Rifle Moderators

Anything shooting related including law and procedure questions.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
Should your post be in Grumpy Old Men? This area is for general shooting related posts only please.
Alpha1

Rifle Moderators

#1 Post by Alpha1 »

Just thinking out loud. I recently renewed my certificate. My inquiry officer rang me to discuss the renewal He is new to the job my old inquiry officer has retired. During the conversation he asked if I required any moderators as I had not asked for any. I don't shoot live quarry and I have never owned or used a moderator so I said no thanks. Other than the rifle being quieter is there any advantage of fitting a moderator if I had said yes would that of limited my slots. Don't you need separate slots for moderators.
snayperskaya
Home club or Range: West Bank of the Volga.....

Re: Rifle Moderators

#2 Post by snayperskaya »

A moderator can also reduce recoil and if you have slots on your FAC for a moderator or three you can always do a one-for-one variation and swap a moderator slot for another rifle at a later date.
"The only real power comes out of a long rifle." - Joseph Stalin

Give a man a gun and he can rob a bank.....give a man a bank and he can rob the world!.

More than a vested interest in 7.62x54r!
Dr. Strangelove

#3 Post by Dr. Strangelove »

Moderators also tend to reduce felt recoil. Might not be ideal giving a moderated rifle to someone just starting out as they could get into bad habits but I’ll shoot with them on my rifles whenever possible!
Blackstuff
Full-Bore UK Supporter

#4 Post by Blackstuff »

You would've been given MORE slots not less, each moderator is classed as a firearm in of itself and needs its own slot/listing, whoops! :squirrel:

Pros:
Reduces felt recoil
Reduces muzzle blast for those around you
Can improve accuracy
Makes the gun more pleasant to shoot in general
Allows guns to be used in areas it may be inappropriate to use an unmoderated gun

Cons:
Adds weight and length
Can damage muzzle/crown if not fitted, used properly and removed after use
More expense
Increases wear on semi-autos
Increases cleaning requirements
DVC
Ovenpaa

#5 Post by Ovenpaa »

I use sound moderators on newer rifles for both range and over land, however I still shoot many pre-war rifles unmodified as intended.
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal
phaedra1106

#6 Post by phaedra1106 »

As above, in my case reduction in felt recoil due to both shoulders now being damaged.

The sound level isn't an issue, a lot of my club members shoot with muzzle brakes, I do try to put them all together at the far end of the firing points when I can :)
There's room for all Gods creatures, next to the mash and gravy :)
Jimminy234

#7 Post by Jimminy234 »

I meant to put moderators on my first application but missed it off the application form but when he interviewed me he brought them up so I chucked a couple on. I was thinking you can only use them with specified firearms but apparently they can be used on multiple firearms if you have the same caliber
poll007
Home club or Range: Deal & District

#8 Post by poll007 »

I think moderators are great when shooting indoors as it makes it easier to hear other people on the range(especially when you are trying to teach new people).

I think Blackstuff has covered the pro/cons very well.

In my experience FEOs don't seem to worry about adding extra slots for moderators during application/renewal. As such i usually ask for a moderator slot for each calibre rifle i have (then later swap them for a slot if needed via a 1 for 1 variation)
TattooedGun
Home club or Range: Dudley Rifle Club, WNSC, UKPSA, Bromsgrove

#9 Post by TattooedGun »

I have many. My reasons are mainly for comfort reduced recoil and reduced report - I never shoot without hearing protection, but more reduction is better, especially when your hearing is important for other hobbies (musician).
In competition or string shooting, I wont use a mod, since the mirage is exponentially worse.
Alpha1

#10 Post by Alpha1 »

Blackstuff wrote:You would've been given MORE slots not less, each moderator is classed as a firearm in of itself and needs its own slot/listing, whoops! :squirrel:

Pros:
Reduces felt recoil
Reduces muzzle blast for those around you
Can improve accuracy
Makes the gun more pleasant to shoot in general
Allows guns to be used in areas it may be inappropriate to use an unmoderated gun

Cons:
Adds weight and length
Can damage muzzle/crown if not fitted, used properly and removed after use
More expense
Increases wear on semi-autos
Increases cleaning requirements
Cleveland rightly or wrongly.
Use a tier system. The amount of slots they will issue depends on your level of security. I am all ready maxed out on firearms for my level of security if I asked for a slot for a moderator I would have to give up a firearm. So no thanks I will stick with what I have. I should probably ask them I guess how the moderator slots work if they are in addition to or part of your full allowance to possess.