100 & 200 yds with pistol calibres (NRA Historics)

All types of competitive shooting including Bell Target, MR TR F/TR F Open, GR, Small Bore and BR

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
This section is for people who shoot or want to shoot in competitions and includes future events, how to get started, choice of rifle and calibres including wildcats, how to prepare for your competition, and of course how you did!
Bryan Austin

Re: 100 & 200 yds with pistol calibres (NRA Historics)

#31 Post by Bryan Austin »

Scrumbag wrote:
Bryan Austin wrote:
FredB wrote:The NRA coninues to use the dreadful term: "pistol calibre" in its Historic Arms documents and competition entry forms. It does not define what it means by this term and, in fact, allows entries in a lot of calibres for which pistols were never chambered. The most common of these is 310 cadet which features in a lot of comps held on Melville and often wins. I have a letter from the NRA saying that I can enter and shoot with my 8.15 x 46R rifle on Melville. Why not? The real criterion is that the original factory cartridge is within the the range safety limit for muzzle velocity and energy.
Fred

"pistol calibre" should be stricken from the English language!!!!! Maybe change it to "Pistol Cartridges"
I think neither good. Or they can define it better, it would help.

Scrummy
Exactly That term is misleading

example;
45 caliber? Projectiles of a certain caliber does not necessarily make them a "pistol caliber". If so, the 45-70 cartridges as well as the 444 would be a "pistol caliber". Down right stupid.
Mattnall
Site Supporter Since 2016
Home club or Range: Harlow TAC, NRA, BSRC

#32 Post by Mattnall »

It stems from the use of 'calibre' when 'cartridge size' would be more suitable.
Even the police got it wrong on the application forms when they designed them, that caused all sorts of trouble and at least one court case that I heard of.
Arming the Country, one gun at a time.

Good deals with Paul101, Charlotte the flyer, majordisorder, Charlie Muggins, among others. Thanks everybody.
Scrumbag
Home club or Range: BSRC & HPRPC

#33 Post by Scrumbag »

Mattnall wrote:It stems from the use of 'calibre' when 'cartridge size' would be more suitable.
Even the police got it wrong on the application forms when they designed them, that caused all sorts of trouble and at least one court case that I heard of.
That's true. On quite a few FACs you may acquire a calibre rather than a chambering. So for 7mm this could be anything between a 7-08 to a 7mm SAUM.

Or 45 Cal this could in theory be anything from 45 Colt to 458 Lott

Scrummy
Mattnall

#34 Post by Mattnall »

But the HO have advised all licensing departments to refrain from using broad calibre entries and replace with cartridge size, I believe it is even in the HO Guidance now.

Good deals with Paul101, Charlotte the flyer, majordisorder, Charlie Muggins, among others. Thanks everybody.
Scrumbag

#35 Post by Scrumbag »

Mattnall wrote:But the HO have advised all licensing departments to refrain from using broad calibre entries and replace with cartridge size, I believe it is even in the HO Guidance now.
That would be no bad thing.
Mattnall

#36 Post by Mattnall »

Scrumbag wrote:
Mattnall wrote:But the HO have advised all licensing departments to refrain from using broad calibre entries and replace with cartridge size, I believe it is even in the HO Guidance now.
I tend to think the opposite. If you are deemed fit enough to have a 308Win rifle what would it matter if you bought a 30-30 or a 30-06 or a 300Whisper or most any other CF cartridge rifle. It could be listed as "CF RIFLE NOT LARGER THAN .39CAL" or "CF RIFLE LESS THAN .30CAL" or what is deemed the limit for the user's ability to shoot.

I believe it became a problem when someone bought a "22CF" on a "22RIFLE" slot intended by the police as a RF slot and it eventually got held up in court, but if the licensing department put CF or RF along with the calibre it shouldn't become a problem.

Scrumbag

#37 Post by Scrumbag »

Mattnall wrote:
Scrumbag wrote:
I tend to think the opposite. If you are deemed fit enough to have a 308Win rifle what would it matter if you bought a 30-30 or a 30-06 or a 300Whisper or most any other CF cartridge rifle. It could be listed as "CF RIFLE NOT LARGER THAN .39CAL" or "CF RIFLE LESS THAN .30CAL" or what is deemed the limit for the user's ability to shoot.

I believe it became a problem when someone bought a "22CF" on a "22RIFLE" slot intended by the police as a RF slot and it eventually got held up in court, but if the licensing department put CF or RF along with the calibre it shouldn't become a problem.
Ah, I agree with you on these things should be less restrictive. TBH, I can't see the point in "slots" at all. The decision should be to trust or not trust then buy what you want. I meant the clarity was good so that the barstage police and CPS had less opportunity to prosecute shooters.

Scrummy