Guntrader leak

Anything shooting related including law and procedure questions.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
Should your post be in Grumpy Old Men? This area is for general shooting related posts only please.
daman
Site Supporter 2021
Home club or Range: HRPC, NRA, BASC, BDS, Larbert, UKPSA

Re: Guntrader leak

#181 Post by daman »

Sim G wrote: Sun Oct 31, 2021 8:15 pm There was no mention at all in that article that the burglary was a result of the GT hack…
There was not. But see articles in the Reg etc. which link them.
daman
Site Supporter 2021
Home club or Range: HRPC, NRA, BASC, BDS, Larbert, UKPSA

#182 Post by daman »

Polchraine wrote: Sun Oct 31, 2021 8:54 pm

What about BA? Go away on holiday and come back to find your house ransacked becasue dates were in te data were stolen ... Has anyone managed to sue BA for that? Not as far as I know.
Can't really say as my address wasn't leaked by BA - and if it had would not have been specifically linked to firearms. But if it had been, yeah, I'd like them to be held accountable.

Under GDPR anyone holding personal identifiable information (PII) on anyone has a legal responsibility to take reasonable precautions against the disclosure of that data and should have insurance against involuntary disclosure. GT failed at least one of those two - and their attempts to downplay it saying 'change your password' are pretty despicable.
Polchraine

#183 Post by Polchraine »

daman wrote: Sun Oct 31, 2021 9:40 pm Can't really say as my address wasn't leaked by BA - and if it had would not have been specifically linked to firearms. But if it had been, yeah, I'd like them to be held accountable.

Under GDPR anyone holding personal identifiable information (PII) on anyone has a legal responsibility to take reasonable precautions against the disclosure of that data and should have insurance against involuntary disclosure. GT failed at least one of those two - and their attempts to downplay it saying 'change your password' are pretty despicable.
REASONABLE PRECAUTIONS - can you prove they did not take reasonable precasutions? They had what they believed was appropriate insurance but their ins co are wriggling out of it - just as Ins Cos did when te pandemic struck.

"The trouble with quotes on the internet is that it's difficult to discern whether or not they are genuine."
- Abraham Lincoln

Why did kamikaze pilots wear helmets?

God loves stupid people, that is why he made so many of them.
Brian838
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: Offa's Dyke.

#184 Post by Brian838 »

Polchraine wrote: Sun Oct 31, 2021 10:20 pm
daman wrote: Sun Oct 31, 2021 9:40 pm Can't really say as my address wasn't leaked by BA - and if it had would not have been specifically linked to firearms. But if it had been, yeah, I'd like them to be held accountable.

REASONABLE PRECAUTIONS - can you prove they did not take reasonable precasutions? They had what they believed was appropriate insurance but their ins co are wriggling out of it - just as Ins Cos did when te pandemic struck.
Can you prove they had what they believed was appropriate insurance?
walesdave

#185 Post by walesdave »

daman wrote: Sun Oct 31, 2021 9:40 pm They had what they believed was appropriate insurance but their ins co are wriggling out of it - just as Ins Cos did when te pandemic struck.
In a FB post, now since edited to remove the comment, Guntrader admitted they had 'the wrong kind' of insurance and didn't mention their insurance company trying to wriggle out of anything.

As far as customer information being transferred between the 'old' and 'new' GT, it's not just a case of the existing business being sold and then bought by the new Ltd entity but a NEW URL has been created which I would say is a new business so data shouldn't have been migrated from old to new.
wildrover77

#186 Post by wildrover77 »

I think we need to start vigorously prosecuting the victims of crime. It would be sure to encourage people to stop becoming victims. The smart way to solve crime!
RDC

#187 Post by RDC »

Brian838 wrote: Sun Oct 31, 2021 8:38 pm The only thing I've lost is peace of mind at this point in time...
We aren't yanks. You can't sue for emotional distress.
Brian838
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: Offa's Dyke.

#188 Post by Brian838 »

RDC wrote: Mon Nov 01, 2021 8:06 am
Brian838 wrote: Sun Oct 31, 2021 8:38 pm The only thing I've lost is peace of mind at this point in time...
We aren't yanks. You can't sue for emotional distress.
You most certainly can.
Sim G
Past Supporter

#189 Post by Sim G »

Which is somehow justification for joining an effort that would undoubtedly destroy a commercial company putting a dozen or so people out of a job…? Aye, I bet they’re cocky-hoop at the prospect so that you “feel” OK.

Number One lesson in all of this. Don’t give out your personal information.
In 1978 I was told by my grand dad that the secret to rifle accuracy is, a quality bullet, fired down a quality barrel..... How has that changed?

Guns dont kill people. Dads with pretty Daughters do...!
Pete
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: NRA Bisley

#190 Post by Pete »

Beating yourself up over something that MIGHT happen??.........that way madness lies..........I'm more concerned about something that is happening, and happening a lot quicker than everyone evidently thought possible.

Pete

And yes, according to GT I was on the list...I sold an airgun some years ago.
"Tantum religio potuit suadere malorum" Lucretius
You're offended? Please explain why your inability to control your emotions translates into me having to censor my opinions....