What to apply for

New to the sport? Or just not sussed something out yet? Please ask your questions in here, there are many experienced shooters on the forum and someone will for sure come along and answer your question. This is a section for new shooters so if anyone can think of something please submit it.

Moderator: dromia

andy1979
Home club or Range: Wednesbury Marksmen

What to apply for

#1 Post by andy1979 »

I'm putting some thought into what to apply for when my first FAC application goes in.

I'm thinking about

1 x .22lr AR15 type semi + Moderator
1 x .22lr Remington 597 type semi + Moderator
1 x .22lr Bolt action + Moderator
1 x .223 centre fire + Moderator
1 x .308 centre fire + Moderator

Moderators are for reduced recoil and some ranges I plan to shoot at it is compulsory for a moderator to be used.

All for target shooting although i'm hoping to find land to shoot on, all calibers my club is approved for but i will be trying to shoot at Kingsbury MOD range and pay for day tickets at Silverstone Shooting Centre.

Do you think i'd get away with both the .223 and the .308 on a grant i'm in West Midlands Police area if it makes any difference?

I've got a 6 gun cabinet and separate ammo safe at the moment but I've room to add another cabinet in the future.

These will be purchased over a year or two but i'm trying to cut the variations.
snayperskaya
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: West Bank of the Volga.....

Re: What to apply for

#2 Post by snayperskaya »

I don't see why you wouldn't get .223 and .308 but it may be worth putting in for .223/5.56 and 7.62/.308

I see that an hours shooting at Silverstone Shooting Centre on a weekend is £30 an hour, for that money you can get a full days shooting at Minsterley Ranges which is also closer to Wolverhampton than Silverstone.Thinking about it 7 hours shooting a Silverstone on a Saturday is roughly the same money as a full year of membership at Minsterley!.

http://www.minsterleyranges.com/about-us.html
"The only real power comes out of a long rifle." - Joseph Stalin

Give a man a gun and he can rob a bank.....give a man a bank and he can rob the world!.

More than a vested interest in 7.62x54r!
andy1979

#3 Post by andy1979 »

I'm open to any ranges that are local to Wolverhampton but i do go down Northampton way a bit which is why i picked there.

Thanks for the tip on the Calibers i'd of never of thought of applying with the calibers in that format opens up a wider range of rifles.

Thanks

Andy
BamBam

#4 Post by BamBam »

For an initial grant I would swap one of the .22 rifles for a pistol calibre, .357/.44mag/9mm.
andy1979

#5 Post by andy1979 »

What about ammo numbers i'm thinking

1000 rounds of .22 LR
500 rounds of .223/5.56
500 rounds of 7.62/.308

Don't know if they are considered reasonable levels for a grant?
snayperskaya
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: West Bank of the Volga.....

#6 Post by snayperskaya »

andy1979 wrote:What about ammo numbers i'm thinking

1000 rounds of .22 LR
500 rounds of .223/5.56
500 rounds of 7.62/.308

Don't know if they are considered reasonable levels for a grant?
They seem reasonable, you can allows up them later if need be.
"The only real power comes out of a long rifle." - Joseph Stalin

Give a man a gun and he can rob a bank.....give a man a bank and he can rob the world!.

More than a vested interest in 7.62x54r!
andy1979

#7 Post by andy1979 »

BamBam wrote:For an initial grant I would swap one of the .22 rifles for a pistol calibre, .357/.44mag/9mm.
I may have a go with the .44 mag cowboy action and decide as it's not a rifle I've considered yet to be honest.
BamBam

#8 Post by BamBam »

andy1979 wrote:
BamBam wrote:For an initial grant I would swap one of the .22 rifles for a pistol calibre, .357/.44mag/9mm.
I may have a go with the .44 mag cowboy action and decide as it's not a rifle I've considered yet to be honest.
Either that or a LBP/LBR slot. Unfortunately they're not try before you buy type firearms.
I'd also speak to people who got recent grants in your club and see if they got refused on anything.
Pinguino
Home club or Range: Bisley

#9 Post by Pinguino »

andy1979

You DON'T specify ACTION on an application, but the TYPE - so simply RIFLE, LBP, LBR, MUZZLE LOADING PISTOL, SOUND MODERATOR etc
FredB
Site Supporter Since 2019
Home club or Range: stourport

#10 Post by FredB »

I live in Wolverhampton and shoot at Stourport. We have a waiting list, but this is the time of year when people leave and vacancies may appear.
www.stourportonsevernpistolnrifleclub.co.uk
Fred