Sound Meter

Anything shooting related including law and procedure questions.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
Should your post be in Grumpy Old Men? This area is for general shooting related posts only please.
DL.

Sound Meter

#1 Post by DL. »

It's been a while since I tinkered with the technical aspects of anything shooting wise, and I am tempted to spend £10 on one of these sound meters from Lidl:

https://www.lidl.co.uk/en/p/diy/parksid ... ter/p33713

I would be interested under real world condtions, probably starting with the .22Lr to see the difference between high velocity, muzzle brake and different types of moderator.

I have been a bit cynical when people talk about their .22's being so quiet with subsonics "you can hear the firing pin" or indeed this lovely anschutz which is "silent" :o

https://www.guntrader.uk/guns/rifles/an ... 1202703010

Has anyone on here had any findings with sound meters in the past?
kennyc
Home club or Range: hunters NRPC

Re: Sound Meter

#2 Post by kennyc »

do you have a smartphone? download an app and try it out
DL.

#3 Post by DL. »

I do have a smartphone, but I also have a weakness for buying budget tools that I will rarely use from Aldi and Lidl! lol
Pete
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: NRA Bisley

#4 Post by Pete »

Aldi .jpg
Me too..........only this one's been used frequently for the past couple of years..........cost £11........

Pete
"Tantum religio potuit suadere malorum" Lucretius
You're offended? Please explain why your inability to control your emotions translates into me having to censor my opinions....
Lancs Lad
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: Diggle / Altcar and anywhere else that will have me.

#5 Post by Lancs Lad »

I wouldn't be expecting a lot of accuracy for that kind of money but it would be better than a smartphone app. For a tenner, it's probably worth a punt.
If accuracy IS important to you then calibrated sound level meters can be hired on a daily basis and this is a route you could go down.
Like yourself, I find that the words 'quiet' and 'silent' when used to describe firearm related noise can be very subjective :squirrel:

:flag13: LL
Peter Leigh
Home club or Range: chepstow Rifle Club

#6 Post by Peter Leigh »

I have seen (maybe heard) one of these in action....umm,,, I found using my own ears more accurate because of the possible background sounds present that need to be filtered out, but it does work . Its similar to a toy plastic gun that fires plastic bullets that i would give to my 5yr old son and he would be well chuffed with it. comparing that to a real gun... I guess it's the old motto 'you get what you pay for'!!
Rockhopper

#7 Post by Rockhopper »

Its important to be consistent with how you measure sound - distance from the source, angle, height above the ground etc etc all need to be the same from test to test.
Ovenpaa
Site Supporter Since 2015

#8 Post by Ovenpaa »

I do like the Lidl fun stuff like the sound meter. As an aside, my father gave me a couple of Lidl digital verniers maybe 10 years ago. (They were a fiver each) They felt a bit rougher in operation than my Mitutoyo versions, however when it came to accuracy they gave exactly the same measurements when tested using a range of slips. Christel uses one to this day for measuring envelopes for posting and the other is probably in a drawer somewhere. The only downside I could see is they turn off after a set time. Otherwise they are spot on.

Would I use one myself? No, however I seldom use a vernier anyway.
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal
Sim G
Past Supporter

#9 Post by Sim G »

DL. wrote:I do have a smartphone, but I also have a weakness for buying budget tools that I will rarely use from Aldi and Lidl! lol
lol lol lol

Don’t we all, brother, don’t we all...!!!
In 1978 I was told by my grand dad that the secret to rifle accuracy is, a quality bullet, fired down a quality barrel..... How has that changed?

Guns dont kill people. Dads with pretty Daughters do...!
Plumose
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: D&DR&RC

#10 Post by Plumose »

Are these sounds meters any good for measuring a gunshot, I would have thought the impulse would be shorter than they would cope with?
Deddington and District Rifle and Revolver Club (D&DR&RC) http://www.ddrrc.net