Hawke scopes

Anything shooting related including law and procedure questions.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
Should your post be in Grumpy Old Men? This area is for general shooting related posts only please.
joeuk
Home club or Range: Yorkshire shooting centre

Hawke scopes

#1 Post by joeuk »

Hi all just wondering if anybody as bought a Hawke scope in the cheaper range ie 6-24 magnification , I know people say spend loads on a scope but would rather put towards another rifle, so wondering how you find these scopes, clarity of lens and any issues. I will be shooting 100 metres but if possible would love to go shoot further when club members have another outing in the future.
Even any other lenses you have bought on the cheap and highly recommend would be a bonus info for future ref.
AL8

Re: Hawke scopes

#2 Post by AL8 »

I have used them on full bore rifles, short range is fine for me but they loose clarity at longer distances.
Try before you buy as not everyone can get on with them
joeuk

#3 Post by joeuk »

Forget to mention it will be for 17hmr 223 243 cal rifles , our club sells them so I will try them out. So many scopes out there but some are very pricey.
Les
Site Supporter Since 2015
Home club or Range: WRPC

#4 Post by Les »

Hawke scopes are great value for money, and their lifetime guarantee is excellent too. Most of their 'budget' scopes should be ideal for around 100 - 150 yards, but as already suggested, it is always a good idea to try-before-you-buy if you can. ;)
Geek
Site Supporter Since 2020
Home club or Range: Diggle Range and Rossendale Fusiliers

#5 Post by Geek »

I have two Hawke scopes on my rimfire rifles, however, I am not sure that I would use them on a centre fire rifle (they may be fine).
Regards,

Geek

AI AT (.308/6.5CM), Ruger PR (6.5CM), American Rimfire (.22LR), Remington 700 (.223), Marlin underlever .38/.357/.44, Savage 6BR, RimfireMagic .22LR, Fabarm Lion (s1), Fabarm Axis Baikal S/S
ukrifleman
Past Supporter

#6 Post by ukrifleman »

SDC19954.JPG
SDC19958.JPG
I had 3-9x40 Hawke Frontier on my K31 for a couple of years. I have now replaced it with a 5-15x50 Endurance SF with 1/2 mildot IR.

Both handled the recoil of the 7.5x55 round with no issues.

They are excellent value with very good optics for the money.

I have used the Endurance out to 800 yards and found it performed well.

ukrifleman
The Gun Pimp

#7 Post by The Gun Pimp »

If you want a Chinese scope then the Hawke is a decent Chinese scope. There are other Chinese scopes which are cheaper and just as good.
joeuk

#8 Post by joeuk »

ukrifleman wrote:
SDC19954.JPG
SDC19958.JPG
I had 3-9x40 Hawke Frontier on my K31 for a couple of years. I have now replaced it with a 5-15x50 Endurance SF with 1/2 mildot IR.

Both handled the recoil of the 7.5x55 round with no issues.

They are excellent value with very good optics for the money.

I have used the Endurance out to 800 yards and found it performed well.

ukrifleman
Wow fantastic gun you have would love to shoot one of those, had a go with a club members Mosin–Nagant and yes they do kick, if it can handle that then I am good to go, just need to read up about all the different extra like the parallax adjustment what ever that does and all the rest , most things are now made in china if the design is right then the Chinese can do a good job , lets face it iPhones are made there and own a fantastic British speaker thats made there so no problems with made in china.

ukrifleman glad someone else is into military rifles I am hoping to buy an enfield such a great gun to shot but will shoot this with iron sights so thats one less scope to buy lol.
WelshShooter
Site Supporter Since 2016

#9 Post by WelshShooter »

Parallax adjustment is an important feature if you want to shoot longer distances accurately. Adjusting parallax essentially puts the target and reticle on the same image plane. Why is this important? Once you have parallax set you can move your head up and down on the cheek rest slightly and the reticle will stay on target. If parallax is not set, then the reticle will wander if you move your head slightly. This means your shots could miss your target even though your reticle is on target.
joeuk

#10 Post by joeuk »

WelshShooter wrote:Parallax adjustment is an important feature if you want to shoot longer distances accurately. Adjusting parallax essentially puts the target and reticle on the same image plane. Why is this important? Once you have parallax set you can move your head up and down on the cheek rest slightly and the reticle will stay on target. If parallax is not set, then the reticle will wander if you move your head slightly. This means your shots could miss your target even though your reticle is on target.
Great info, only joined a couple of days ago and feel like I am learning more, I am sure the Hawke with this adjustment is not much more then the one without so seems worth the extra.