Does caliber effect enjoyment

Anything shooting related including law and procedure questions.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
Should your post be in Grumpy Old Men? This area is for general shooting related posts only please.
450 Martini
Home club or Range: Swadlincote RPC

Re: Does caliber effect enjoyment

#11 Post by 450 Martini »

Indeed, if it's old, unusual, takes a bit of work to get going and the only way to shoot it is through a complicated reloading process involving case forming and casting I'll probably be interested in shooting it.
Jimminy234

#12 Post by Jimminy234 »

Dellboy wrote:6.5 creedmore accurate low felt recoil
308 because everyone says the cant match a 6.5
223 in bolt and straight pull (must get back to CSR ) Cheap and fun to 600 yards

303 7.5x55 swiss and 7.62x39 because i like the guns

22 because its the only way to have a semi auto

oh and 38 and 44 lever action because we are all cowboys at heart .....
Do you find you prefer one lever action more than the other, I have a slot for a 38, partly because I have a slot for a lbr in the same caliber and figured reloading one type of ammunition would be more sensible. I’m now having second thoughts and I’m thinking about a 44 lever action.
Whizzbang

#13 Post by Whizzbang »

I've heard it said that calibre is more important than barrel length for enjoyment...
snayperskaya
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: West Bank of the Volga.....

#14 Post by snayperskaya »

Whizzbang wrote:I've heard it said that calibre is more important than barrel length for enjoyment...
It's not the size of the cannon, it's the velocity of the shot! lol
"The only real power comes out of a long rifle." - Joseph Stalin

Give a man a gun and he can rob a bank.....give a man a bank and he can rob the world!.

More than a vested interest in 7.62x54r!
Ovenpaa
Site Supporter Since 2015

#15 Post by Ovenpaa »

For pure enjoyment my choice is a 1930's or earlier rim-fire target rifle. Even at my age I am learning every time I shoot such a rifle and believe me, when I say I have many to choose from!
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal
GeeRam
Home club or Range: PSC, Bisley

#16 Post by GeeRam »

Jimminy234 wrote: Do you find you prefer one lever action more than the other, I have a slot for a 38, partly because I have a slot for a lbr in the same caliber and figured reloading one type of ammunition would be more sensible. I’m now having second thoughts and I’m thinking about a 44 lever action.
I've shot Marlin's in .38spl, Rossi 92's in .357 & .45LC, Chiappa Alaskan Take-Down's in .44mag, Henry Big-Boy in .357, an original production Winchester 1973 in 44-40 and my own Uberti 1873 in .45LC.

They all feel different.

I didn't like any of the ones in .38spl/.357mag.

Leaving aside the original '73 in 44-40, I'd be choosing either .44mag or .45LC.

I've shot a P17 in 30-06 and that was OK, but the ex-Norwegian K98kF1 in 30-06 I bought was evil to shoot, and in the end, part ex'd it for another K98k in original 7.97x57, which while still more potent than a .303 Enfield for example, is not as bad as the same rifle type in 30-06.
snayperskaya
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: West Bank of the Volga.....

#17 Post by snayperskaya »

GeeRam wrote:
Jimminy234 wrote: Do you find you prefer one lever action more than the other, I have a slot for a 38, partly because I have a slot for a lbr in the same caliber and figured reloading one type of ammunition would be more sensible. I’m now having second thoughts and I’m thinking about a 44 lever action.
I've shot Marlin's in .38spl, Rossi 92's in .357 & .45LC, Chiappa Alaskan Take-Down's in .44mag, Henry Big-Boy in .357, an original production Winchester 1973 in 44-40 and my own Uberti 1873 in .45LC.

They all feel different.

I didn't like any of the ones in .38spl/.357mag.

Leaving aside the original '73 in 44-40, I'd be choosing either .44mag or .45LC.

I've shot a P17 in 30-06 and that was OK, but the ex-Norwegian K98kF1 in 30-06 I bought was evil to shoot, and in the end, part ex'd it for another K98k in original 7.97x57, which while still more potent than a .303 Enfield for example, is not as bad as the same rifle type in 30-06.

I once put quite a few rounds through a 30-06 Colombian Mauser carbine, that thing made a M44 Mosin carbine seem tame!.
"The only real power comes out of a long rifle." - Joseph Stalin

Give a man a gun and he can rob a bank.....give a man a bank and he can rob the world!.

More than a vested interest in 7.62x54r!
Dellboy
Site Supporter 2021
Home club or Range: Star Shooting Club

#18 Post by Dellboy »

Jimminy234 wrote:
Dellboy wrote:6.5 creedmore accurate low felt recoil
308 because everyone says the cant match a 6.5
223 in bolt and straight pull (must get back to CSR ) Cheap and fun to 600 yards

303 7.5x55 swiss and 7.62x39 because i like the guns

22 because its the only way to have a semi auto

oh and 38 and 44 lever action because we are all cowboys at heart .....
Do you find you prefer one lever action more than the other, I have a slot for a 38, partly because I have a slot for a lbr in the same caliber and figured reloading one type of ammunition would be more sensible. I’m now having second thoughts and I’m thinking about a 44 lever action.

the 44 is a lot tamer to shoot than i thought it would be, but i like the 38 (its a short barrel and extremely pointable ) and has a sentimentle attatchment
2020 GOOD DEALS WITH

Cutch Vortex Scope
Mauserbill Enfield Books

Enjoy today as tomorrow might not come .

Noli pati a scelestis opprimi.

bradaz11
Sporadic Site Supporter
Home club or Range: The tunnel at Charmouth, BWSS

#19 Post by bradaz11 »

i find type of thing you are doing also makes a difference.
I enjoy cowboy action shooting more than prone .22
I prefer pushing for times with a semi auto .22 to having my shoulder beaten to death with a semi auto shotgun.
i like plinking away with my m1 carbine more than making big holes with a bp muzzle loader.

rifle wise, I have 2 underlevers in 44 and my '73 is the one that gets used, not my rossi 92. I also have another 73 in 32-20 but I'm still picking up my 44spl 73 not the 32-20. I also had a mateba in 44mag like the rossi and hated it.

I have 5 semi auto handguns in 9mm, but I have put more shots through my p9s than the steyr m9a1 or XDMc combined. the p7 always makes me smile, but I only have 2 mags for it, the Glock 19 is probably middle of the road of those 5.

so I'd say it's not the calibre / chambering that is the issue, its the gun
When guns are outlawed, only Outlaws will have guns
RDC

#20 Post by RDC »

I personally feel it's what you are doing with it that matters more. I really enjoy mini rifle and PSG for example. If we could do proper PCC and pistols, I'd have them for IPSC too.