Facemasks

Moderator: dromia

shugie
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: Sperry at Bisley

Re: Facemasks

#11 Post by shugie »

Blackstuff wrote:With the amount of exemptions in place, and the lack of requirement for people to prove such exemptions, it makes the whole thing pointless. Its got to the stage now where I think this will only properly calm down (it will NEVER end, just like the cold and flu never ends), until there's a level of herd immunity. Sadly that means a lot more people are going to die first.
There's never been any herd immunity to colds and flu, so that plan isn't going to work. Although there is growing evidence of second infections, no one seems to know whether getting it a second time is more or less risky.
Careful now/that sort of thing
Blackstuff
Site Supporter Since 2015

#12 Post by Blackstuff »

shugie wrote:
Blackstuff wrote:With the amount of exemptions in place, and the lack of requirement for people to prove such exemptions, it makes the whole thing pointless. Its got to the stage now where I think this will only properly calm down (it will NEVER end, just like the cold and flu never ends), until there's a level of herd immunity. Sadly that means a lot more people are going to die first.
There's never been any herd immunity to colds and flu, so that plan isn't going to work. Although there is growing evidence of second infections, no one seems to know whether getting it a second time is more or less risky.
There are over 200 variations of the common cold and 16 types and 140+ versions of flu which is why there is no apparent immunity to it, but it does exist, its ability to mutate keeps it going. That said the CV-19 virus has already mutated so.....

I work with someone (not physically at the moment thankfully) who has tested positive for CV-19 twice and the second time it was barely a bad cold (the first time floored her though)
DVC
bobcat
Home club or Range: Private Land

#13 Post by bobcat »

Well fingers crossed the vaccine will work and come quickly and we can return to normal. Had enough of this now particularly the government try blame everyone accept themselves.
Ed_Thurley

#14 Post by Ed_Thurley »

Hear Hear! I just want to shoot properly again, see more than a dozen people on a range designed for a hundred plus.

Sent from my KOB-L09 using "An application"
Pippin89
Home club or Range: Chichester Rifle and Pistol Club

#15 Post by Pippin89 »

Supermarkets and other shops are within their rights to refuse entry without a mask. But most have told their staff not to approach people without them. I was in a supermarket at the weekend and listened to an old man complaining to a young female checkout worker that he couldn't see her smile with her mask on. She politely explained that if he was wearing a mask and wasn't leaning under the Perspex shield, then maybe she wouldn't need to wear one. I had to congratulate her on her polite but brutal response to the old perv.
Flu and cold mutate quicker than we build immunity which is why it never goes away. Covid APPEARS to be mutating slower which gives us a chance to kill it off. Its just a case of reducing the rate of infection low enough that it can't mutate quickly enough to spread to those already immune. Reducing the rate of infection is the intent behind people wearing masks.
billy_boy_2010

#16 Post by billy_boy_2010 »

Pippin89 wrote:Supermarkets and other shops are within their rights to refuse entry without a mask. But most have told their staff not to approach people without them. I was in a supermarket at the weekend and listened to an old man complaining to a young female checkout worker that he couldn't see her smile with her mask on. She politely explained that if he was wearing a mask and wasn't leaning under the Perspex shield, then maybe she wouldn't need to wear one. I had to congratulate her on her polite but brutal response to the old perv.
Flu and cold mutate quicker than we build immunity which is why it never goes away. Covid APPEARS to be mutating slower which gives us a chance to kill it off. Its just a case of reducing the rate of infection low enough that it can't mutate quickly enough to spread to those already immune. Reducing the rate of infection is the intent behind people wearing masks.
Is it mutating slower because it's not really being combatted yet?

Bacteria had no need for antibiotic resistance before antibiotics came along.....
Pippin89
Home club or Range: Chichester Rifle and Pistol Club

#17 Post by Pippin89 »

billy_boy_2010 wrote:
Pippin89 wrote:Supermarkets and other shops are within their rights to refuse entry without a mask. But most have told their staff not to approach people without them. I was in a supermarket at the weekend and listened to an old man complaining to a young female checkout worker that he couldn't see her smile with her mask on. She politely explained that if he was wearing a mask and wasn't leaning under the Perspex shield, then maybe she wouldn't need to wear one. I had to congratulate her on her polite but brutal response to the old perv.
Is it mutating slower because it's not really being combatted yet?

Bacteria had no need for antibiotic resistance before antibiotics came along.....
That isn't really how mutations work. Mutations will happen all the time no matter what. Strong ones will take hold and multiply. Weak ones will die out. In much the same way as evolution in all other species.
strangesam
Home club or Range: Invicta Bristol, Frome and District PC

#18 Post by strangesam »

The lack of social responsibility gets me, the mask (assuming it is not a properly fitted FFP2/FFP3) is to protect others not the wearer. The number of people not wearing them, or wearing ones which are so loose/knitted/under the nose as to be pointless is really jarring.
GeeRam
Home club or Range: PSC, Bisley

#19 Post by GeeRam »

strangesam wrote:The lack of social responsibility gets me, the mask (assuming it is not a properly fitted FFP2/FFP3) is to protect others not the wearer. The number of people not wearing them, or wearing ones which are so loose/knitted/under the nose as to be pointless is really jarring.
I agree.........classic case of Couldntgiveafuckitis with far too many people in the UK, which is why we're largely in the mess we are in, on top of p*** poor Govt leadership.
dromia
Site Admin
Home club or Range: The Highlands of Scotland. Cycling Proficiency 1964. Felton & District rifle club. Teesdale Pistol and Rifle club.

#20 Post by dromia »

Its the same pish poor people that voted the pish poor government in.

The beauty of democracy, you get the government you deserve.

Come on Bambi get some

Imperial Good Metric Bad
Analogue Good Digital Bad

Fecking stones

Real farmers don't need subsidies

Cow's farts matter!

For fine firearms and requisites visit

http://www.pukkabundhooks.com/