Muzzle Breaks

Anything shooting related including law and procedure questions.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
Should your post be in Grumpy Old Men? This area is for general shooting related posts only please.
shotgun sam

Muzzle Breaks

#1 Post by shotgun sam »

I am looking for a bit of clarification, last night one of the boys at the gun club was saying his son is doing training to become a police officer (Scotland)
One of the subjects that were covered was firearms, He told his dad that if you are caught with a muzzle break without a valid firearms certificate you are breaking the law, as muzzle breaks can be bought online I find that statement very strange.
Sam
mossberg 500
meteor mk2
smk 19 (0.22)
ruger 12/22 stainless synthetic 22lr
cz 452 style 16 inch 22lr
tikka t3 lite stainless 223
308 howa 1500 varmint
BSA Lightning XL (0.22)
Lanber Over and Under
Baikal mp153
AYA Cosmos 410
1917 BSA SMLE 303
rox

Re: Muzzle Breaks

#2 Post by rox »

shotgun sam wrote:He told his dad that if you are caught with a muzzle break without a valid firearms certificate you are breaking the law
He is correct.

If you were in posession of a muzzle break you would be breaking laws.

Laws of physics; you can't posess something that doesn't exist.

kennyc
Home club or Range: hunters NRPC

#3 Post by kennyc »

shotgun sam wrote:I am looking for a bit of clarification, last night one of the boys at the gun club was saying his son is doing training to become a police officer (Scotland)
One of the subjects that were covered was firearms, He told his dad that if you are caught with a muzzle break without a valid firearms certificate you are breaking the law, as muzzle breaks can be bought online I find that statement very strange.
Sam
he is probably referring to a flash hider not a muzzle brake, although they look almost identical and serve similar purposes, the flash hider is specifically mentioned in the Laws, in fact here is a link mentioning a discussion on this very site cheers
Blackstuff
Site Supporter Since 2015

#4 Post by Blackstuff »

Oh dear god, not this again wallhead
DVC
BamBam

#5 Post by BamBam »

lol
Odd Job

#6 Post by Odd Job »

A flash hider is regulated, same as a moderator.
A muzzle brake or a compensator is not.
Good judgement comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgement.
Odd Job

#7 Post by Odd Job »

For the purposes of clarity, I would play it safe and not purchase a muzzle device which is specifically advertised as a being a flash hider.
A muzzle brake or compensator may have the exact same architecture as a flash hider, but since it is sold as a brake and you install it as a brake and are proud of your new brake, you avoid unnecessary scrutiny...
Good judgement comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgement.
Gazza

#8 Post by Gazza »

If I sell the flash hider off my AR as a muzzle brake then its OK? :D
snayperskaya
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: West Bank of the Volga.....

#9 Post by snayperskaya »

"The only real power comes out of a long rifle." - Joseph Stalin

Give a man a gun and he can rob a bank.....give a man a bank and he can rob the world!.

More than a vested interest in 7.62x54r!
Geek
Site Supporter Since 2020
Home club or Range: Diggle Range and Rossendale Fusiliers

#10 Post by Geek »

kennyc wrote:
shotgun sam wrote:I am looking for a bit of clarification, last night one of the boys at the gun club was saying his son is doing training to become a police officer (Scotland)
Sam
he is probably referring to a flash hider not a muzzle brake, although they look almost identical and serve similar purposes, the flash hider is specifically mentioned in the Laws, in fact here is a link mentioning a discussion on this very site cheers
That was my understanding too, since muzzle brakes are not listed on your FAC unlike a moderator which is listed and therefore controlled.

Also, if an item is listed on your FAC then it must be within your safe when not in use, unlike say a magazine.
Regards,

Geek

AI AT (.308/6.5CM), Ruger PR (6.5CM), American Rimfire (.22LR), Remington 700 (.223), Marlin underlever .38/.357/.44, Savage 6BR, RimfireMagic .22LR, Fabarm Lion (s1), Fabarm Axis Baikal S/S