optimal .22 barrel length

All things rimfire including target, benchrest, hunters, semi autos and plinkers.

Moderator: dromia

Re: optimal .22 barrel length

#21 Post by 1066 »

TARGETMASTER
an altogether better trickler
www.targetmasteruk.com
20series
Home club or Range: Oundle R&PC

#22 Post by 20series »

1066 wrote:Here you go - Loads of in depth info on long range .22lr target shooting

Page 50
https://nra.org.uk/wp-content/uploads/2 ... spring.pdf

Page 51
https://nra.org.uk/wp-content/uploads/2 ... summer.pdf

Page 45
https://nra.org.uk/wp-content/uploads/2 ... winter.pdf
Excellent many thanks I'll have a read through those.
Alan
A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools!!
Douglas Adams, 1952-2001 RIP
Blackstuff

#23 Post by Blackstuff »

1066 wrote:With my CZ, shooting with a bipod off the bonnet of the Landy, using cheap as chips bulk .22 ammo I can shoot groups about the size of a matchbox at 500 yards, all day long. (if I do my part) :)
You weren't also the author of that 704 yard rabbit headshot with a .17HMR on PW were you? lol
Attachments
matches.jpg
DVC

#24 Post by 1066 »

Blackstuff wrote:
1066 wrote:With my CZ, shooting with a bipod off the bonnet of the Landy, using cheap as chips bulk .22 ammo I can shoot groups about the size of a matchbox at 500 yards, all day long. (if I do my part) :)
You weren't also the author of that 704 yard rabbit headshot with a .17HMR on PW were you? lol
Not me - I think that's totally irresponsible. I usually limit rabbit headshots with the .22lr to about 250-300 yards and the .17HMR to no more than 600 yards, unless, of course, I have the wind behind me then I might stretch it to 800 or so. :D
TARGETMASTER
an altogether better trickler
www.targetmasteruk.com
Pippin89
Home club or Range: Chichester Rifle and Pistol Club

#25 Post by Pippin89 »

Ovenpaa wrote:
1066 wrote:That was just trying to show off - a failed attempt at the old "in off the bonnet" routine. lol

Parts of vehicles are collateral damage in Lincolnshire, I have hear stories that included wing mirrors, A pillars and head rests and I know of someone who zeroed his 6,5x55 against a haystack with his Defender parked behind and has/had duct tape to cover the through and through groups in the back of the truck.
There is a famous video doing the rounds (I assume from our friends over the pond) of someone shooting from the passenger seat of a moving car. Looking through the scope they didn't realise the barrel was point blank and in the middle of the wing mirror...