Just applying for my first FAC & SGC

New to the sport? Or just not sussed something out yet? Please ask your questions in here, there are many experienced shooters on the forum and someone will for sure come along and answer your question. This is a section for new shooters so if anyone can think of something please submit it.

Moderator: dromia

andy1979
Home club or Range: Wednesbury Marksmen

Just applying for my first FAC & SGC

#1 Post by andy1979 »

Hi Guys

I'm just getting my ducks in a row before I submit my applications for my FAC and SGC but I've a couple of things i'm worried about.

First off in 2010 when I split with my first wife my doctor put me on anti depressants for a short period I've not had any medication for depression for years.
I do take Amitriptyline but that is as a muscle relaxant and pain blocker for a spinal condition i have.

Secondly last year me and my partner has a domestic over something and nothing which ended up with me being arrested and charged with Assault by beating (I was stopping my Mrs from thumping me) it went to court and it was dismissed through lack of evidence. without trying to sound like a sexist pig it was the bra burning copper that pushed it as far as she could she was a nasty piece of work that one.

Thirdly i live in a shockingly bad area and i'm concerned it will be an automatic rejection just because of that.

I'm a decent guy never had any trouble with the police before last year i'm an ex prison officer and have worked and had access to aircraft at airports so I've being vetted to a fairly decent level before with no issues.

I'm going to look at joining a club on Thursday night can i be serving my club probation while i'm waiting for west midlands police to do their bit currently the wait is 3 months + for certificates or do i have to be a full member at the time of submission?

How likely am I to get Issued my certificates?

Thanks in advance
Les
Site Supporter Since 2015
Home club or Range: WRPC

Re: Just applying for my first FAC & SGC

#2 Post by Les »

andy1979 wrote:How likely am I to get Issued my certificates?
You're probably never going to know until you try. ;)
andy1979

#3 Post by andy1979 »

Les wrote:
andy1979 wrote:How likely am I to get Issued my certificates?
You're probably never going to know until you try. ;)
Thanks I'm probably worrying over nothing.
kevinww

#4 Post by kevinww »

You'll have to be a full member of club at time of FAC submission.
Rockhopper

#5 Post by Rockhopper »

Yes, full member of a club which usually takes six months then you can apply and wait for however long it takes in your area. You’ll need to be a regular attender during the six month probation period as well.
What shooting route do you want to go down?
If you want to bust clays you can apply for your SGC now but if you really want an FAC for target shooting it’s better to apply for coterminous (sp?) tickets.
Blackstuff
Site Supporter Since 2015

#6 Post by Blackstuff »

As mentioned, you have to be a full member before you apply, 3-6 months regular attendance depending on the club, most seem to do the full 6 months probationary period for non-certificate holders.

You'd likely find out within that time if your application was going to be a complete non-starter as the club is obligated to inform them police of any new member applications and they'll give you a quick check over to make sure you're not a 'prohibited person'.
DVC
Pippin89
Home club or Range: Chichester Rifle and Pistol Club

#7 Post by Pippin89 »

As others have said you will have to wait until you're a full member before you apply.

As for your other issues, the anti-depressants shouldn't be an issue as long as you are given a clean bill of health now and you are open and honest. Same goes for your other condition. Make sure you list them and expect to be asked about them in your interview with your FEO.
The other issue might raise a few eye-brows and will come down to your FEO in the end. They are normally pretty sensible and can see a story like yours for what it is. But if they have any concerns that you are not telling the truth then they will not grant it. My only advice is to be completely honest about everything and don't try to hide anything. They are coppers and therefore good at smelling a rat...

Living in a bad area alone is not reason for them to say no, but they might ask you to put in additional security. This might come as a verbal request saying "please install a simple camera" or something. Or they might decide you need the next level of security which may be a monitored alarm.
Details of the security levels are found here.
https://assets.publishing.service.gov.u ... eaflet.pdf
Mattnall
Site Supporter Since 2016
Home club or Range: Harlow TAC, NRA, BSRC

#8 Post by Mattnall »

You could speak to the Firearms Licensing Department now and ask them. They'll be able to advise on best course of action and on any likely outcome.

In the meantime join a club and take it from there. You can use their facilities and firearms for as long as you like (if they agree) and never need apply for the FAC if you don't want.
Arming the Country, one gun at a time.

Good deals with Paul101, Charlotte the flyer, majordisorder, Charlie Muggins, among others. Thanks everybody.
andy1979

#9 Post by andy1979 »

Thanks for the input guys.

I'm off to visit the first and my preferred of two ranges near me on Thursday night as that's probation night for them hopefully get signed up and start to serve my 12 week probation.

I've just got off the phone with Staffordshire and West Midlands police firearms dept spoke to a really helpful lady who's put my mind at ease.

The mild depressants shouldn't be an issue as it was 9 years ago and i'm not being currently treated.
Current medication won't be an issue either.

The domestic incident shouldn't cause many issues as it was dismissed by a court and no further actioned but the FEO will make the assessment during interview but she said by speaking with me she doesn't foresee an issue.

She's never known anyone be refused a certificate for the area they live in she did a quick search but there are no certificate holders in my area which don't surprise me to be honest.

I'm being as honest as I can with everything the domestic incident was me restraining my Mrs because she went to thump me one but because i used a prison restraint technique it was deemed excessive force, hence the charge but all is good now in fact we got married 3 weeks ago in Florida.

I already have CCTV on my house so hopefully that will go for me.

Ordered my cabinet last night so i'll get that installed while i'm at home over Christmas.

We'll see what happens but after speaking with them i'm more positive I've even booked a Doctors appointment just to check that they have no objections and to pre warn him that the police will be in touch.
Pippin89
Home club or Range: Chichester Rifle and Pistol Club

#10 Post by Pippin89 »

andy1979 wrote:Thanks for the input guys.

I'm off to visit the first and my preferred of two ranges near me on Thursday night as that's probation night for them hopefully get signed up and start to serve my 12 week probation.

I've just got off the phone with Staffordshire and West Midlands police firearms dept spoke to a really helpful lady who's put my mind at ease.

The mild depressants shouldn't be an issue as it was 9 years ago and i'm not being currently treated.
Current medication won't be an issue either.

The domestic incident shouldn't cause many issues as it was dismissed by a court and no further actioned but the FEO will make the assessment during interview but she said by speaking with me she doesn't foresee an issue.

She's never known anyone be refused a certificate for the area they live in she did a quick search but there are no certificate holders in my area which don't surprise me to be honest.

I'm being as honest as I can with everything the domestic incident was me restraining my Mrs because she went to thump me one but because i used a prison restraint technique it was deemed excessive force, hence the charge but all is good now in fact we got married 3 weeks ago in Florida.

I already have CCTV on my house so hopefully that will go for me.

Ordered my cabinet last night so i'll get that installed while i'm at home over Christmas.

We'll see what happens but after speaking with them i'm more positive I've even booked a Doctors appointment just to check that they have no objections and to pre warn him that the police will be in touch.
Sounds like all should be good. Good idea to check with your doctor. Some will charge for the privilege of signing a form. Some will refuse altogether. At least if you know now you have a chance to change doctors and it wont hold up your application.