The clock is ticking....

New to the sport? Or just not sussed something out yet? Please ask your questions in here, there are many experienced shooters on the forum and someone will for sure come along and answer your question. This is a section for new shooters so if anyone can think of something please submit it.

Moderator: dromia

Pippin89
Home club or Range: Chichester Rifle and Pistol Club

Re: The clock is ticking....

#51 Post by Pippin89 »

Both my references got phone calls yesterday so that's the last piece of the puzzle.

However, chatting to the FEO who is a member of the club last night, he said that there are delays due to Sussex and Surrey merging. Fingers crossed but I won't hold my breath
MarkW
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: Mendip Shooting Club

#52 Post by MarkW »

Pippin89 wrote:Both my references got phone calls yesterday so that's the last piece of the puzzle.

However, chatting to the FEO who is a member of the club last night, he said that there are delays due to Sussex and Surrey merging. Fingers crossed but I won't hold my breath

I spoke to my reference giver a few days ago but as of then he hadn't been contacted. But my visit isn't for another 7 days so still time. Unless A&S speak to them after the visit? Which I'd of thought would be the wrong way round. But some organizations seem to work in strange ways
Pippin89

#53 Post by Pippin89 »

MarkW wrote:
Pippin89 wrote:Both my references got phone calls yesterday so that's the last piece of the puzzle.

I spoke to my reference giver a few days ago but as of then he hadn't been contacted. But my visit isn't for another 7 days so still time. Unless A&S speak to them after the visit? Which I'd of thought would be the wrong way round. But some organizations seem to work in strange ways
I thought that would be the case as well. But they called my references a week and a half after they visited. Seems odd to me as if the referencing doesn't work out then they could have wasted their time...
MarkW
Past Supporter

#54 Post by MarkW »

Todays job was fitting my cabinet. What a drama. I live in cottage built in the 1600's. But it was revamped about 10yr ago. So all the walls are now flat after the builder covered the interior in plasterboard.
Anyway, found my spot, drilled through and bugger me, there was between 60-100mm between the plasterboard and the old wall. So much head scratching later, a big FO hole cut in the plasterboard and cabinet sunk in and bolted up.
Rock solid now. Just have the visit on Thurs to do now.
Does anyone have any idea of how long from visit to SGC popping in the door?
Pippin89

#55 Post by Pippin89 »

MarkW wrote:a big FO hole
That would have been my suggestion in those exact words! It pleases me that you would have understood the reference!

FEO said they normally take about an hour but was with me for 1.5 hours. Guess it depends how many questions you ask etc. Mine was coterminous though, I would imagine SGC only might be slightly quicker.
MarkW
Past Supporter

#56 Post by MarkW »

Pippin89 wrote:
MarkW wrote:a big FO hole
That would have been my suggestion in those exact words! It pleases me that you would have understood the reference!

FEO said they normally take about an hour but was with me for 1.5 hours. Guess it depends how many questions you ask etc. Mine was coterminous though, I would imagine SGC only might be slightly quicker.
Our visit is at 1600hrs and is for the wife and I. So I'm assuming we'll be chatted to together rather than alone. Can't wait to get it done now
MarkW
Past Supporter

#57 Post by MarkW »

Had a panic moment yesterday, Visit team called the wife to cancel our visit. But a quick call back and it was rescheduled for 1000hrs rather than 1600. Panic over. Worked late yesterday so was looking forward to a lie in today. Then at 0900 a call from visit team, running ahead of schedule and he'd be with us at 0930.
He turned up, had a very informal chat, looked at the cabinet and that was it. He said he'd contact my refferee shortly to have a chat with him. But they were a bit backed up with work so not to expect our SGC until end of Jan. I had hoped for end of Dec but hey ho, more time to save for guns for me and the Mrs.
Going to be a long wait now
Pippin89

#58 Post by Pippin89 »

MarkW wrote:Had a panic moment yesterday, Visit team called the wife to cancel our visit. But a quick call back and it was rescheduled for 1000hrs rather than 1600. Panic over. Worked late yesterday so was looking forward to a lie in today. Then at 0900 a call from visit team, running ahead of schedule and he'd be with us at 0930.
He turned up, had a very informal chat, looked at the cabinet and that was it. He said he'd contact my refferee shortly to have a chat with him. But they were a bit backed up with work so not to expect our SGC until end of Jan. I had hoped for end of Dec but hey ho, more time to save for guns for me and the Mrs.
Fingers crossed for you. I am still waiting for mine unfortunately... Seen 2 rifles come and go that I had plans on buying! There will be more though. Just fingers crossed it comes today or tomorrow so I can go shopping this weekend. Otherwise I am then in India on business from next weekend for a week so it will be an even longer wait! haha
MarkW
Past Supporter

#59 Post by MarkW »

MarkW wrote:Had a panic moment yesterday, Visit team called the wife to cancel our visit. But a quick call back and it was rescheduled for 1000hrs rather than 1600. Panic over. Worked late yesterday so was looking forward to a lie in today. Then at 0900 a call from visit team, running ahead of schedule and he'd be with us at 0930.
Had a call from my referee yesterday, he's had his call from the visit teams. Was on the phone less than a couple of minutes. So now it's a big wait.
Pippin89

#60 Post by Pippin89 »

Finally my certs are here!!! Its been a long road but I can happily say I am now considered worthy.... I have a feeling this weekend will be an expensive one!