The SLR returning to British army.

Anything Fullbore rifle related, Hunting, Target, Match.

Moderator: dromia

snayperskaya
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: West Bank of the Volga.....

Re: The SLR returning to British army.

#21 Post by snayperskaya »

channel12 wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 10:50 pm
But from pictures from A'stan it appears that given the choice of an AK of AR, Taliban fighters are picking up AR's
Given the numbers of AR's the Yanks have left behind and the fact many of them appear to have optics fitted it would be rude of them not to!.

Plus the fact that a lot of the AK's they were carrying would likely be old examples the Soviets left behind, Chinese AK's supplied to the Mujahideen by America in the '80s or Khyber Pass copies.......I also wonder if the press has also focussed on Taliban carrying US made weapons when taking photos.It appears the Taliban still have plenty of old PKM's and RPG's in use if the photos are anything to go by and they'll hang on to their old AK's for when the AR's fall to bits! :p
"The only real power comes out of a long rifle." - Joseph Stalin

Give a man a gun and he can rob a bank.....give a man a bank and he can rob the world!.

More than a vested interest in 7.62x54r!
RDC

#22 Post by RDC »

Strangely Brown wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 4:14 pm
450 Martini wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 11:47 am I first saw this on the Facebook group "Veterans News UK" which is a military humour page. The article is clearly poking fun at the old and bold who do tend to waffle on about the wonders of the obsolescent SLR.
The same Facebook group also published that there was going to be a medal issued for soldiers who had served in BOAR; imagine that a medal for driving round the countryside and getting pi55ed every weekend! :p
Doesn't stop the spams, they get a medal for flying to England!
GeeRam
Home club or Range: PSC, Bisley

#23 Post by GeeRam »

RDC wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 7:55 am
Strangely Brown wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 4:14 pm
450 Martini wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 11:47 am I first saw this on the Facebook group "Veterans News UK" which is a military humour page. The article is clearly poking fun at the old and bold who do tend to waffle on about the wonders of the obsolescent SLR.
The same Facebook group also published that there was going to be a medal issued for soldiers who had served in BOAR; imagine that a medal for driving round the countryside and getting pi55ed every weekend! :p
Doesn't stop the spams, they get a medal for flying to England!
They get a medal if they can spell their own name correctly....
Sim G
Past Supporter

#24 Post by Sim G »

Steady chaps. Some of us have marched behind US flag draped coffins as well as those drapes with the Union flag. And although we may all do things differently it’s the core values that make the alliances, particularly amongst the “Five Eyes” community so strong.
In 1978 I was told by my grand dad that the secret to rifle accuracy is, a quality bullet, fired down a quality barrel..... How has that changed?

Guns dont kill people. Dads with pretty Daughters do...!
Daryll
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: Isle Target Sports Club

#25 Post by Daryll »

GeeRam wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 6:26 pm
Pippin89 wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 2:48 pm A RAF regiment chap (no insults please) told me when I was an Air Cadet, the UK military changed from the 7.62 to the 5.56 as it was less lethal.
We changed because we just followed Uncle Sam.
Uncle Sam had been trying to get rid of their 7.62's for years, as it was the NATO round, they had to keep their M14's in service for their European based troops, when all those serving in Vietnam and SE Asia were already using the 5.56 with the M16.
The septics love of full auto meant they could carry more 5.56 than 7.62......but they used more of it.......and then surprise, surprise, once in Afgan and Iraq, they started pulling M14's out of store for marksmans rifle with optics as the 5.56 was found wanting.
Talk about full circle......

However, I thought the US Army were already very advanced with its replacement for the M4, and with it a new calibre of 6.8mm?
When the first Iraq war started, don't I remember some units (Paras?) dumping their L85's and pulling the old SLR's out of storage to take with them..?
Mattnall
Site Supporter Since 2016
Home club or Range: Harlow TAC, NRA, BSRC

#26 Post by Mattnall »

channel12 wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 10:27 pm
Mattnall wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 3:32 pm
bradaz11 wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 6:28 am

the 5.56 that got adopted though was the FN version, wasn't it, not the American flavour?
But it was the American military that drove the change, possibly as the wars they were fighting at the time had engagement ranges more often much less than 300yds.
To be fair we British were looking at an intermediate cartridge before we (and NATO) were pushed into adopting 7.62 by the Americans.
It doesn't really matter what the rest of NATO thought or was trying out, the Americans drove the change not only to the 7.62 but subsequently the 5.56. We had to follow if only for sake of standardisation and easier logistics, made sense really.
The benefit of being the largest partner with the biggest purse, I guess.
Arming the Country, one gun at a time.

Good deals with Paul101, Charlotte the flyer, majordisorder, Charlie Muggins, among others. Thanks everybody.