Guntrader leak

Anything shooting related including law and procedure questions.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
Should your post be in Grumpy Old Men? This area is for general shooting related posts only please.
Polchraine

Re: Guntrader leak

#21 Post by Polchraine »

And websites get rather pi55ed off when you enter your phone nimber as: 0700 000000 and do not enter all the details they do not need but claim they do. I will often put a false DoB, and other random data in rather than my life history.

"The trouble with quotes on the internet is that it's difficult to discern whether or not they are genuine."
- Abraham Lincoln

Why did kamikaze pilots wear helmets?

God loves stupid people, that is why he made so many of them.
snayperskaya
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: West Bank of the Volga.....

#22 Post by snayperskaya »

So how great is the actual risk?, would there statistically be more chance of being followed home after leaving a range than someone turning up at your house off the back of this leak?.

Pretty sure my details were on there as a buyer, can't recall selling a gun on there.......
"The only real power comes out of a long rifle." - Joseph Stalin

Give a man a gun and he can rob a bank.....give a man a bank and he can rob the world!.

More than a vested interest in 7.62x54r!
snayperskaya
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: West Bank of the Volga.....

#23 Post by snayperskaya »

Just been on Guntrader to log in, done the password reset thing but when I try to log in it just keeps going round in circles back to the password reset section!.
"The only real power comes out of a long rifle." - Joseph Stalin

Give a man a gun and he can rob a bank.....give a man a bank and he can rob the world!.

More than a vested interest in 7.62x54r!
Pete
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: NRA Bisley

#24 Post by Pete »

Me too.....I managed to change my password as soon as I saw the message, but it won't let me in now............

Pete
"Tantum religio potuit suadere malorum" Lucretius
You're offended? Please explain why your inability to control your emotions translates into me having to censor my opinions....
Pippin89
Home club or Range: Chichester Rifle and Pistol Club

#25 Post by Pippin89 »

It has worked fine for me. Updated it and then logged in as normal.
RDC

#26 Post by RDC »

snayperskaya wrote:So how great is the actual risk?, would there statistically be more chance of being followed home after leaving a range than someone turning up at your house off the back of this leak?.

Pretty sure my details were on there as a buyer, can't recall selling a gun on there.......
This has been a well-publicised breach. Simply googling 'guntrader data breach' will bring up links to where it was leaked and therefore the info.

The very first comment on the forum states they love keeping this information because it means the terrorists and criminals can get it and get the 'gun nutz'.

Make no mistake about it: antis, criminals and people who just love to feel special by having this sort of data will have already got the lot and I've no doubt people are at risk because of it.

Following someone from the range has an element of risk to the crims as they could be spotted on route, or at least raise suspicions. This way they can just turn up completely unexpected at 2 in the morning. Or when you are at work and the house empty.

I know I'd be worried if my address was on there.
dromia
Site Admin
Home club or Range: The Highlands of Scotland. Cycling Proficiency 1964. Felton & District rifle club. Teesdale Pistol and Rifle club.

#27 Post by dromia »

What a sad, sorry world this "digital age" has brought us.

Come on Bambi get some

Imperial Good Metric Bad
Analogue Good Digital Bad

Fecking stones

Real farmers don't need subsidies

Cow's farts matter!

For fine firearms and requisites visit

http://www.pukkabundhooks.com/
Pete
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: NRA Bisley

#28 Post by Pete »

Trouble is, if you've ever bought anything online, even remotely connected with shooting (or anything else for that matter, expensive car, wristwatch), your details are out there somewhere, just waiting to be harvested by some scumbag....
Definitely a sad reflection on our times.

Pete
"Tantum religio potuit suadere malorum" Lucretius
You're offended? Please explain why your inability to control your emotions translates into me having to censor my opinions....
Blackstuff
Site Supporter Since 2015

#29 Post by Blackstuff »

Vossie wrote:Although to late, there is no option to delete account or remove address details.
They've added a delete account function now
DVC
Hunter87

#30 Post by Hunter87 »

Will people be compensated for this?