Warminster weapons trial Pair guilty over stolen army rifle.

Anything shooting related including law and procedure questions.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
Should your post be in Grumpy Old Men? This area is for general shooting related posts only please.
David TS
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: Grove Small Arms, LERA, SEESA

Re: Warminster weapons trial Pair guilty over stolen army ri

#51 Post by David TS »

Snap Alan!

And just to clarify, Alan and I aren't working in collusion, we just know the real facts........
breacher
Home club or Range: EBSC

#52 Post by breacher »

Theft is theft.

Whether it is from a scrap bin or not.

Just like it would be if worn out banknotes destined for the furnace were taken by an employee.
http://www.phoenixtactical.co.uk

RFD 2043 Cambridgeshire
Dark Skies
Home club or Range: NRA

#53 Post by Dark Skies »

breacher wrote:Theft is theft.

Whether it is from a scrap bin or not.

Just like it would be if worn out banknotes destined for the furnace were taken by an employee.
True. And he was in a position of trust.

And yet ...

... stealing guns from the government (after all they've done to us over the years) makes it difficult to contain my indifference.
"I don't like my job and I don't think I'm gonna go anymore."
Sim G
Past Supporter

#54 Post by Sim G »

Facts? What facts have you so presented that allows you slap each other on the back, with such relish? That the Hi-Power was his, which he deactivated? Evidently without submitting to proof, so still a firearm. But that's not what interests me. Technical breaches we should all be careful about as any of us could befall them. But dishonesty, from a character within out small sphere who was so revered and had built his reputation on his "word", now that is the intriguing part.

What you have both attempted is to subjugate the facts to fit your own narrative. And as Brian has rightly pointed out, theft is theft. And theft by employee, ie position of trust, is regarded as more severe as far as the law is concerned.

But let's take your narrative anyway. So Laidler just "helped" himself to bits from the scrap bin? And then, as I've read, put these bits together, to make a rifle that he purported to be genuine and flogged it for over five figures!! Where's there's muck there's brass, then?

And what about the poor person that bought this "bitsa" from the esteemed Mr Laidler? It could have killed whomever they are, given your version. So dishonestly appropriates the items, sells them purporting to be something else, then risks the safety of the poor individual who was duped? Thief? We could add fraud to that as well. And top that off with endangering lives! Top bloke you've decided to offer support to!

72 years old or 102 years old, "no one is above the law", a concept that has existed since 1215.
In 1978 I was told by my grand dad that the secret to rifle accuracy is, a quality bullet, fired down a quality barrel..... How has that changed?

Guns dont kill people. Dads with pretty Daughters do...!
Maggot
Home club or Range: HRA and LERA

#55 Post by Maggot »

Alan D wrote:
mag41uk wrote:How sad - a deactivated L96
An L96 in any capacity is as rare as unicorn horns, they we're never released from service to to arms control obligations.

Wth the exception of a tiny number preserved for official museum display, they have all been destroyed.

There are persistent rumours of L96's in public ownership however, if anyone has one on their FAC, they can expect a call from MOD plod at some point and they better have done their due diligence!

Much the same as the rounding up of L98's, even with proof of purchase and evidence they were actually available for public sale back in the day....

The MOD don't have the records to prove it it was an MOD registered rifle or not!

Illegally kept with the threat of being chopped.....

MOD plod couldn't find their collective arses with both hands if you ask me!
Interesting. I have personally fired 2, both belonging to a private owner. One marked with Malcolm Coopers original manufacture but an L nom, the other an early AI offering. The owner is in a position through which I would expect him to know the law, otherwise we are fairly well screwed. His collection is pretty well known and he is still free...and serving. Funny what you learn online.
Alan D
Home club or Range: Private range

#56 Post by Alan D »

Maggot wrote:
Alan D wrote:
mag41uk wrote:How sad - a deactivated L96
An L96 in any capacity is as rare as unicorn horns, they we're never released from service to to arms control obligations.

Wth the exception of a tiny number preserved for official museum display, they have all been destroyed.

There are persistent rumours of L96's in public ownership however, if anyone has one on their FAC, they can expect a call from MOD plod at some point and they better have done their due diligence!

Much the same as the rounding up of L98's, even with proof of purchase and evidence they were actually available for public sale back in the day....

The MOD don't have the records to prove it it was an MOD registered rifle or not!

Illegally kept with the threat of being chopped.....

MOD plod couldn't find their collective arses with both hands if you ask me!
Interesting. I have personally fired 2, both belonging to a private owner. One marked with Malcolm Coopers original manufacture but an L nom, the other an early AI offering. The owner is in a position through which I would expect him to know the law, otherwise we are fairly well screwed. His collection is pretty well known and he is still free...and serving. Funny what you learn online.
I believe there are a small number of ex police examples and early pre production L96's out there, happily on FAC's, luckily buggers!

However military examples is another story, as described in the above thread.
Ovenpaa
Site Supporter Since 2015

#57 Post by Ovenpaa »

I know of four examples of the L96 in private hands here in the UK, however I do not know if they are ex police of MoD. One of them came back into the UK via the continent so they do exist. Right now I am staring at an original L96 rear sight and somewhere on a shelf is an original L96 stock side plus some other bits n bobs :)
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal
Strangely Brown
Home club or Range: NRA

#58 Post by Strangely Brown »

Alan D wrote: However military examples is another story, as described in the above thread.
I believe all if not most of the police examples are marked L96A1, although some of them have the swirly police type moderator.
Mick
Maggot
Home club or Range: HRA and LERA

#59 Post by Maggot »

Strangely Brown wrote:
Alan D wrote: However military examples is another story, as described in the above thread.
I believe all if not most of the police examples are marked L96A1, although some of them have the swirly police type moderator.
Does any of it really matter though Mick? Really?

It's all about tin pot bloody experts being given a platform mate.

Thank god I am out of it goodjob
Sim G
Past Supporter

#60 Post by Sim G »

uote="Maggot"]

Thank god I am out of it goodjob[/quote]

Couldn’t ask in your sales thread, so I’ll ask in this conversation. Why you knocking it on the head?
In 1978 I was told by my grand dad that the secret to rifle accuracy is, a quality bullet, fired down a quality barrel..... How has that changed?

Guns dont kill people. Dads with pretty Daughters do...!