Fishing during the crisis

All things Hunting, Fishing, Wildlife and Conservation related.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
"The Dromia Rule"

Deer Stalking… reliable word of mouth recommendation from someone you know has undertaken such stalking being offered by a specific syndicate is best. Like other walks of life, stalking has its scammers. E.G., make sure there is deer, of the species sought, on the land being made available; that appropriate insurance is in place; that there is recourse for recompense if it all goes wrong. In addition, obtain and understand terms and conditions; consider the implications of allowing a syndicate leader to be a FAC mentor; make sure ‘coaches’ are suitably qualified; consider the quality of deer management, the construction & execution of a shooting plan and safety; determine if the land is over-shot.

If in doubt, contact BASC or similar.

http://www.basc.org.uk/

Anyone considered to be a scammer will be banned without warning.
Lampuki

Fishing during the crisis

#1 Post by Lampuki »

I noticed three people out fishing my local river this weekend (spinning without landing nets) Not only breaking the Covid 19 rules but the rivers are out of season too.
A swift call to the EA to report it however there were even more the following day so I suppose resources are tight and no action was taken?
It boils my boilable stuff!
Ovenpaa
Site Supporter Since 2015

Re: Fishing during the crisis

#2 Post by Ovenpaa »

We have the lads out lamping with dogs around here. We saw four of them crammed into a small 4x4 fly past the other day, up to no good. The Police and local land owers are very aware with the former trying to catch them and the latter blocking every single gap in hedge lines they can find.
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal
DaveB
Home club or Range: Wellington Service Rifle Assocaition; NZ Deerstalkers Association; Wairarapa Pistol & Shooting Sports Club

#3 Post by DaveB »

Here in NZ the government has officially declared hunting and fishing or indeed any activity where you may possibly need rescue to be verboten. At first Police tried to declare all shooting banned, but the farmers pointed out that they were still entitled to do pest control on their own land, so Police had to back down.
dromia
Site Admin
Home club or Range: The Highlands of Scotland. Cycling Proficiency 1964. Felton & District rifle club. Teesdale Pistol and Rifle club.

#4 Post by dromia »

Ripping is a pretty inefficient way of poaching, even in tidal waters with fish waiting to run. Couple of inches of gelignite, a bag of cymag or even a net are far better ways of killing fish. :twisted:

Come on Bambi get some

Imperial Good Metric Bad
Analogue Good Digital Bad

Fecking stones

Real farmers don't need subsidies

Cow's farts matter!

For fine firearms and requisites visit

http://www.pukkabundhooks.com/
snayperskaya
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: West Bank of the Volga.....

#5 Post by snayperskaya »

Lampuki wrote:I noticed three people out fishing my local river this weekend (spinning without landing nets) Not only breaking the Covid 19 rules but the rivers are out of season too.
A swift call to the EA to report it however there were even more the following day so I suppose resources are tight and no action was taken?
It boils my boilable stuff!
Not sure where you are and which river it is on but it is salmon fishing season so it could be folks spinning for salmon, although as you said it wouldn't be advisable due to the lockdown restrictions.........far more likely to be Eastern Europeans spinning for pike for the pot, it's quite a problem round my way with Poles fishing without a licence on a lot of pools with carp in them and knocking everything they catch on the head and taking them home!.Some fisheries spent hundreds of thousands of pounds stocking with decent carp etc and anglers quite often pay a couple of hundred quid a year on season tickets and these sods nick them for the pot!
"The only real power comes out of a long rifle." - Joseph Stalin

Give a man a gun and he can rob a bank.....give a man a bank and he can rob the world!.

More than a vested interest in 7.62x54r!
Laurie

#6 Post by Laurie »

snayperskaya wrote:Not sure where you are and which river it is on but it is salmon fishing season so it could be folks spinning for salmon, although as you said it wouldn't be advisable due to the lockdown restrictions.........far more likely to be Eastern Europeans spinning for pike for the pot,....
Where I grew up (Perth), the 'spring run' was tailing off around now. The salmon and sea trout season started on Jan 15th on the Tay, and Feb 1st on the Earn, and hundreds would be out spinning on the first Saturday after the 15th on the waters around Perth.

As a schoolboy, a great frustration was being restricted to Saturdays until the Easter holidays. (Sunday fishing was a no-no on these rivers back then, 'work of the devil' and all that.) Inevitably weather and river conditions lost some of those fishing days too. Then come the Easter hols and two weeks on the river, heaven! ...... except that most years the 'run' had finished about a week before and there was only the occasional small sea trout (known locally as 'whitling') left to be caught.
snayperskaya
Past Supporter

#7 Post by snayperskaya »

Laurie wrote:
Where I grew up (Perth), the 'spring run' was tailing off around now. The salmon and sea trout season started on Jan 15th on the Tay, and Feb 1st on the Earn, and hundreds would be out spinning on the first Saturday after the 15th on the waters around Perth.

As a schoolboy, a great frustration was being restricted to Saturdays until the Easter holidays. (Sunday fishing was a no-no on these rivers back then, 'work of the devil' and all that.) Inevitably weather and river conditions lost some of those fishing days too. Then come the Easter hols and two weeks on the river, heaven! ...... except that most years the 'run' had finished about a week before and there was only the occasional small sea trout (known locally as 'whitling') left to be caught.
I grew up very close to the Severn in Shrewsbury and never actually fished for salmon but I used to do a lot of lure fishing for pike during the summer months, when they are more active and up for chasing a lure.Then it would be dead-baiting in the late autumn and winter months.For me there isn't much that beats the feeling of anticipation when your bung disappears under the water with the characteristic wiggle that signifies a take or a large dark torpedo-like shape appears from deeper water behind your lure........

Give a man a gun and he can rob a bank.....give a man a bank and he can rob the world!.

meles meles
Site Supporter Since 2020
Home club or Range: HBSA

#8 Post by meles meles »

snayperskaya wrote: ... a large dark torpedo-like shape appears from deeper water ........
Captain Héctor Bonzo described his feelings of that a little differently....
Badger
CEO (Chief Excavatin' Officer)
Badger Korporashun

Quidquid latine dictum sit altum viditur.
"Quelle style, so British"
snayperskaya
Past Supporter

#9 Post by snayperskaya »

meles meles wrote:
snayperskaya wrote: ... a large dark torpedo-like shape appears from deeper water ........
Captain Héctor Bonzo described his feelings of that a little differently....
Steering a course for tangent island yet again........

meles meles
Site Supporter Since 2020
Home club or Range: HBSA

#10 Post by meles meles »

Full speed ahead in the subversion of oomanity !
Badger
CEO (Chief Excavatin' Officer)
Badger Korporashun

Quidquid latine dictum sit altum viditur.
"Quelle style, so British"