Jammed underlever

If you are making it or modifying it, repairing it or restoring it, it goes in here.

Moderator: dromia

Alpha1
Site Supporter Since 2020

Jammed underlever

#1 Post by Alpha1 »

I run a underlever shoot on a Tuesday evening at my local Club.
I have been given a Club underlever to use for probationers this season. A couple of new guys used it under Supervision. The last guy loaded 10 rounds fired the first one then could not open the lever. I tried unsuccessfully to open the lever. I removed the front cap and emptied the 9 remaining rounds out of the rifle. The lever still wont open . I intend to have a look at it to morrow any one got any idea what the issue might be. Not sure of the make until I have a closer look. Its not a Winchester thats as much as I know.
Ovenpaa
Site Supporter Since 2015

Re: Jammed underlever

#2 Post by Ovenpaa »

Round jammed under lifter/carrier and/or the lifter has sheared.
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal
Alpha1

#3 Post by Alpha1 »

No thats not it managed to force it open it ejected the spent case then imediatelly locked up again.
DanTheMan
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: Weybridge

#4 Post by DanTheMan »

If it's a Marlin, and a club gun, the screws under the action eventually come loose and it locks up, tighten everything back up and it will be ok.
Alpha1

#5 Post by Alpha1 »

Not sure if its a Marlin. I will dismantle it to morrow and take some pictures.
Most of the Club guns are old well used things it seems as though they are all in need of some sort of restoration. They have a lot of club guns if it was up to me I would sell the lot of them and invest in a few new guns that actually work.
Christel
Site Admin

#6 Post by Christel »

I am thinking nothing a good service would not sort. I have seen wrecks come back to life after a clean.
the running man

#7 Post by the running man »

The gr boys will be able to help you further on this,they mostly use marlins, so the following is based on that, but for my own experience, all screws should be checked,some bend the lifter ever so slightly to enable better loading, also ive had problems where the round was simply too long as the cases had not been trimmed and thus stuck straight away, a damned good clean will also help as well as a little filing of key parts and a spot of oil in the right place. Also check the star circlip thing on the lifter that comes off sometimes..
Always judge a person by how they treat someone that is of no use to them......
Alpha1

#8 Post by Alpha1 »

I have had a look its actually a ROSSI. It just needed a good clean and all the screws tightening. It seems OK now.
Alpha1

#9 Post by Alpha1 »

Im shocked at how loose the screws were and how dirty the gun was just because its a Club gun does not mean it should not be maintained. They also issued me with a .22 Im going to give that one a going over just in case.
bradaz11
Sporadic Site Supporter
Home club or Range: The tunnel at Charmouth, BWSS

#10 Post by bradaz11 »

just be careful stripping rossi's, theres a spring inside that hlds the loading gate i think, it's a bugger to get back in,
When guns are outlawed, only Outlaws will have guns