Old Manlicher rifle

Pre 1945 action rifles. Muzzle loading.

Moderator: dromia

snayperskaya
Home club or Range: West Bank of the Volga.....

Re: Old Manlicher rifle

#11 Post by snayperskaya »

Maybe a trials rifle for the Mannlicher M1890 carbine?.

It may be worth signing up and putting a post on here, some very knowledgeable Mannlicher folks on there and if it isn't a Mannlicher there's a good chance someone will identify it........

https://www.gunboards.com/forums/mannli ... rifles.14/
"The only real power comes out of a long rifle." - Joseph Stalin

Give a man a gun and he can rob a bank.....give a man a bank and he can rob the world!.

More than a vested interest in 7.62x54r!
Sandgroper
Full-Bore UK Supporter

#12 Post by Sandgroper »

snayperskaya wrote:Maybe a trials rifle for the Mannlicher M1890 carbine?.

It may be worth signing up and putting a post on here, some very knowledgeable Mannlicher folks on there and if it isn't a Mannlicher there's a good chance someone will identify it........

Did you mean trials rifle for the M1895 carbine? The rifle in question from what I can see, has elements of the M1890 and M1895 rifles but you're right, signing up to gunboards looks like a good option.
“The standard you walk past is the standard you accept.”

Lieutenant General David Morrison

I plink, therefore I shoot.
snayperskaya
Home club or Range: West Bank of the Volga.....

#13 Post by snayperskaya »

Sandgroper wrote:
snayperskaya wrote:Maybe a trials rifle for the Mannlicher M1890 carbine?.

Did you mean trials rifle for the M1895 carbine? The rifle in question from what I can see, has elements of the M1890 and M1895 rifles but you're right, signing up to gunboards looks like a good option.
It was the M1890 Cavalry carbine I was thinking of.If it was a trials/prototype rifle it could be it was never meant to have left the factory but has somehow.

There are some very rare Mosin trials/experimental rifles that have surfaced over the years which variations not seen on production rifles and I would imagine many other manufacturers had similar trials rifles knocking about that somehow made it out of the factory.

Another thought......could it be a "Khyber Pass" knock off of a M1890 carbine, as there appears to have been an Afghan Contract for them so examples would have been in-country

https://thinlineweapons.com/Hungariae/Mann90Af.htm
"The only real power comes out of a long rifle." - Joseph Stalin

Give a man a gun and he can rob a bank.....give a man a bank and he can rob the world!.

More than a vested interest in 7.62x54r!
dekip

#14 Post by dekip »

Ok guys, here you are. These are the closest pictures as I could make, but to remain as clean as possible.

I am from Belgrade, Serbia. We had so many wars in past 200 years. My family (myself too) shared any struggle with my country, and here s*** happens every ten years. Not many generations lived their lives without wars, neither me. Grandfather was KIA in WWII against the Germans, grand-grandfather the same in WWI on Thessaloniki front. In my case, bullets missed me somehow, but there were opportunities. This rifle is in family, not sure how much. Before WWII for sure. It was just there in the house. It just clicked in me to take a closer look at it a few days ago. A repainted wood, cleaned rust a little bit. And there it is.

Sandgroper
Full-Bore UK Supporter

#15 Post by Sandgroper »

Thanks for the extra pictures, much appreciated. thankssign

I think from what the information you've provided that you have an M1890 (M90) carbine that was handed over as war booty after WWI. During is life time it has been fitted with,
1) A new stock (originals had a groove in front of the magazine/under the rear sight),
2) Rear sights from a M95 - looks like Carbine sights,
3) Butt plate from a M95 (M90's had an opening for the cleaning kit).

The receiver being ground down to it's current shape has removed any identifying markings and I did wonder if it had been rechambered in a different calibre with the receiver shape being used as identification. However, the barrel still has what looks like an Austrian Eagle proof mark makes me suspect that it is still in the original 8x50R chambering, this, and the lack of charger guides on the receiver would appear to confirm this but it would be a guess, if I'm honest.

I did a search on gunboards and only found this thread https://www.gunboards.com/threads/m95-q ... st-9626445. While interesting, it doesn't really help to explain your rifle but shows you have quite a mystery on your hands...good luck!
“The standard you walk past is the standard you accept.”

Lieutenant General David Morrison

I plink, therefore I shoot.