Gun Socks

Anything shooting related including law and procedure questions.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
Should your post be in Grumpy Old Men? This area is for general shooting related posts only please.
Polchraine

Gun Socks

#1 Post by Polchraine »

Early next week I will be collecting my nice new gun ... taken a while to get it finished to my size and requirements. It has a nice/impressive walnut stock and I don't want to accidentally damage it when using the cabinet.

A Gun-Sock is the best idea but there are so many out there and vary in price from £3 to £30. Which one do you use to protect yours? Rifle, scope, shotgun, spare barrels ... which brand to use or avoid.

"The trouble with quotes on the internet is that it's difficult to discern whether or not they are genuine."
- Abraham Lincoln

Why did kamikaze pilots wear helmets?

God loves stupid people, that is why he made so many of them.
Pippin89
Home club or Range: Chichester Rifle and Pistol Club

Re: Gun Socks

#2 Post by Pippin89 »

I have these. Haven't used them yet but they seem good quality. And the reviews on them were ok.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07 ... UTF8&psc=1
James84

#3 Post by James84 »

I've always used Tourbon. You can get a pack of 5 from Amazon for £33:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/TOURBON-Huntin ... 89&sr=8-10
Gazza

#4 Post by Gazza »

All mine are socked up with the speckled Ebay ones. Speckled silicon impregnated in brown or green with two different lengths.
:good:
Pippin89
Home club or Range: Chichester Rifle and Pistol Club

#5 Post by Pippin89 »

I suspect all of the above are the same ones made in the same factory by the same people so I don't think you can go wrong.
Gazza

#6 Post by Gazza »

I think the silicon impregnation works as an old 410 which wasn't socked started to show signs of rust while the socked ones were still good. :good:
Think I paid around 3 quid each for mine and yes, they probably are all from the same place.
J4mes
Home club or Range: Classified

#7 Post by J4mes »

I keep my shotguns in socks and then wrap various other bits (like my LBP) in cheap pillow cases.
MotorRacingBruce1980
Home club or Range: 5th Sussex Home Guard Rifle Club Worthing, Ford/Yapton, Fittleworth, Bisley

#8 Post by MotorRacingBruce1980 »

Any sock is going to be better than no sock as it does save from getting marks from knocks and bumps.
Anschutz Supermatch54, CZ452 LTH, Savage 16 FCSS 223, Ruger No1 243,
Enfield No4 Mk1/2 303, Mauser M18 308, Martini Henry Mk3 577/450, Chiappa 1892 357mag, Franchi Affin 12g, Miroku Mk38 GD5 Trap 12g, Ugartechea BLE SxS 12g, BSA R10 22, Webley Alecto 177
Polchraine

#9 Post by Polchraine »

MotorRacingBruce1980 wrote:Any sock is going to be better than no sock as it does save from getting marks from knocks and bumps.
With my current "collection" even including a 16g from around 1930 valued at several thousand, I have never worrried too much. However with a new semi-bespoke arriving, I dont want to unnecessariliy knock/bump it.

Thanks all for the comments and links too - I need several items from Amazon, so will add a set to that.

"The trouble with quotes on the internet is that it's difficult to discern whether or not they are genuine."
- Abraham Lincoln

Why did kamikaze pilots wear helmets?

God loves stupid people, that is why he made so many of them.
GeeRam
Home club or Range: PSC, Bisley

#10 Post by GeeRam »

James048 wrote:I've always used Tourbon. You can get a pack of 5 from Amazon for £33:
Yep, have all my rifles and the shotgun in Tourbon socks in my cabinet.

Only the Stg.44 isn't in a sock for obvious reasons lol