Storing Guns Elsewhere?

Anything shooting related including law and procedure questions.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
Should your post be in Grumpy Old Men? This area is for general shooting related posts only please.
Geek
Site Supporter Since 2020
Home club or Range: Diggle Range and Rossendale Fusiliers

Re: Storing Guns Elsewhere?

#11 Post by Geek »

Pete wrote:A Bratton laid on it's back, and carriage screwed into the floor (easy if it's a wooden floor). Slab of foam rubber and a chintzy cover and pretend it's an ottoman............(not a Turk, a blanket box)
Opening the lid will build a bit of bicep, too.............I did this when I started, and FEO was impressed. It was in the loft, though........

Pete
Good idea, I was going to recommend fixing to the floor (assuming floor boards), the flat owner may not want drilled fixings if a solid floor.
Regards,

Geek

AI AT (.308/6.5CM), Ruger PR (6.5CM), American Rimfire (.22LR), Remington 700 (.223), Marlin underlever .38/.357/.44, Savage 6BR, RimfireMagic .22LR, Fabarm Lion (s1), Fabarm Axis Baikal S/S
AltogetherElsewhere
Home club or Range: Severnside Range

#12 Post by AltogetherElsewhere »

Slight update: I had a very lovely call from my local FEO in response to my email. He told me I was overthinking it and worrying about nothing, and that I could store with an RFD, or mount a cabinet in a third-party's home (as long as I didn't keep the keys at that address). I asked if it would be an issue if the RFD in question was in another force's area (as my club is across the bridge in South Wales), and he said that he couldn't see any reason why that would be a problem. I'm still pondering my preferred solution to the problem, but no longer tearing my hair out over it quite so dramatically!
Mattnall wrote:It is doable, if it is at a non-RFD address then you should talk to your FEO and get them to advise but if it is at an RFD's then they could just add it to their register as a storage item.
Cheers for the input. I was considering asking my club secretary (an RFD) to store them, and in lieu of my parents miraculously changing lifelong attitudes towards guns, this may be the best option!
Pete wrote:A Bratton laid on it's back, and carriage screwed into the floor (easy if it's a wooden floor). Slab of foam rubber and a chintzy cover and pretend it's an ottoman............(not a Turk, a blanket box)
Opening the lid will build a bit of bicep, too.............I did this when I started, and FEO was impressed. It was in the loft, though........

Pete
Very interesting idea. I'll have to check if the room is totally carpeted, as my new landlady/housemate probably wouldn't appreciate me tearing-up the carpet! lol
"May you live in interesting times,"
~ Traditional Chinese Curse
Rockhopper

#13 Post by Rockhopper »

Storage at an RFD would typically cost around £2 per gun per week.
IainWR
Home club or Range: NRA Bisley

#14 Post by IainWR »

Rockhopper wrote:Storage at an RFD would typically cost around £2 per gun per week.
NRA at Bisley as an RFD charges, I believe, £3 -something / day, or £ 20 / something per month, or £ 70 / something per year to members, with unlimited in and out when the armoury is open ( range opening hours plus 30 minutes at each end).
Rockhopper

#15 Post by Rockhopper »

Gosh, a fair variance then!
AltogetherElsewhere
Home club or Range: Severnside Range

#16 Post by AltogetherElsewhere »

Apologies if I'm bumping an older thread when I'm not supposed to, but I have an update!

A very good friend of mine with a stud detector and a large tool set managed to get it fitted to a wall. Turns out there was only a mm or so of space between the plasterboard and the solid stone behind it. This discovery elicited mixed reactions because it made mounting the cabinet easier, but also broke one of his drill-bits. Whoops/Woohoo!

Anyway, sent off my change of address and security arrangements form to A&S, and now we wait. Fingers crossed I can pick up my guns from the RFD they're being stored at soon. Do police typically do an inspection on a new address, or wait until renewal time?
"May you live in interesting times,"
~ Traditional Chinese Curse
Polchraine

#17 Post by Polchraine »

They might of might not. Many variables:
How long have you had certificate
How many guns
What is the new address
Does FEO fancy an afternoon out
You and what they have seen before
Their policy
Random Check
Lucky dip or system says so

"The trouble with quotes on the internet is that it's difficult to discern whether or not they are genuine."
- Abraham Lincoln

Why did kamikaze pilots wear helmets?

God loves stupid people, that is why he made so many of them.