Cambridgeshire Variations

Anything shooting related including law and procedure questions.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
Should your post be in Grumpy Old Men? This area is for general shooting related posts only please.
Practical shooter

Re: Cambridgeshire Variations

#21 Post by Practical shooter »

Alpha1 wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 11:21 pm
Polchraine wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 11:05 pm
Alpha1 wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 10:55 pm We have at least two registered firearms dealers reply to this thread ( and others) telling us if you don,t have a slot they will not take a deposit. Speaking to your Solicitors will make no difference what so ever.
What is wrong with you people they have advised you in good faith of the requirements you need to stay within the law and keep plod happy. Its not rocket science get a variation then go buy the firearm in the caliber you want.

I have asked for an explanation of where the instruction comes from. The link provided does not say it and interpretation of te the text does not give that impression either.

To me it sounds like another of those "you have to do it this way" comments that proliferates. An RFD can decide not to accept a deposit, but that is their choice and no in line with the text.
Why have you asked for an explanation are you looking to buy a firearm you don,t have a variation for why do you think you need to involve Solicitors. Has I said get a variation for the caliber you want then go buy the firearm what is so complicated about that. (By the way you need to use a spell checker.)
Polchraine has raised a very valid point and is basically being told to be quiet which is not right.

The link provided only stated bad business practice.
PeterN

#22 Post by PeterN »

The guidance quoted is a bit out of date as it still has expanding ammunition as being under section 5 on page 6. So, it seems the issue is the deposit, ie, having a financial interest in a firearm for which you do not have authority to buy. If the dealer agreed to hold a firearm for you until you got the right variation but did not take a deposit, ie you have no financial interest in the firearm and no transaction has taken place between the potential buyer and the seller, only a verbal conversation, I presume that is OK?
I understand Alpha1's point about getting the right variation before you go shopping, but that is fine if you know what you are going to buy. I collect old military rifles and often don't know what will turn up that I want to buy. I get some slots in various calibres that I think should be OK but something will turn up in a calibre I have not got a slot for. It then involves getting a variation to change one of the vacant slots to the calibre of the gun that has turned up that I want to buy. Well, several times in the past, myself and various dealers have gone against the guidance and I have sent a deposit on a rifle until my FAC has been updated and the purchase completed. This was before I recently heard about there being a problem in a dealer taking a deposit to hold a firearm until the paperwork was updated. I used my last vacant slot yesterday. Fortunately, the calibre of the rifle that turned up matched the calibre of the vacant slot so all was well. I only went into the shop to buy some primers, but came out with a rifle as well as the primers.
Regards
Peter.
Daryll
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: Isle Target Sports Club

#23 Post by Daryll »

Alpha1 wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 10:55 pm We have at least two registered firearms dealers reply to this thread ( and others) telling us if you don,t have a slot they will not take a deposit. Speaking to your Solicitors will make no difference what so ever.
What is wrong with you people they have advised you in good faith of the requirements you need to stay within the law and keep plod happy. Its not rocket science get a variation then go buy the firearm in the caliber you want.
Ok, so how does this work when you P/X a gun to get another..?

I recently wanted to exchange my 10/22 for a .22 "black rifle", so I approached my local RFD, and sold him the 10/22. I had to wait for a 1-1 variation to get the 10/22 taken off, and an empty slot put on.

Once I had the FAC back I went to the RFD, paid the balance and walked out with the new rifle.

But surely when I "gave" the 10/22 to the RDF that was effectively a deposit for the new rifle, which I didn't have a valid slot for...??
dromia
Site Admin
Home club or Range: The Highlands of Scotland. Cycling Proficiency 1964. Felton & District rifle club. Teesdale Pistol and Rifle club.

#24 Post by dromia »

For any answer meaningful to your situation you would need to ask your firearms certification dept.

Come on Bambi get some

Imperial Good Metric Bad
Analogue Good Digital Bad

Fecking stones

Real farmers don't need subsidies

Cow's farts matter!

For fine firearms and requisites visit

http://www.pukkabundhooks.com/
Mattnall
Site Supporter Since 2016
Home club or Range: Harlow TAC, NRA, BSRC

#25 Post by Mattnall »

Polchraine wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 8:04 pm It specifically syates a deposit may ONLY be taken "prior to the sight of a certificate giving authority to purchase" it does not say the purchaser must have a certificate at the time of placing a deposit.
There, fixed it for you. So now the full sentence of the best practice means that if you have the slot you can't place the deposit.

It is only a guidance (so proof reading may have been less than full-proof) and I think the meaning intended here was "no slot = no deposit", as it is commonly understood by many in the business and licensing.
Arming the Country, one gun at a time.

Good deals with Paul101, Charlotte the flyer, majordisorder, Charlie Muggins, among others. Thanks everybody.