Dial Gauges

If you are making it or modifying it, repairing it or restoring it, it goes in here.

Moderator: dromia

Alpha1
Site Supporter Since 2020

Dial Gauges

#1 Post by Alpha1 »

Some of the articles I have read refer to dial gauges that reach into the bore with long needles I'm not sure if that's the right description. What do you use and where should I go to buy them.
Pippin89
Home club or Range: Chichester Rifle and Pistol Club

Re: Dial Gauges

#2 Post by Pippin89 »

I think what you need is an inclined dial gauge. They normally sit at about 12° from memory. If you want accurate readings it is important that they are set at the correct angle. I normally get tooling like that from Cromwell.
Andy

#3 Post by Andy »

Finger clock.
Alpha1

#4 Post by Alpha1 »

Andy wrote:Finger clock.
Sorry but that doesn't help.
Andy

#5 Post by Andy »

The Gun Pimp

#6 Post by The Gun Pimp »

Not easy to find one with a longish finger - to probe beyond the first inch of barrel. Also - if you like to work in thous - get an imperial one.
Alpha1

#7 Post by Alpha1 »

Ok, I get it now. I already have one of those but the pointer is 15 centimeters at the most. And obviously it's a metric gauge.
Alpha1

#8 Post by Alpha1 »

Alpha1 wrote:Ok, I get it now. I already have one of those but the pointer is 15 centimeters at the most. And obviously it's a metric gauge.
Millimeters, not centimeters. As you have probably gathered the metric system is still a mystery to me having been brought up on feet and inches.
Pippin89
Home club or Range: Chichester Rifle and Pistol Club

#9 Post by Pippin89 »

Alpha1 wrote:
Alpha1 wrote:Ok, I get it now. I already have one of those but the pointer is 15 centimeters at the most. And obviously it's a metric gauge.
Millimeters, not centimeters. As you have probably gathered the metric system is still a mystery to me having been brought up on feet and inches.
Metric system is the easiest think in the world! Everything works in multiples of 10! And not just that, but all the units which get used together are designed to work together. E.G. 1 millilitre of water is 1 gram, 1 joule per 1 second is 1 watt, 1 Newton per 1 metre squared is 1 Pascal.

Compared to Imperial... 1 pint of water is 16 ounces, 1 ftlb energy per 1 seconds is 0.001818 Horsepower, 1 lbf per 1 foot squared is 0.00694 psi.
Ovenpaa
Site Supporter Since 2015

#10 Post by Ovenpaa »

The UK started to adopt the metric system in 1965 and decimalisation was 1971. I was born in 1957 so I can happily use both although my preference is metric. Oddly I still do a bit of a mental shuffle when I get into the fine tolerance stuff and will set the limits at +/- 0,01mm and then consider what that is in imperial, think yes, that will work and carry on.

Many many people a lot younger than myself will send me drawings in imperial and think I am OK with them, yet I always end up converting them to metric.

Just use whatever works for you. Denmark used to use Ells for ranging distances many years, maybe that is worth looking into further.
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal