FAC Springer air rifles

Anything shooting related including law and procedure questions.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
Should your post be in Grumpy Old Men? This area is for general shooting related posts only please.
Ovenpaa
Site Supporter Since 2015

FAC Springer air rifles

#1 Post by Ovenpaa »

I have just finished tidying up a lovely .22 Mk1 Weihrauch HW80 air rifle, unfortunately it is averaging around the 16.5 ft/lbs energy mark so will need to be held on an FAC. Is there a market for FAC springers these days or am I better off taking it back to below the legal limit. Bearing in mind this is a 40 years old air rifle is it worth the time and effort? You can tell I do not have a grasp of the air rifle market!

Thoughts anyone?
IMG_6219.JPG
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal
Mattnall
Site Supporter Since 2016
Home club or Range: Harlow TAC, NRA, BSRC

Re: FAC Springer air rifles

#2 Post by Mattnall »

I have been lead to believe that once over the limit it is S1 even if the power can be reduced.
I have a lovely Sirocco 22 springer here that is FAC but I was told it cannot be reduced to non-FAC status even if the power can be reduced - if is a bugger to sell as not only FAC but left handed too.
Arming the Country, one gun at a time.

Good deals with Paul101, Charlotte the flyer, majordisorder, Charlie Muggins, among others. Thanks everybody.
Ovenpaa

#3 Post by Ovenpaa »

Yes, this one is left handed although it is quite comfortable for me as a right handed shooter. As far as I know this one was never on an FAC so has never officially been recorded as Section 1. If it was a centrefire it would be bad enough but as a springer... Sheesh, it is nigh on cut-off saw time :(
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal
Les
Home club or Range: WRPC

#4 Post by Les »

Most HW80's were originally around the 18fpe mark when they were made. This was in the days before the 12fpe maximum power limit was devised, so unless it has been held on a ticket, it will be OK to bring it back to the sub12fpe limit. :good:

You can either fit a tuning kit, or just reduce the spring if it is still in decent condition. ;)
Pete
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: NRA Bisley

#5 Post by Pete »

If you want a springer par excellence, look for a Whiscombe................recoil-less, hand built, and up to 28ft/lbs............

https://www.americanairgunner.com/whiscombe-air-rifle/

Pete
"Tantum religio potuit suadere malorum" Lucretius
You're offended? Please explain why your inability to control your emotions translates into me having to censor my opinions....