When is a RIF not a RIF....

All things rimfire including target, benchrest, hunters, semi autos and plinkers.

Moderator: dromia

bradaz11
Sporadic Site Supporter
Home club or Range: The tunnel at Charmouth, BWSS

Re: When is a RIF not a RIF....

#21 Post by bradaz11 »

Alpha1 wrote:I thought this was a shooting forum the hint is in the name FULL BORRE UK. I have looked at this thread twice boring boring boring. If you want to discuss air soft or whatever it is you are bleating on about go do it on an airsoft forum at least they will know what you are banging on about. I have no idea what RIF is about or why you think it's so important you need to raise it on a shooting forum.
alpha, there is no need for that, no one tells you to shove off and talk about pens on a pen forum do they?

he is talking about shooting, he was talking about putting a gun in an airsoft body. but even if he wanted to talk airsoft, its still a legal form of shooting in the UK like airguns.
When guns are outlawed, only Outlaws will have guns
Alpha1
Site Supporter Since 2020

#22 Post by Alpha1 »

Point taken I have no idea what this discussion is about anyway.
So this is the last time I will visit this post. You guys just crack on.

he is talking about shooting, he was talking about putting a gun in an airsoft body. but even if he wanted to talk airsoft, its still a legal form of shooting in the UK like airguns.
No idea what you are talking about.
RDC

#23 Post by RDC »

Alpha1, stop posting when you have been drinking.
Adamdavi3s
Home club or Range: Tamar Rangers

#24 Post by Adamdavi3s »

Thank you to all that have contributed to the original discussion
A shame to see a bit of trolling, but it wouldn't be a forum without it and we're all used to ignoring it. If I had wanted real drama I WOULD have posted on an airsoft forum.

I enjoy shooting, all forms, and I particularly enjoy shooting different firearms. Its why I have a P90 chassis, a couple of ARs as well as "traditional" bolt guns. The P90 especially always invites comments and discussion at the range which is a good part of why I enjoy shooting it.
A .22lr L85 would also do the same as well as giving me an interesting project to occupy my mind during a very trying time.

To reiterate the original discussion, my question was about if a RIF is still considered a RIF when it is used as a chassis for a firearm and if that would legally allow for it to be repainted.
As I said I am not particularly bothered about the colour of it (find my P90 thread to see) but I found the question interesting as was not able to draw a conclusion myself from reading the law.

I think we can conclude from the thread that as we all know the law is incredibly inconsistent almost to the point of being ambiguous, but this is often the case and as mentioned right at the very start its not until we see a case go to court that the law will be fully tested.
I personally don't fancy being that person, I would rather spend £25 on a years "Sportsman's association" membership (yes apparently this is a valid defence!) than £'000s on lawyers to test the system.

The long and short of it all is that if I do decide I'd rather have it in olive green rather than bright green, then I will buy a sportsman membership so that I have a valid defence at the time of the respray.
38Super
Site Supporter Since 2019
Home club or Range: FDPC

#25 Post by 38Super »

Alpha1 wrote:I thought this was a shooting forum the hint is in the name FULL BORRE UK. I have looked at this thread twice boring boring boring. If you want to discuss air soft or whatever it is you are bleating on about go do it on an airsoft forum at least they will know what you are banging on about. I have no idea what RIF is about or why you think it's so important you need to raise it on a shooting forum.
Because everything related to shooting has an impact on our sport. A good deal of the mess we are in now is attributed to people like you saying it isn't shooting because it's not my kind of shooting. When the VCRA was in discussion the 'shooting' organisations said 'nothing to do with us' and threw the airsoft people under the metaphorical bus. The airsofter's fought their own corner and won an exemption for themselves for which they deserve every credit.

I would suggest you watch some IPSC Action Air and tell me what part isn't 'shooting' but you'd be in danger of learning something and you'd only find it boring because it isn't your kind of shooting.
Chapuis

#26 Post by Chapuis »

Alpha1 wrote:Point taken I have no idea what this discussion is about anyway.
So this is the last time I will visit this post. You guys just crack on.

No idea what you are talking about.
Don't let them gang up on you Alpha, I didn't have the foggiest what they were talking about either. And what's more now that I know, I'm still not interested. LOL.

However if someone can tell me how to fit my Blaser R8 into the stock of my granddaughter's nerf gun I would be most interested. O:-)
snayperskaya
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: West Bank of the Volga.....

#27 Post by snayperskaya »

I think this is what the OP is talking about......a .22lr action grafted into an airsoft body.In the States it is done with airsoft donors or parts kits to create .22lr BAR’s (Browning automatic rifle), MG-42’s and SA-80’s etc

https://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/201 ... alore/amp/
"The only real power comes out of a long rifle." - Joseph Stalin

Give a man a gun and he can rob a bank.....give a man a bank and he can rob the world!.

More than a vested interest in 7.62x54r!
bradaz11
Sporadic Site Supporter
Home club or Range: The tunnel at Charmouth, BWSS

#28 Post by bradaz11 »

Adamdavi3s wrote:
bradaz11 wrote:
or just ignore it and do what you 'theoretically' wnat to do, as you will probably do anyway .
This was unnecessary, if that was my intention I wouldn’t have taken the time and raised the question in the first place
I think my wording got the point across perfectly, but sorry if you were upset by it. My point is that people that post up 'theoretical' ways of doing things are generally going to do it whatever you tell them and it just boils my p***. Especially as I was a mod on a rather large airsoft forum, and it was constant, so fair to say I was triggered too.

anyway, to be perfectly honest with you, I have a L86 chassis tucked away for this very reason (but mine is already a RIF, so no legal issues), and wish I had never sold my BAR. It is on the to be done list for me, but I have a sporter profile barrel so I'd need something different on my 10/22 first. then it's working out the trigger linkeage.

Chapuis wrote:
Don't let them gang up on you Alpha, I didn't have the foggiest what they were talking about either. And what's more now that I know, I'm still not interested. LOL.

However if someone can tell me how to fit my Blaser R8 into the stock of my granddaughter's nerf gun I would be most interested. O:-)
yes, but you didn't tell anyone to not to have the convo, did you? not having an interest is fine, for me, there is a lot of content that falls into that for me, but I have a go at them for it.

snayperskaya wrote:I think this is what the OP is talking about......a .22lr action grafted into an airsoft body.In the States it is done with airsoft donors or parts kits to create .22lr BAR’s (Browning automatic rifle), MG-42’s and SA-80’s etc

https://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/201 ... alore/amp/
yes, exactly that. he is talking about doing it to an sa80, referred in his post as it's other name, l85
When guns are outlawed, only Outlaws will have guns
Andy

#29 Post by Andy »

I have also looked into creating a l85 22lr . Why, because I'd love one and nobody makes one.
The easiest way would be to use an Airsoft rifle as a donor. Like the op I had looked into this but couldn't find a used rifle to use and can't justify cutting up a new one as they are expensive, especially if it doesn't work.

So yes I'm interested , and I'd like to see any progress if anyone does create one. And for those people whom have no interest in this then why post negative comments.
Adamdavi3s
Home club or Range: Tamar Rangers

#30 Post by Adamdavi3s »

Yup it’s the trigger linkage that’s going to be a PITA, the mechanism that comes with the airsoft chassis isn’t actually too bad, but it’s pull rather than push so it’ll need a cam or some way of transferring a pull to a push.

On the plus side I’ve had the 10/22 out of my 90/22 and it *just* fits. The magazine is going to be a pain, I’m wondering if there is some way to leave a 10/22 magazine shell in place and feed it with something like a black dog (which I have an abundance of). I’m slowly convincing myself that a 3D printer might be required here to make an adapter.

As an aside I also regret selling my BAR22, [RIP] at the time I just needed to free up cash but I never considered it would be nearly impossible to get another. I have a very very old NWCP with a TacSol upper on it (and thankfully a healthy supply of firing pins). But to be honest for the amount i shoot it, it’s fine: