Range Rods-Indicator rods.

If you are making it or modifying it, repairing it or restoring it, it goes in here.

Moderator: dromia

Alpha1
Site Supporter Since 2020

Range Rods-Indicator rods.

#1 Post by Alpha1 »

I can not believe how difficult it is to buy a Range rod or an Indicator rod in the UK. What do they think I am going to do with them for Gods sake beat people to death with them run riot stab peoples eyes out with them. The USA wont send them to the UK. They are a piece of stainless rod with a bushing on one end for Gods sake.
I really do despair.
The Gun Pimp

Re: Range Rods-Indicator rods.

#2 Post by The Gun Pimp »

Don't despair - just buy a good quality DTI with a long finger............
Pippin89
Home club or Range: Chichester Rifle and Pistol Club

#3 Post by Pippin89 »

The Gun Pimp wrote:Don't despair - just buy a good quality DTI with a long finger............
This! But just remember if you are using it to clock a bore, and so have it set at an angle, then the measurement isn't accurate. Not a huge problem for clocking as you are just looking for zero!
strangesam
Home club or Range: Invicta Bristol, Frome and District PC

#4 Post by strangesam »

snayperskaya
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: West Bank of the Volga.....

#5 Post by snayperskaya »

Might be a daft question but if they are "a piece of stainless rod with a bushing on one end" and you have a lathe etc can't you just make your own???.
"The only real power comes out of a long rifle." - Joseph Stalin

Give a man a gun and he can rob a bank.....give a man a bank and he can rob the world!.

More than a vested interest in 7.62x54r!
Alpha1

#6 Post by Alpha1 »

I intend to have a go problem is the rods need to be a very accurate diameter and snug fit in the bore so you can indicate off it to make sure everything is running central.
Just need to find some spare time to remove the barrel from the action have a go.
Ovenpaa
Site Supporter Since 2015

#7 Post by Ovenpaa »

Turning the required long taper on a lathe is problematical and such things are best produced and more accurate when ground. The taper allows for variance on say a 30 cal bore and the removable bushing at .300" or +/- 0.0005" ensures the system is accurately centred. I oil mine as well when in use.
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal
Alpha1

#8 Post by Alpha1 »

Ovenpaa wrote:Turning the required long taper on a lathe is problematical and such things are best produced and more accurate when ground. The taper allows for variance on say a 30 cal bore and the removable bushing at .300" or +/- 0.0005" ensures the system is accurately centred. I oil mine as well when in use.
Yes and that is why it is probably not a good ides for me to try and do this with my current set up.
Alpha1

#9 Post by Alpha1 »

I have a cunning plan. :squirrel:
Alpha1

#10 Post by Alpha1 »

I had photos but my new phone is pap the computer does not recognize it when plugged into the USB socket. Cheap phones not worth the money.

Any way I have acquired a number of pilots the ones that are fitted to chamber reamers in several bore sizes. My question is the ones I have are held on by a very small c-clip how do you remove the c-clip. If you remove the c-clip does that ruin it. I have a piloted 60% muzzle chamfer tool and a slack hand full of pilots in different dimensions. I was thinking of using one to see if I could make a range rod as an experiment. Can you purchase the c-clips if you damage one.

The 60% was a mistake by the way its no good at all for what I had in mind but you live and learn.