Firearm certificate renewal

Anything shooting related including law and procedure questions.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
Should your post be in Grumpy Old Men? This area is for general shooting related posts only please.
Christel
Site Admin

Re: Firearm certificate renewal

#11 Post by Christel »

GeeRam wrote:
Christel wrote: I have had several conversations with the firearms team about the online procedure as it is not easy for the older generations.

Their argument is that there will always be a younger family member or friend who can help.
Utterly p*** poor attitude to have, and in many cases not true at all.

But sadly very typical of civil service and local Govt IT applications. We the tax payer pay a bloody fortune for not fit for purpose systems.
I think it is more than that, it is a very good way to get rid of certificate holders, same thing happened when it was declared that all RFDs had to keep their register electronically...that was later rescinded - just that I know of quite a few RFDs who gave up trading because of this. One could argue they would have anyway in the not so distant future given their age - I still feel they were pushed.
Alpha1
Site Supporter Since 2020

#12 Post by Alpha1 »

GeeRam wrote:
Christel wrote: I have had several conversations with the firearms team about the online procedure as it is not easy for the older generations.

Their argument is that there will always be a younger family member or friend who can help.
Utterly p*** poor attitude to have, and in many cases not true at all.
That is rubbish its nothing to do with being old its about people not having access to computers or not using them on a regular basis regardless of age. I am 70 in July and can use a computer better than people half my age and that,s because I use one well actually its two every day. When I access these on line forms I am shocked how badly they have been put together by so called professionals.
And a lot of the young people I have encountered would be as much use as Chocolate fire guard when it comes to using a computer. If you can not do it on you phone they are scuppered.
Polchraine

#13 Post by Polchraine »

Alpha1 wrote: When I access these on line forms I am shocked how badly they have been put together by so called professionals.
Precisely my point ... except the "professionals". They may be professionals in their own field defining what is needed, but not professional in creating the form is a way that can be easily completed. If I spent time on each, I could find maybe 200 flaws on each - some major, some minor. Then to edit the layout, remove errors and make it way more user friendly - potentially 0.5- 1 day on each.

Years ago organisations got rid of secretaries, clerical assistants, typists &c as they believed people could do their own typing once computers became more available. How wrong they were.

"The trouble with quotes on the internet is that it's difficult to discern whether or not they are genuine."
- Abraham Lincoln

Why did kamikaze pilots wear helmets?

God loves stupid people, that is why he made so many of them.
Christel
Site Admin

#14 Post by Christel »

Hull University has announced that they will no longer pull the students up on spelling and grammar errors.

Apparently it is elitist.

If I received a CV from a graduate and there were spelling and grammar mistakes - that person would not get the job...not entirely because of the spelling and grammar mistakes but also because the person is obviously too lazy to use a spell checker.
Polchraine

#15 Post by Polchraine »

Christel wrote:Hull University has announced that they will no longer pull the students up on spelling and grammar errors.

If I received a CV from a graduate and there were spelling and grammar mistakes - that person would not get the job...not entirely because of the spelling and grammar mistakes but also because the person is obviously too lazy to use a spell checker.
Sorry Christel - is that a grammatical mistake? Either "the" should not be there or it should be "their". troutslapping

"The trouble with quotes on the internet is that it's difficult to discern whether or not they are genuine."
- Abraham Lincoln

Why did kamikaze pilots wear helmets?

God loves stupid people, that is why he made so many of them.
Pete
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: NRA Bisley

#16 Post by Pete »

Why does everything have to be easy for the older generation?

I certainly don't expect it.....

Pete
"Tantum religio potuit suadere malorum" Lucretius
You're offended? Please explain why your inability to control your emotions translates into me having to censor my opinions....
Christel
Site Admin

#17 Post by Christel »

Polchraine wrote:
Christel wrote:Hull University has announced that they will no longer pull the students up on spelling and grammar errors.

Sorry Christel - is that a grammatical mistake? Either "the" should not be there or it should be "their". troutslapping
Nope, no mistake.
Alpha1

#18 Post by Alpha1 »

I put the letter away they sent me in April and totally forgot about it. I was having a sort out and came upon the letter reminding me my certificate is due for renewal in August so I thought I should may be make an effort and apply on line to renew.
So I did went on line on Wednesday the 26 of this month two days ago filled the form in up loaded a passport picture cropped it and saved it then paid my £90 by credit card.
I got a phone call at 10:00 am this morning with a query. You normally only renew your firearm certificate he said this time you have asked for and paid for a dual certificate is this correct he asked. Yes I replied a club I now belong to shoots clays the third Sunday in the month so I thought I would purchase a shot gun and have a go. Ok has your security changed since our last visit. No its the same I replied.
That,s fine he replied we will pop your certificate in the post. You can expect it to arrive in about two weeks time which is well before your renewal date.
So it took them two days to process it. Well done Cleveland :good:
IainWR
Home club or Range: NRA Bisley

#19 Post by IainWR »

I have been a/the test subject for more than one of the conversions to online of firearms applications. On every occasion I have run into three issues:

The highly intelligent and competent IT company has zero knowledge of the subject. No problem, that's why I'm there.
The person who wrote the brief to the HIACITC has zero knowledge of the practical application of the subject amongst the potential users. Difficult - they have specified the review process I'm participating in and it does not ask the right questions.
The HIACITC has no authority to amend the brief - correct - they are a contractor, but also no process to advise amendment in light of information received - incorrect.

Opinion: Given the grade at which Government contracts are signed off, the mistake is that nobody bothers to run the final contract past anyone with direct contact with the user public who have any knowledge of how it might work in practice. I used to work in the exact role of saying "Oh really" to command, admin and industry on behalf of my little bit of HM Forces. I can see what much of the users of Government services are missing.

All I can say is that without NRA input it might have been even worse.
Alpha1

#20 Post by Alpha1 »

I had no problems at all filling in the online application form. I had no problem up loading a passport photo cropping it and attaching it. Paying with a credit card was straight forward and I am 70 years old in July.
I dont know what all the fuss is about. Yes the lay out is pap but so are most other on line application forms.
I used two computers side by side one with the applicaton form open whilst I filled it in. The second computer has all my Club stuff members details email address all the info I needed for referees mug shots etc to complete the application in about 20 minutes. Job done.