What to expect from "the visit"

New to the sport? Or just not sussed something out yet? Please ask your questions in here, there are many experienced shooters on the forum and someone will for sure come along and answer your question. This is a section for new shooters so if anyone can think of something please submit it.

Moderator: dromia

escargot
Home club or Range: Bolton Gun Club (clay section)

What to expect from "the visit"

#1 Post by escargot »

Hi all,

I'm expecting a call in the next month or so to book a visit with an FEO from Greater Manchester Police. I've applied for my first SGC and am about to buy and fit a safe in the next couple of weeks.

I realise that every FEO and police force is different, but what can I expect in terms of agenda/questions likely to be asked? I'd like to be as prepared as possible!

Any guidance sincerely appreciated.
Blackstuff
Site Supporter Since 2015

Re: What to expect from "the visit"

#2 Post by Blackstuff »

If its for a shotgun certificate rather than a firearms certificate it should be pretty minimal. Where you plan on shooting, whether you have any experience already, who else lives in the house etc.

They'll likely go through the basics of correct storage i.e. the gun(s) should be locked away when not in use/being cleaned etc. They will have a general inspection of your houses security and give your cabinet the obligatory pull test.

Just be open and honest with them, there's got to be something pretty major wrong for them not to grant a SGC.
DVC
Pippin89
Home club or Range: Chichester Rifle and Pistol Club

#3 Post by Pippin89 »

Blackstuff wrote: Just be open and honest with them.
This is all you need to remember really. SGC they are looking for a reason not to grant one (unlike an FAC where you have to give them a reason why you should have one) so don't give them a reason to not grant one. As long as your cabinet is installed correctly then you wont have a problem.
Polchraine

#4 Post by Polchraine »

You do NOT need to have a cabinet when you apply. For my first SGC, I did not own any guns for maybe 18months/2years and only installed a cabinet then.

Having te SGC allowed me to borrow a gun and shoot in various locations without issue.

If you are planning an immediate purchase, ask the FEO when they call if they want a cabinet in place for the visit. Some do, some do not.

"The trouble with quotes on the internet is that it's difficult to discern whether or not they are genuine."
- Abraham Lincoln

Why did kamikaze pilots wear helmets?

God loves stupid people, that is why he made so many of them.
MarkW
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: Mendip Shooting Club

#5 Post by MarkW »

Having just gone through this process in A&S, I was worried about the visit. But he came in, had a cup of tea and it was more of a friendly natter than questions. He obviously knew how to put people at ease and get the answers he wanted without it being an interogation.
escargot

#6 Post by escargot »

Thanks all
escargot

#7 Post by escargot »

Decided to order this: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/380897168616 - basic but functional! A lot of the reviews say the supplied fixings are a bit tosh so i'll pop down to screwfix and get some proper ones. Planning to fix it into an external wall (slight issue of skirting board in the way so i'll pack it out so I don't have to cut the skirting away. Hopefully that should suffice if I use extra long fixings to ensure it's anchored to stone rather than timber. I'll make sure I keep some of the fixings to show the FEO!

Very excited to go gun shopping now! Thinking either an ATA Arms SP Sporter or a second hand Beretta Silver Pigeon as my first gun.
johngarnett
Site Supporter Since 2015
Home club or Range: Cornwall RC @ Millpool; Duchy Shooting Assn @ Zelah

#8 Post by johngarnett »

Suggest buying the biggest safe you can get / fit!! They never take what they say. Once you start gun shopping you need bigger!!
Good luck
JohnG
escargot

#9 Post by escargot »

10 months later and the FEO is visiting me tomorrow! Cannot wait to get everything sorted - I've put a deposit down on a second hand silver pigeon at my local RFD and I'm so excited to collect it. Wish me luck for tomorrow!
RDC

#10 Post by RDC »

Don't reveal to them where you keep your cabinet keys. Only person who should know is you.

I say that as they may ask you where you keep them. Politely decline to reveal that info.