New Cadet rifle .. that replaced the No 8

All things rimfire including target, benchrest, hunters, semi autos and plinkers.

Moderator: dromia

kennyc
Home club or Range: hunters NRPC

Re: New Cadet rifle .. that replaced the No 8

#21 Post by kennyc »

EagerNoSkill wrote:The current service rifle equivalent for cadets is the L98A2 in 5.56mm
It is shot with iron sights only. Typically distances of 25 to 300 meters
They get changes to shoot in various positions: Prone, Kneeling, Seated, Firing pits (Upright unsupported is very limited for safety reasons)
There is a 22lr conversion kit

Difference to L85
The main difference between the GP and the SA80 IW (Individual Weapon) is that the GP is a straight pull manually-operated rifle that is semi automatic only. the change lever ha also been removed however small holes at the rear end of the rifle can still be seen where the change lever should have been positioned had it been used in the armed forces rather than the cadet forces

The cadets do not have access to full auto weapons.
They may however on special controlled occasions be shown or demonstrated full auto weapons

http://atc.wikia.com/wiki/L98A2_Cadet_GP_Rifle
when I was a cadet we used No8's, martini action single shots, and an full on target rifle for interservice contests, when I did my Marksmans course at Whale Island (Tipnor range) we used No4's, SLR's, LMG (Bren) and Sterling smgs, fun days when ammo was free bangbang
Yalan

#22 Post by Yalan »

To go back to the original post.....

The rifles are poor but generally servicable.
The main problem is those appalling sights. Who in their right mind fits 'target sights' which require a screwdriver to undo 'locking screws' to adjust mid-shoot? Don't tighten them? No - they just wobble all over. Oh and 1 in 10 don't even have enough travel to get a bullet on target at the intended distance.
Mattnall
Site Supporter Since 2016
Home club or Range: Harlow TAC, NRA, BSRC

#23 Post by Mattnall »

Sights are extremely poor on many of them and do not have enough travel to get on target at 25yds.
Arming the Country, one gun at a time.

Good deals with Paul101, Charlotte the flyer, majordisorder, Charlie Muggins, among others. Thanks everybody.
RJ156

#24 Post by RJ156 »

Yalan wrote:To go back to the original post.....

The rifles are poor but generally servicable.
The main problem is those appalling sights. Who in their right mind fits 'target sights' which require a screwdriver to undo 'locking screws' to adjust mid-shoot? Don't tighten them? No - they just wobble all over. Oh and 1 in 10 don't even have enough travel to get a bullet on target at the intended distance.
They get worse

The stock is supposedly held together with water soluble glue...... so can’t be use in inclement weather
Alan D
Home club or Range: Private range

#25 Post by Alan D »

The No8 is a fantastic rifle, it's the first rifle that I and many of my generation used as a Cadet.

I am fortunate in having one of the ex NZ examples in my collection, but the Mod will scrap all surviving No8's due to international arms control treaties.

The L42 rifles were likely the last service rifles that will be available for the UK civilian shooter, and these were never supposed to be released to the UK market.

We have seen the wholesale destruction of the L96 inventory, the No8's are following them to the guillotine too I am afraid gents.
RJ156

#26 Post by RJ156 »

Is there any way to purchase from MOD should you know where some are just sat?
Pippin89
Home club or Range: Chichester Rifle and Pistol Club

#27 Post by Pippin89 »

When I was a Cadet we used No.8's for a normal shooting evening and at the time I didn't know any better I thought it was great. No sling of course as it would take too long to set everyone up. So we just took the weight of them like men! lol

On more planned events we used L98's (single shot straight pulls only, no semi's) in 5.56. and occasionally we used a semi auto variant which I believe was L85?? And on one occasion I got to fire a GPMG which was enormous fun! Ironic really how 13 year olds with little to no experience have access to more firearms than competition shooters with 30 years experience.
Jamesj
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: Epsom Rifle Club

#28 Post by Jamesj »

The No.8 was the first bolt action rifle I shot as a cadet and used to shoot it left handed! Always posed an extra challenge when snap shooting or 60 second rapids.

I always wanted one for a bit of nostalgia and was lucky enough to find this one in mint condition. Still have the original flip up sights but upgraded to the Parker Hale target sights as it was what I used to shoot with back in the day.

Sent from my boing using "An application"
David TS
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: Grove Small Arms, LERA, SEESA

#29 Post by David TS »

RJ156 wrote:Is there any way to purchase from MOD should you know where some are just sat?
Hell will freeze over first......... 8-)
David TS
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: Grove Small Arms, LERA, SEESA

#30 Post by David TS »

Mind you, I did manage to get one of the ones that sneaked out years ago.........