Does it need locking up?

Anything shooting related including law and procedure questions.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
Should your post be in Grumpy Old Men? This area is for general shooting related posts only please.
Gazza

Does it need locking up?

#1 Post by Gazza »

If a part of your gun is proof marked does it mean it needs to be locked in the cabinet?
I have taken the brake off my mossberg which is proof marked to fit the mod which I will be using most of the time so rather than taking space up in the ammo compartment of the cabinet I was just going to put it in my cleaning kit box.
If its proofed is it classed as a firearm even though it cannot fire anything?
Blackstuff
Site Supporter Since 2015

Re: Does it need locking up?

#2 Post by Blackstuff »

AFAIK there are no rules to go by for this type of thing, i.e. proof marked = licenseable part. Saying that, i think it would be a fair indicator that it would be regarded that way if say it was stolen and misused.

Personally speaking, if it forms part of a sound moderator I'd keep in in a cabinet/ammo safe, but i may have misunderstood your description of its function
DVC
Rockhopper

#3 Post by Rockhopper »

Is a Mossberg a shotgun? Ordinarily a moderator for a section 2 shotgun isn't controlled so I'd imagine a brake would be similar. A mod for a section 1 shotgun is controlled and I imagine a brake would be similar. I can't recall the exact wording of the law but unless you can prove that the brake isn't intended to reduce noise and flash (or to make the gun more easy to conceal or something along those lines) then best keep it locked up in my opinion (if its from a section 1 shotgun).
Gazza

#4 Post by Gazza »

This bit.
Attachments
proxy.duckduckgo.com.jpg
MistAgain

#5 Post by MistAgain »

A muzzle brake is not a licensed part , therefore there is no need to have it locked up .
snayperskaya
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: West Bank of the Volga.....

#6 Post by snayperskaya »

Rockhopper wrote:Is a Mossberg a shotgun?
Mossberg also make rifles as well as shotguns :good:
"The only real power comes out of a long rifle." - Joseph Stalin

Give a man a gun and he can rob a bank.....give a man a bank and he can rob the world!.

More than a vested interest in 7.62x54r!
bradaz11
Sporadic Site Supporter
Home club or Range: The tunnel at Charmouth, BWSS

#7 Post by bradaz11 »

usually, my understanding is, if it is on your ticket, it needs to be locked up, if it is not entered on an FAC, it doesn't.
When guns are outlawed, only Outlaws will have guns
Ovenpaa
Site Supporter Since 2015

#8 Post by Ovenpaa »

bradaz11 wrote:usually, my understanding is, if it is on your ticket, it needs to be locked up, if it is not entered on an FAC, it doesn't.
I would agree although common sense does need to prevail.
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal
Sim G
Past Supporter

#9 Post by Sim G »

No, it doesn’t locking up. All that proof mark represents on a muzzle brake, if an over-exuberance by the Proof House to exploit as much money as possible, aided by 150 year old legislation.

It’s akin to attempting the maintenance of an electric car via the practices of animal husbandry....
In 1978 I was told by my grand dad that the secret to rifle accuracy is, a quality bullet, fired down a quality barrel..... How has that changed?

Guns dont kill people. Dads with pretty Daughters do...!