Miners lamp

Anything non shooting related wanted.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
All groups are welcome to post unless your user name is in Newly Registered Red, your post will be removed.
No disparaging remarks, if you don't like what you see then don't buy it.
redcat
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: Teesdale P&R Club.

Miners lamp

#1 Post by redcat »

Protector miners lamp wanted. Prefer SL model but others considered. Not bothered about being cleaned but must be complete. No silly ebay prices please. Don't want to haggle so give me your best price right off.

Redcat
If you think you are a person of some importance, try ordering someone else's dog around.
johngarnett
Site Supporter Since 2015
Home club or Range: Cornwall RC @ Millpool; Duchy Shooting Assn @ Zelah

Re: Miners lamp

#2 Post by johngarnett »

Not sure if this will help but try some of the Cornish tin mine sites. They sell souvenir lamps to visitors but not at all sure of cost!
Try Geevor Mine 'down west' at St Just or any tin mining site.
Hope this may help
JohnG Cornwall
redcat
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: Teesdale P&R Club.

#3 Post by redcat »

Thanks, John but the type of lamp I'm after is the safety lamps used to warn of the presence of gas in the coal mines. This was not really a problem in tin mines so they could use naked flames with little danger, whereas the gas was commonplace in a coal mine. This is the kind of thing I'm looking for.

Redcat
Attachments
Ackroyd & Best.jpg
If you think you are a person of some importance, try ordering someone else's dog around.
DaveB
Home club or Range: Wellington Service Rifle Assocaition; NZ Deerstalkers Association; Wairarapa Pistol & Shooting Sports Club

#4 Post by DaveB »

I know the lamps you mean. I have two of them (one full-size and one half-size), and they are historically accurate except that they lack the mesh inside the glass and the magnetic latch. Bought at a mine in Wales around 1989. Unfortunately they sitting at the other house so I do not have it to hand to tell you the makers name. I will attempt to get it next week and post it here.

In general though, if you are looking for oil lamps, I can recommend W.T. Kirkman Lanterns https://lanternnet.com/ they have many other styles of historically accurate lamps and lanterns (sadly just not miner's lamps).
johngarnett
Home club or Range: Cornwall RC @ Millpool; Duchy Shooting Assn @ Zelah

#5 Post by johngarnett »

Mr Redcap,

OK all understood.

Yep, we're still using tallow candles on our bowler hat brims!!!

Good luck with your search.

JohnG Cornwall
Ovenpaa

#6 Post by Ovenpaa »

Davy lamp? I do know of an original in un-restored but superb condition, not sure if they will part with it though. I will ask!
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal
DaveB
Home club or Range: Wellington Service Rifle Assocaition; NZ Deerstalkers Association; Wairarapa Pistol & Shooting Sports Club

#7 Post by DaveB »

Davy - that was the name I was trying to think of. As far as I know they are still in business, producing lamps. Try here: https://www.welshminerslamps.com/