NRA - Option to shoot Chobham Ridge range

A section for news and announcements only.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
Please bear in mind that this is an open forum and your posts can be read by all members. If you are in a position that can be compromised by what you are saying on here because someone takes offense and tells your colleagues or your sponsor and that in turn means you are being punished for your posts on here, think before you post!
RDC

NRA - Option to shoot Chobham Ridge range

#1 Post by RDC »

CHOBHAM RIDGE

An attractive rural range that looks across the danger area towards the main Bisley site. On a clear day, to the South of the range you can see Guildford Cathedral; complemented in the east by incredible views of London and the Wembley Arch.

The range consists of multiple steel plates from unknown distances between 200 – 900x. Shooting period will be from approx. 1000 – 1400 depending oi stoppages.

Current offer is £500 for maximum of 5 people, inclusive of NSC RCO.

There is a range building with a troop shelter providing a dry haven during inclement weather and impressive down range views. Ablutions consist of a portaloo and there is a car park conveniently situated near the firing point.

Please see the Chobham ridge page on the website for more information.
https://nra.org.uk/nra-bisley/ranges/chobham-ridge/
RDC

Re: NRA - Option to shoot Chobham Ridge range

#2 Post by RDC »

About
Targets:

2 firing points, however due to restrictions only one is in use during Covid 19 restrictions
12 steel targets of varying size.
Shooters

Currently maximum of 5 shooters permitted per party.
Price is inclusive of an experienced NSC RCO.
An attractive rural range that looks across the danger area towards the main Bisley site. On a clear day, to the South of the range you can see Guildford Cathedral; complemented in the east by incredible views of London and the Wembley Arch.

Facilities

The facilities at the range are basic.

There is a range building with a troop shelter providing a dry haven during inclement weather and impressive down range views. Ablutions consist of a portaloo and there is a car park conveniently situated near the firing point.

Routine

0900 – Sign in at Bisley Pavilion

0910 – Initial safety brief

0930 – Travel to Chobham Ridge Range

1000 – RO on range safety brief

Firing commences

1230 – Stoppage for Stickledown Marker access/egress

1315 – Stoppage for Stickledown Marker access/egress

1400 Ceasefire

You will be required to travel to the range in your own vehicle, directions will be provided on the day.

Your first shot must prove zero on a shotmarker target at approx. 200x away. Once zero has been proven you will be permitted to progress on to the steel plates under the direction of the NSC instructor, gradually increasing the distance to a maximum of 900x.

Range Notices and Regulations

It is an individual responsibility to be aware of, and comply with, range regulations and instructions issued on the day.

Permitted firearms and Ammunition
Max .308

HME firearms are not permitted on this range
RDC

#3 Post by RDC »

I noticed several members here have already commented on the Facebook page!
Alpha1
Site Supporter Since 2020

#4 Post by Alpha1 »

This sounds exactly like a MOD range we used for several years up until early this year when we were told that we would not be allowed to use it anymore because it did not fit in with NRA target shooting. The MOD booking office canceled all my range bookings as a result. The range we used has electronic targets from 50 yards out to 450 yards that fall when hit then pop back up automatically.
One law for them and another for us.
mag41uk
Home club or Range: Aldershot R & P Club

#5 Post by mag41uk »

Alpha1 wrote:This sounds exactly like a MOD range we used for several years up until early this year when we were told that we would not be allowed to use it anymore because it did not fit in with NRA target shooting. The MOD booking office canceled all my range bookings as a result. The range we used has electronic targets from 50 yards out to 450 yards that fall when hit then pop back up automatically.
One law for them and another for us.
Which range was this?
Alpha1

#6 Post by Alpha1 »

It is a MOD range part of the Catterick Feldom complex. We used it once a month for at least the past three years. Then out of the blue the MOD booking office sent me an email cancelling all my bookings and told me that we could not book it any more because it did not comply with the NRA target shooting. In other words because we were not shooting at bulls eye targets and just knocking down metal figure elevens or huns heads we are not allowed to use it any more. Not just us any Civilian Club can no longer book it.
Alpha1

#7 Post by Alpha1 »

I forgot we also put some screens out at 100 and 200 yards with targets on them for zeroing. With the help of the range wardens.
Bovril
Site Supporter 2021
Home club or Range: Phoenix range, Barnsley

#8 Post by Bovril »

Am I reading that right, that it is £500 for 5 people to share 1 firing point for 4 hours shooting?
Pete
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: NRA Bisley

#9 Post by Pete »

That's how it looks to me............a bit above my pay scale, I'm afraid, but no doubt there will be plenty who are happy to spend that kind of wedge to plink............

Pete
"Tantum religio potuit suadere malorum" Lucretius
You're offended? Please explain why your inability to control your emotions translates into me having to censor my opinions....
Triffid
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: Wey Valley

#10 Post by Triffid »

Pete wrote:That's how it looks to me............a bit above my pay scale, I'm afraid, but no doubt there will be plenty who are happy to spend that kind of wedge to plink............

Pete
Yes, I was really looking forward to this, until I saw the price! Hopefully they won't get too many takers and will have to reconsider.

Triffid