Internal and external metric threading inserts.

If you are making it or modifying it, repairing it or restoring it, it goes in here.

Moderator: dromia

Alpha1
Site Supporter Since 2020

Internal and external metric threading inserts.

#1 Post by Alpha1 »

I did not realize you can buy internal/external carbide metric inserts by tpi or whatever they are measured by. I have just purchased some internal ones to cut a 27x1 internal metric thread.
You learn something new every day. You can buy the inserts for any thread for example Whitworth or unf etc. Cool or what.
Mattnall
Site Supporter Since 2016
Home club or Range: Harlow TAC, NRA, BSRC

Re: Internal and external metric threading inserts.

#2 Post by Mattnall »

Do you mean helicoils and similar? They are great if you have to repair a thread especially in aluminium.

Helicoils
Arming the Country, one gun at a time.

Good deals with Paul101, Charlotte the flyer, majordisorder, Charlie Muggins, among others. Thanks everybody.
Alpha1

#3 Post by Alpha1 »

Mattnall wrote:Do you mean helicoils and similar? They are great if you have to repair a thread especially in aluminium.

Helicoils
No I mean carbide inserts for cutting internal threads on the lathe.
Like in the attached picture they fit onto a tool holder.
cutwel-er-iso-ag3000-1.jpg
Mattnall
Site Supporter Since 2016
Home club or Range: Harlow TAC, NRA, BSRC

#4 Post by Mattnall »

Ah, sorry.
Also great. :good:
Arming the Country, one gun at a time.

Good deals with Paul101, Charlotte the flyer, majordisorder, Charlie Muggins, among others. Thanks everybody.
Alpha1

#5 Post by Alpha1 »

teanews :good:
The Gun Pimp

#6 Post by The Gun Pimp »

Alpha1 wrote:I did not realize you can buy internal/external carbide metric inserts by tpi or whatever they are measured by. I have just purchased some internal ones to cut a 27x1 internal metric thread.
You learn something new every day. You can buy the inserts for any thread for example Whitworth or unf etc. Cool or what.
There are always plenty for sale on Ebay - half boxes etc for a fraction of new price.
Ovenpaa
Site Supporter Since 2015

#7 Post by Ovenpaa »

Also, check out Posithread UK for the finer and more obscure inserts. I had to machine 48TPI for a revolver earlier this year and have gone as fine as 60TPI for an elevation shaft on a sight.

Internal threading is interesting, if I have to machine to/from a shoulder such as on larger thread protectors for barrel tenons I machine out instead of in, less chance of smashing things. You can screw cut both in forward and reverse and from both sides of the work piece.

TIP - Inserts are cheap, barrels are not. I only ever use a corner for a single barrel, so do the job, mark the corner you have used with a black marker pen and rotate it to the next position. The only exception for me is production runs of the M8x0.75mm thread on stainless for our OAL gauges where I end to do runs of 40 threads per corner.
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal
Alpha1

#8 Post by Alpha1 »

Hmm interesting.
I never thought to screw cut in reverse. I take your point on using one corner per cut thread.