FAC - Sent

New to the sport? Or just not sussed something out yet? Please ask your questions in here, there are many experienced shooters on the forum and someone will for sure come along and answer your question. This is a section for new shooters so if anyone can think of something please submit it.

Moderator: dromia

CraigH
Site Supporter Since 2019
Home club or Range: Mayfair Sunderland

FAC - Sent

#1 Post by CraigH »

Hi all

Sent off my FAC application to Northumbria police 12 days ago, so far they haven't cashed the cheque - but yesterday they contacted one of my referees, is this the way it normally goes? I expected them to take the money first.
Ralph
Past Supporter

Re: FAC - Sent

#2 Post by Ralph »

In my area they don't take the money till it is granted, save giving refunds if it is rejected,
they never contacted any of my ref's as the guy that called said they would only tell him
what a dam fine chap I was anyway.
That they have already contacted one of your would give me a bit of confidence they were moving on with it.
Ralph NW UK
Interested in muzzle loading and anything that makes a loud noise and goes fast.
CraigH

#3 Post by CraigH »

Ralph wrote:In my area they don't take the money till it is granted, save giving refunds if it is rejected,
thankssign

Makes sense, I didn't think of that.
Blackstuff
Site Supporter Since 2015

#4 Post by Blackstuff »

Durham and Northumbria have always cashed the cheques immediately in my experience and then just dealt with the refund after the fact if required. That saves having to keep hold of a physical cheque and lessens the chances of losing it.

However i wouldn't read anything into it, they may have recently adopted a different way of working, they have just got a new manager and she might have changed things up a bit. If you don't hear anything within 8 weeks of sending in the application, give them a call.
DVC
CraigH

#5 Post by CraigH »

I have a date for my visit (next week), so that will be 5 weeks from posting application - cheque still not cashed, so as above Northumbria may have changed their policy.

When they do come out what is the process, is it a full security check of the house room by room or do they just look at the cabinet?

I have two teenage kids whose rooms I have refused to enter for the last year in case I get mauled by whatever wildlife is living in there - if there is a full security check I'm going to have to go into the kids rooms with Napalm to try and sort them out.
Pippin89
Home club or Range: Chichester Rifle and Pistol Club

#6 Post by Pippin89 »

CraigH wrote:I have a date for my visit (next week), so that will be 5 weeks from posting application - cheque still not cashed, so as above Northumbria may have changed their policy.

When they do come out what is the process, is it a full security check of the house room by room or do they just look at the cabinet?

I have two teenage kids whose rooms I have refused to enter for the last year in case I get mauled by whatever wildlife is living in there - if there is a full security check I'm going to have to go into the kids rooms with Napalm to try and sort them out.
I can't answer your question but that did make me laugh!! lol lol lol

I'm sure someone wiser than I will be along shortly to answer!
Mattnall
Site Supporter Since 2016
Home club or Range: Harlow TAC, NRA, BSRC

#7 Post by Mattnall »

CraigH wrote: When they do come out what is the process, is it a full security check of the house room by room or do they just look at the cabinet?
They will look at the location and fixing of the cabinet and the general security of the house.

They will not search your house for dust devils and dropped socks and will certainly not go room to room unless they think this will have some bearing on your suitability (or lack of) to hold firearms.
Arming the Country, one gun at a time.

Good deals with Paul101, Charlotte the flyer, majordisorder, Charlie Muggins, among others. Thanks everybody.
CraigH

#8 Post by CraigH »

Thanks Matnall - I was thinking I might have to advise him to get rabies shots before attending
Mattnall
Site Supporter Since 2016
Home club or Range: Harlow TAC, NRA, BSRC

#9 Post by Mattnall »

You're welcome.
Don't worry about it, the visit is normally a formality after they have already made all the background checks, unless you have loads of nazi flags about and start spouting about personal defence you'll be fine.
Arming the Country, one gun at a time.

Good deals with Paul101, Charlotte the flyer, majordisorder, Charlie Muggins, among others. Thanks everybody.