Just surrendered my 'weapons'.....

Anything shooting related including law and procedure questions.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
Should your post be in Grumpy Old Men? This area is for general shooting related posts only please.
walesdave

Just surrendered my 'weapons'.....

#1 Post by walesdave »

Just been to one of my local constabularies few remaining public counter police stations....(only 5 in the whole of Gwent area!) and surrendered 4 newly classified 'flick knives' (that were assisted openers until October last year) and one very loose-hinged lock knife that I've been wanting to sell or get rid of for a while which is now classed as a 'gravity knife' ;) .

While this was for knives / offensive weapons, the checklist the counter person was working to was the same for firearms.

The main thing I came away with is that for items under £250 there is no requirement to send photos or 'proof' of what an item or its' value is to the Home Office, it is down to the local person being convinced that an items is what you say it is and that the proof of value is accurate.

I couldn't find receipts for any of my items but got screenshots of websites (here and in the US) to 'prove' their value; if I couldn't find the exact model then I found the 'closest' and used that. The counter clerk seemed satisfied and signed the receipt as 'ok' but she did say the final decision would be with the person / unit organising the surender; in Gwent Police (and I would imagine most other forces) this is Firearms Licensing.

I'll update with how it goes, but im my total claim of £447 gets paid, I'll be a few quid up :good: and going shopping.
Blackstuff
Site Supporter Since 2015

Re: Just surrendered my 'weapons'.....

#2 Post by Blackstuff »

Just as well as this, you don't need to provide receipts/proof of purchase for any ancillary firearms parts/accessories if you're accepting the standard amount. I've got that in writing from the Home Office.

Make of it what you will teanews O:-)
DVC
Ovenpaa

#3 Post by Ovenpaa »

What is the going rate for a foreign knock off sword stick with a bent blade. (Asking for a friend)
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal
Blackstuff

#4 Post by Blackstuff »

£12, i'm sure they're going to get a TON of those in(!) 8-)
DVC
walesdave

#5 Post by walesdave »

Blackstuff wrote:£12, i'm sure they're going to get a TON of those in(!) 8-)
Unless you refuse the standard valuation and present a screenshot of a website which shows a similar swordstick for £200 as proof of value :squirrel:
Ovenpaa

#6 Post by Ovenpaa »

So... how come these lot can sell them yet they are illegal?

https://www.sellingantiques.co.uk/t/ant ... ord-sticks
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal
The Event

#7 Post by The Event »

Ovenpaa wrote:So... how come these lot can sell them yet they are illegal?

https://www.sellingantiques.co.uk/t/ant ... ord-sticks
The ban on offensive weapons doesn't apply to antiques.
Except for antique flick or gravity knives which are still too dangerous to allow.
Pippin89
Home club or Range: Chichester Rifle and Pistol Club

#8 Post by Pippin89 »

It's the same with Japanese swords. In theory you can't have any curved blade over 50cm long. Which is most Katana's and even most Wakizashi's.
But there is a caveat that if it is pre 1950 and made to traditional methods then its ok...
Daryll
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: Isle Target Sports Club

#9 Post by Daryll »

Pippin89 wrote:.....But there is a caveat that if it is pre 1950 and made to traditional methods then its ok...
Ah, so they're not dangerous then.... wallhead
Blackstuff

#10 Post by Blackstuff »

Pippin89 wrote:It's the same with Japanese swords. In theory you can't have any curved blade over 50cm long. Which is most Katana's and even most Wakizashi's.
But there is a caveat that if it is pre 1950 and made to traditional methods then its ok...
Another comically pointless exercise, yes curved swords cut more efficiently with a slashing technique but you're still going to be in trouble if someone swings a straight/long sword at your barnet! I wonder if in this day and age someone could accuse this policy of being racist against far-east culture teanews
DVC