target shooting.
Pete
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: NRA Bisley

#18 Post by Pete »

RDC wrote:
Could have 100 people criticising an idea is x, y or z because of a, b or c (usually about pricing out your average person...) and the NRA will just point to the few people they claim are fully supportive of the idea.
Sounds a bit like our government when a question is raised about cuts to funding health, education, etc.

Pete
"Tantum religio potuit suadere malorum" Lucretius
You're offended? Please explain why your inability to control your emotions translates into me having to censor my opinions....
GeeRam
Home club or Range: PSC, Bisley

#19 Post by GeeRam »

I went on the Saturday morning last year, and it was rammed in the marquee and a struggle to walk between stalls.
Went on Sunday morning this year, to meet up with a few of our new club members that were going for first time....
Wow...place was empty.....shocking difference in numbers. Talking to Chris G on his stall, and he said that numbers were well down on Sat as well compared to last year.

Its only down the road for me, so not a big issue for me, but its certainly not worth a trip if you're not local.

It's a depressing world away from the event back in the 80's/90's era's.... :cry:
FredB
Site Supporter Since 2019
Home club or Range: stourport

#20 Post by FredB »

I went to all the Anno Domini meetings except the last one. The trade fair was magic: it contained new products at considerable discounts but, more importantly, it contained products that were difficult to source elswhere.
Nowadays, the market place is different. There is nothing available at the Phoenix trade fair which cannot be easily found in other place, usually local to the shooter. The exception is antique / obsolete guns. At the Phoenix, and more so at the Trafalgar, dealers who do not advertise extensively and are not on the internet appear with gems that are not found locally.
We have seen enormous effort go into the development of "pretend" military rifles, made from glorious plastic and aluminium. What is missing is new products in centrefire gallery rifle---other than the above "military" types ---and new developments in reloading equipment and calibres. The way ahead here seems to be led by the long range rifle shooters in "F" class and bench rest, which is not what the Phoenix is all about.
At the anno domini meeting, we regularly had new product launches, not just guns but also related equipment. The current trade fair is flat because this is not happening unless you want a ,22 or 9mm military clone.
The NRA exists to serve shooters: it has to make money to survive, but not by using a cost structure that discourages innovators and small dealers to attend. The grass roots is where progress comes from.
Fred