Somerset FAC applications

New to the sport? Or just not sussed something out yet? Please ask your questions in here, there are many experienced shooters on the forum and someone will for sure come along and answer your question. This is a section for new shooters so if anyone can think of something please submit it.

Moderator: dromia

FredB
Site Supporter Since 2019
Home club or Range: stourport

Re: Somerset FAC applications

#11 Post by FredB »

The league table shows West Midlands and Staffordshire as separate----they are combined for firearms related matters and so it is odd that they are showing different times.
Fred
Gh0st
Home club or Range: FDPC

#12 Post by Gh0st »

They have openly admitted they are / were short staffed last year, they have upped their staffing levels but the new staff will take time to train.
All views expressed are my own unless otherwise stated! So please take your time to consider my opinions as biased to what i think is best....

http://www.bulletsandpixels.co.uk www.fdpc.org.uk
andy1979
Home club or Range: Wednesbury Marksmen

#13 Post by andy1979 »

Currently have a young lady at my club who has been waiting 9 months wtf for her grant from West midlands police.
there was one other guy who submitted his application last week so we'll see how long his takes.

Mine is due to be submitted first week of April once my probation has been served.
TattooedGun
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: Dudley Rifle Club, WNSC, UKPSA, Bromsgrove

#14 Post by TattooedGun »

FredB wrote:The league table shows West Midlands and Staffordshire as separate----they are combined for firearms related matters and so it is odd that they are showing different times.
Fred
Although they are combined, they are still considered separate authorities with their own areas.

Presumably the statistics are based on the area that people fall under as to how long the wait, soi although they are the same department of the same firearms, Staffordshire seem to be getting dealt with quicker than West Mids applicants, by the Staffordshire police county... I don't find it strange, frustrating maybe, but somewhat understandable.
AltogetherElsewhere
Home club or Range: Severnside Range

#15 Post by AltogetherElsewhere »

I applied early last year, and it took around 5-6 months. Avon & Somerset were so short staffed that during that whole process, every single time I phoned them, I just got an automated message saying they were "very busy; if you're a GP phoning about concerns regarding an FAC/SGC holder, please call 999."

BASC did some poking for me and said that at one stage, they had literally 3 or 4 people in the entire office.
"May you live in interesting times,"
~ Traditional Chinese Curse
GordonBennett
Home club or Range: Frome & District Pistol Club

#16 Post by GordonBennett »

My FAC has arrived so Somerset are currently taking 5 1/2 months for initial grants. It arrived 3 weeks later than I expected due, no doubt, to lockdown. I was concerned it was going to take much longer.
38Super
Site Supporter Since 2019
Home club or Range: FDPC

#17 Post by 38Super »

GordonBennett wrote:My FAC has arrived so Somerset are currently taking 5 1/2 months for initial grants. It arrived 3 weeks later than I expected due, no doubt, to lockdown. I was concerned it was going to take much longer.
Congratulations shakeshout

All we need now is to be allowed back in to Anglo to play. fingerscrossed
And the shops to open to buy toys bangbang
Pippin89
Home club or Range: Chichester Rifle and Pistol Club

#18 Post by Pippin89 »

GordonBennett wrote:My FAC has arrived so Somerset are currently taking 5 1/2 months for initial grants. It arrived 3 weeks later than I expected due, no doubt, to lockdown. I was concerned it was going to take much longer.
Great news. I have to say I am surprised you got it at all at the moment. What gun is first on the shopping list?
Cornish-Viking
Home club or Range: Tamar Rangers, Cornwall Rifle Club, Duchy Shooting Association & Launceston Rifle and Pistol Club

#19 Post by Cornish-Viking »

Great news.

So the big question is..........What you buying first bangbang
- Tikka - 6.5 Creedmoor/MDT ACC
- Schmeisser LMR 223
- 1942 Lee Enfield No4 Mk1
- Bergara B14r Carbon
- CZ 457 Long Range Precision Gen2
- Kriss Defiance DMK
- GSG 1911
- Beretta 686E 12g

https://www.instagram.com/cornish_viking/
GordonBennett
Home club or Range: Frome & District Pistol Club

#20 Post by GordonBennett »

Pippin89 wrote:
Great news. I have to say I am surprised you got it at all at the moment. What gun is first on the shopping list?

I’ve taken delivery of a good old 10/22! A club member was waiting to transfer ownership when my ticket arrived. It’s got a few mods and a decent scope and I’ve already tried it pre-lockdown.
Can’t wait to have another go!