Modding a Pietta New Model Army .44

If you are making it or modifying it, repairing it or restoring it, it goes in here.

Moderator: dromia

Dark Skies
Home club or Range: NRA

Re: Modding a Pietta New Model Army .44

#21 Post by Dark Skies »

Just seen this alternative for retaining the ram rod in place. I'd have shaped the reinforced area of the rod to give nicer 'flow' were it mine but it's a neat solution nonetheless.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nxn8ZdEO18c
"I don't like my job and I don't think I'm gonna go anymore."
Dark Skies

#22 Post by Dark Skies »

The Stainless Steel Cylinder Quick-release for the Pietta arrived today. A very well made and impressive bit of kit it is too.
Fitted right in with no issues and easy easy to operate. Clicks back in place with a crisp action when the cylinder pin is returned into place.
Attachments
1.jpg
2.jpg
3.jpg
Dark Skies

#23 Post by Dark Skies »

Now just playing about with determining different barrel lengths. I like ther idea of having all the original text present. I want it to look as if it had been made by the factory when I'm done.
Attachments
4.jpg
5.jpg
Dark Skies

#24 Post by Dark Skies »

Found this contraption on Ebay - it's a frame that holds an angle grinder so it can be used to make precise cuts. About £14. I bought a new angle grinder on Ebay too (comes with a five year guarantee) so it can be fitted permanently. took a bit of jiggery-pokery with set squares and a tape measure to get right. I like that the on off switch is a simple toggle switch on the end.
Attachments
photo_2021-05-11_03-38-37.jpg
Dark Skies

#25 Post by Dark Skies »

As mentioned I bought one of those £1 shopping cart cheats. It's made of stainless. When cut it'll make a really nice sight profile. I've offered it up to see what it will look like when silver soldered in place.

So the plan currently is to cut the barrel to just before the "Black Powder Only text - matching with the end of the manufacturer text on the other side. I'll tidy up the crown with a spherical polishing stone. Then I'll cut the front sight but merely super glue it in place - take it down the range and see how that works out.

I expect it will shoot low as the starting point is quite high. I really like the profile so I will file it off flat from the bottom, re-glue it, and try again. Eventually it will be sighted in for our 25 yard range.
Attachments
photo_2021-05-11_03-39-23.jpg
photo_2021-05-11_03-40-51.jpg
bradaz11
Sporadic Site Supporter
Home club or Range: The tunnel at Charmouth, BWSS

#26 Post by bradaz11 »

just be aware, a lot of angle grinder blades have a tendancy to flex and wander as they cut. thicker the disc, straighter the cut, but hotter the metal...

hacksaw will probably produce a straighter cut.
When guns are outlawed, only Outlaws will have guns
Dark Skies

#27 Post by Dark Skies »

bradaz11 wrote:just be aware, a lot of angle grinder blades have a tendancy to flex and wander as they cut. thicker the disc, straighter the cut, but hotter the metal...

hacksaw will probably produce a straighter cut.
I'll practice a bit before making the cut. I have a thicker disk too. I plan to go gently to cut down on flex.

Normally I trust my hacksawing skills but it's usually on stuff I can chuck and start over if it goes wrong. Usually mild steel.
bradaz11
Sporadic Site Supporter
Home club or Range: The tunnel at Charmouth, BWSS

#28 Post by bradaz11 »

wrap electrical tape round it to get a straight cut line on each side, cut a bit into one face at a time, then cut all the way through. then file to clean up. easy!
When guns are outlawed, only Outlaws will have guns
Dark Skies

#29 Post by Dark Skies »

In the end I DID use the electrical tape and hacksaw method. I gave myself a head start and bought a cobalt blade for the job. I squared the barrel in the vice using a small spirit level to give me every advantage possible not to play host to Mr Cock-Up.

Once cut I spent about two hours ever so gently filing it square. A lot of time was spent inspecting it across the face from all sides of the barrel using a small set square. It's crisp and perfect. I'm really pleased with the way it turned out. I retained all of the factory text on the barrel so that it will look pukka.
Attachments
photo_2021-06-09_17-50-45.jpg
photo_2021-06-09_17-50-44.jpg
Dark Skies

#30 Post by Dark Skies »

And this is how it looks so far. I'm now experimenting with foresight designs.
Attachments
photo_2021-06-09_17-52-40.jpg
photo_2021-06-09_17-50-39.jpg