Just surrendered my 'weapons'.....

Anything shooting related including law and procedure questions.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
Should your post be in Grumpy Old Men? This area is for general shooting related posts only please.
PeterN

Re: Just surrendered my 'weapons'.....

#91 Post by PeterN »

I wonder how many of the general population know about this legislation on knives etc. I have seen no publicity apart from a short article on the Daily Mail website that the law has changed. I bet there are lots of knuckle dusters and such like kept as a curiosities laying in drawers all over the country. I was in Cyprus a couple of years ago and most of what is now banned was for sale in the tourist shops and probably still is if there were any tourists. Knuckle dusters, butterfly knives etc. I expect quite a few of those items found their way home in the hold baggage of holiday makers. I didn't bring anything back though. I didn't know what a zombie knife was until they banned them. I had to look them up and really fancied having one when I saw them. If I scratch 'zombie' and 'death' on an old sickle does that make it a zombie knife? I think we all know that this will have zero impact on violent crime. Actually, it might increase crime as what was legal is now not legal and what was not a crime is now a crime and you don't even need to leave your house or involve any other person to be guilty of an offence and be locked up.
Regards
Peter.
Blackstuff
Site Supporter Since 2015

#92 Post by Blackstuff »

Morph wrote:So I have been contacted regarding the surrender of my LR 9mm.
FEO (not one I have dealt with before) has advised my details have been passed on to armed police officers to collect the firearm & they will be in contact shortly.
Apparently i cannot claim for or hand over any ammunition to them & must make arrangements to dispose of it myself with an RFD.
I wont get a receipt at point of handover but will be provided with one in due course.

I take it South Staffs/West Midlands Firearms Licensing are making up their own rules again ?
Yes, yes they are. Email the Home Office in relation to you ammo. Numerous people have already claimed for and been paid for it. Some scamps have even charged for their labour for making it! ;) Theres also people who have been paid for just brass!
DVC
hitchphil
Home club or Range: Bisley - Mostly

#93 Post by hitchphil »

Blackstuff wrote:
Morph wrote:So I have been contacted regarding the surrender of my LR 9mm.
FEO (not one I have dealt with before) has advised my details have been passed on to armed police officers to collect the firearm & they will be in contact shortly.
Apparently i cannot claim for or hand over any ammunition to them & must make arrangements to dispose of it myself with an RFD.
I wont get a receipt at point of handover but will be provided with one in due course.

I take it South Staffs/West Midlands Firearms Licensing are making up their own rules again ?
Yes, yes they are. Email the Home Office in relation to you ammo. Numerous people have already claimed for and been paid for it. Some scamps have even charged for their labour for making it! ;) Theres also people who have been paid for just brass!
lol - i got paid for 38 brass when i handed in my 22 pistol in the previous pistol ban, didn't even have 38 on my ticket! I just said thats pistol ammo cases that I cant use now, they said ok & gave me £10 for something like 100 used cases! value then ~5 pints ;-) or thats 19p a case in todays money!
Quality control of Scottish Ethanol. & RDX/HMX

& my fav chemical is :-) 1,3,7-trimethylxanthine.......... used to kill frogs.... but widely consumed & in vast quantities by the French? Eh?
Charlotte the flyer
Home club or Range: Classified

#94 Post by Charlotte the flyer »

Just had my 9mm lever release taken from me. To be fair the two guys that came to collect it were very professional, and I'm about to be two and a half grand richer. But to ban a rifle on the perception that it could maybe, possibly, might be, potentially used for nefarious means is a bit hard to take. Especially when they have taken something off me then paid me for it with my own money.
The above post probably contains sarcasm or some other form of attempted wit, please don't take it to heart.
BamBam

#95 Post by BamBam »

Was asked, "Why the hell did you have these? Is that comb a knife? Why would anyone need one of those?"
I lot of tutting and head shaking.
Form was taken and told someone will be contacting me in due course.
DanTheMan
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: Weybridge

#96 Post by DanTheMan »

Have seen some of the cheques being paid out, £14,267.57 to one guy (which included 48x UZI mags at £67 each) - I'm sure it will all be spent on more firearms. My single 9mm LR cheque has filled 4 new FAC slots....
walesdave

#97 Post by walesdave »

Handed in another 'gravity knife' last week (might have been an old lock-knife with a very loose pivot, but I'm not really sure!) got an email two days later to say £40 on the way. Few more £££ to add to the £440 I got in December. New CRKT fixed blade and a Benchmade folder from Heinie Haynes paid for cheers

But the interesting thing....I asked the lady on the front desk how the OWB surrender had gone and she said since it began I was the only one who handed anything in for compensation and they'd had one other person hand something in as a freebie.

So, Gwent polices' second biggest station had a total of two compensation claim surrenders in the last four months - and both of them were by myself :wales:

I did mention to the front desk lady that in a few days time there must be thousands of people in Gwent who will become instant criminals without even knowing it....she agreed.

I'm not sure about other force areas, but I have a feeling the police / home office have realized what a failure the hand-in has been as Gwents Faceache page has had a load of 'have you handed in your offensive weapons for payment' posts in the last week or so 8-)
The Event

#98 Post by The Event »

walesdave wrote: I'm not sure about other force areas, but I have a feeling the police / home office have realized what a failure the hand-in has been as Gwents Faceache page has had a load of 'have you handed in your offensive weapons for payment' posts in the last week or so 8-)
Very handy for the few people who are in the habit of popping onto the local police force's Facebook page. Not so much use for the millions who aren't.
Dark Skies
Home club or Range: NRA

#99 Post by Dark Skies »

walesdave wrote:...

I did mention to the front desk lady that in a few days time there must be thousands of people in Gwent who will become instant criminals without even knowing it....she agreed.

I'm not sure about other force areas, but I have a feeling the police / home office have realized what a failure the hand-in has been as Gwents Faceache page has had a load of 'have you handed in your offensive weapons for payment' posts in the last week or so 8-)
Once lockdown is over, and gangs can get back to business as usual - stabbing each other for r'spec, it'll be interesting to see how the police and authorities manage the media frenzy of 'but you promised this law would stop all this'.

Perhaps we can look forward to being paid compensation for all our scout pocket knives and those cutlery sets in wooden boxes that people accumulate by way of presents.

Is it too late to cut up 75mm lengths of 20mm round bar and call them steelies (used to add weight to your punch in an enclosed fist) to make a bit of dosh out of this fiasco?
"I don't like my job and I don't think I'm gonna go anymore."
Blackstuff
Site Supporter Since 2015

#100 Post by Blackstuff »

Dark Skies wrote:
Once lockdown is over, and gangs can get back to business as usual - stabbing each other for r'spec, it'll be interesting to see how the police and authorities manage the media frenzy of 'but you promised this law would stop all this'.
The same way they've always been handling it, "We didn't go far enough, what can we ban next...." wallhead

On the plus side, while i would have preferred to keep my MARS, it and the stuff I put in will be paying for 3 new guns and some security improvements to the house :good:
DVC