Moderator: dromia

davidh195
Past Supporter

Re: Adapting shotgun cartridges

#11 Post by davidh195 »

Or something a little more modern.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/253214850928 ... SwkMNeR8bb

David
I applaud your enthusiasm, even though your grip on reality may be somewhat tenuous......
X500BEN
Home club or Range: Andover rifle and pistol club

#12 Post by X500BEN »

We could do with knowing what the problem is as there's loads of different things that can be causing problems. If there's a short chamber issue then try some 2 1/2" game loads. It can be a large chamber issue that allows the steel case head to expand too much and get stuck
Probably best to let a gunsmith have a look at it.
bradaz11
Sporadic Site Supporter
Home club or Range: The tunnel at Charmouth, BWSS

#13 Post by bradaz11 »

Sim G wrote: Fri Aug 20, 2021 4:20 pm An early 1897 is going to have a chamber length of 2 5/8. Old cartridges with roll crimps and made of paper, extraction would be no issue, even if cartridges were a little long. Modern plastic cartridges with star crimps are probably having the forcing cone grip the mouth of the expended cartridge, hence making extraction not quite right.

There’s a number of fixes like chamber reaming or experimenting with star crimped lengths or feeding it roll crimps. The weight of shot is not going to make any difference.
hey Sim, that's why I'm asking about roll crimps, but seeing if there is an easier way of making them, rather than fully loading my own
When guns are outlawed, only Outlaws will have guns