Brown ridge rifle range

Anything shooting related including law and procedure questions.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
Should your post be in Grumpy Old Men? This area is for general shooting related posts only please.
Andy

Re: Brown ridge rifle range

#11 Post by Andy »

I attended this presentation.
It is expensive and I could just about justify the bronze membership just to have the opportunity to shoot at more than 100 meters. But first year membership is silver minimum and I just can't afford that.
Christel
Site Admin

#12 Post by Christel »

Good luck to whoever is behind it.

Not for me, in-between feeding the dogs, paying the bills including the food shop, getting my car through the MOT, this is not something I would be able to afford.
On top of the above there is the equipment and the travel. Jeeez. wtf
dromia
Site Admin
Home club or Range: The Highlands of Scotland. Cycling Proficiency 1964. Felton & District rifle club. Teesdale Pistol and Rifle club.

#13 Post by dromia »

Well at around just over £100 a day for longe range shooting unavailable near by then I don't think it too bad, the only thing that puts me of is it is on organised days so little diary flexibility. You pay your money and then get offered dates which may or may not suit your diary so getting all your entitled days in could be problematic. For that price I would be expecting more flexible access for members. If I could be sure of getting my 20 days a year in then the Platinum would be attractive especially as 'tis but a cock stride from me. But gambling on their dates fitting in with my availability is too much for me to bet a couple of thousand pounds 'pon.

They are also threatening vat registration which will up the costs by a 1/5th which will make a big difference to its relative affordability.

Be interesting to see how much membership use it gets as opposed to corporate and one off gun club bookings which this seem to be more set up for.

There seems to be little extra value to the membership packages other than a bulk discount on range days.

Come on Bambi get some

Imperial Good Metric Bad
Analogue Good Digital Bad

Fecking stones

Real farmers don't need subsidies

Cow's farts matter!

For fine firearms and requisites visit

http://www.pukkabundhooks.com/
Mattnall
Site Supporter Since 2016
Home club or Range: Harlow TAC, NRA, BSRC

#14 Post by Mattnall »

I wonder how a current serving military instructor is allowed to be a chief instructor of a private venture. Do the military allow that?

Looks a smart place though, the prices are a bit high but the PRL crowd love spending money ;)
Arming the Country, one gun at a time.

Good deals with Paul101, Charlotte the flyer, majordisorder, Charlie Muggins, among others. Thanks everybody.
Thorney
Home club or Range: Silverstone Shooting Centre

#15 Post by Thorney »

Good luck to anyone setting up a range.
Blackstuff
Site Supporter Since 2015

#16 Post by Blackstuff »

Certainly something to keep an eye on but as most have said, too rich for my blood. For that sort of traveling time, and note my location, I can go to Otterburn ranges, Carlisle Small Arms Club and for another 30mins Galloway Small Arms Club or Diggle and cover everything mentioned* but for a fraction of the price.

*Once Lanmarc sorts their lives out - not holding my breath!
DVC
Ovenpaa
Site Supporter Since 2015

#17 Post by Ovenpaa »

GBP100/125 ish for 2700m is well worth the outlay. My issue would be the rifle required to operate at that distance accurately and a 12,x99 would not be my first choice which leaves stuff like the .408 CheyTac + decent glass which is going to be a pricey package.

It would be fun trying with a .303 :)
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal
Sim G
Past Supporter

#18 Post by Sim G »

I’d pay that day rate to just rock up and play. As mentioned earlier, diary dates. Never had a life that was that rigid! My stuff changes hourly!
In 1978 I was told by my grand dad that the secret to rifle accuracy is, a quality bullet, fired down a quality barrel..... How has that changed?

Guns dont kill people. Dads with pretty Daughters do...!
Geek
Site Supporter Since 2020
Home club or Range: Diggle Range and Rossendale Fusiliers

#19 Post by Geek »

For many it isn't just the day rate (£), it's the travelling and possible need for accommodation which may put many off.

I maybe would consider paying the day rate for the occasional shoot, however, I most certainly would not pay for bronze, silver, gold or platinum membership, too expensive for me (and seemed many others from the comments). Also, have to factor in that I would need to pay for myself and my son, which doubles the expense.
Regards,

Geek

AI AT (.308/6.5CM), Ruger PR (6.5CM), American Rimfire (.22LR), Remington 700 (.223), Marlin underlever .38/.357/.44, Savage 6BR, RimfireMagic .22LR, Fabarm Lion (s1), Fabarm Axis Baikal S/S
jimbo303

#20 Post by jimbo303 »

I am always for a new Range being set up, however,

The limited days does not sit well with me
The proposal/offering smacks of a share subscription flyer - dare I say verging on Timeshare in my personal opinion
It is wrong to advertise a product (ie the Bronze Membership) when it isn’t actually available it seems until a year down the line or whenever
The lure of apply now to get in before VAT asks further questions in my mind

No thank you - I would not forward purchase on anything like this given the infancy of the operation and the above mentioned 4 points in particular.

I am sure the owners intentions are entirely meaningful and proper

I wish them luck but it does make Chobham Ridge more appealing personally

J