Bullet lube recommendation for black powder guns

Anything muzzle loading in here. Old and new, rifles, shotguns, pistols and even cannons!

Moderator: dromia

dirtbag
Site Supporter 2022

Bullet lube recommendation for black powder guns

#1 Post by dirtbag »

Hi all,
I currently make my own black powder lube, but thinking it may be the cause of some inaccuracy in my guns.
I currently double boil 50:50 beeswax and tallow. When cooled its quite hard and brittle (looks like a milky bar type texture best way to describe it). I pan lube the bullets, and I also use it for greased cookies.

Results are mixed :
In my 44-40 1873 does well from 100 yards with a big-lube style bullet and pyrodex P. No wild shots, and can be "reasonably" consistent for up to 30 rounds. So happy the lube is doing its job.. I think.

However , In my Tabatiere 17.8mm.... the minie bullet I use has a large lube groove, which I add the same lube. When I fire it with that, I could be more accurate throwing a rugby ball at the target, but shoot the gun without lube in grooves, but instead dip in uderly smooth before chambering and it shoots fine. Tried the lube in my Martini henry with a non PP bullet and that shoots worse, where as before I used undersized bullet and Paper patched, no lube and much better accuracy.

Is my lube causing instability ?

Comments and help appreciated as always !
dromia
Site Admin
Home club or Range: The Highlands of Scotland. Cycling Proficiency 1964. Felton & District rifle club. Teesdale Pistol and Rifle club.

Re: Bullet lube recommendation for black powder guns

#2 Post by dromia »

You are overthinking it.

What do you think the lubes "job" is?

Bullet lube isn't needed to lube the bullet. its primary function is to help keep the fouling soft. Its hydraulic properties when under pressure also helps maintain bullet shape through peak pressure and before it is fully supported by the bore.

BP lube should be soft, hard lube is a total waste of time, both in black and smokeless loads.

All you need is a 50/50 mix of bees wax and tallow just melted together, if it is hard and brittle then adjust the mixture, more tallow less beeswax. Tallow (i.e fat) is all you need but it is usually a bit runny so the bees wax is used as a stiffener.

In the 44-40 you bullet is supported better at the beginning of the bullets travel no doubt being over groove size. So doesn't need the same help to keep centred and stopping deformation like the Minie which is usually well undersize.

So you are comparing apples and oranges.

Soft alloy, soft lube and correct bullet fit is the key to lead bullet happiness both with black and smokeless.

Come on Bambi get some

Imperial Good Metric Bad
Analogue Good Digital Bad

Fecking stones

Real farmers don't need subsidies

Cow's farts matter!

For fine firearms and requisites visit

http://www.pukkabundhooks.com/
dromia
Site Admin
Home club or Range: The Highlands of Scotland. Cycling Proficiency 1964. Felton & District rifle club. Teesdale Pistol and Rifle club.

#3 Post by dromia »

Udderly Smooth now that is an expensive lube, however its consistency in comparison to your home made lube should be illuminating for you.

Cheap moisturising cream from the £ shop works just as well.

Come on Bambi get some

Imperial Good Metric Bad
Analogue Good Digital Bad

Fecking stones

Real farmers don't need subsidies

Cow's farts matter!

For fine firearms and requisites visit

http://www.pukkabundhooks.com/
Site Supporter Since 2015

#4 Post by 1066 »

dromia wrote: Sun Nov 14, 2021 6:11 pm Udderly Smooth now that is an expensive lube, however its consistency in comparison to your home made lube should be illuminating for you.

Cheap moisturising cream from the £ shop works just as well.
I've been using something called Almond body butter, fair sized jar from the local discount shop - smells very nice.
TARGETMASTER
an altogether better trickler
www.targetmasteruk.com
dirtbag
Site Supporter 2022

#5 Post by dirtbag »

Thanks for the responses which help a lot. I was aware of lube's job of keeping the fouling soft, but was eluding to perhaps the (too hard) lube staying partly in the grooves of the bullet when it leaves the barrel thus making it unbalanced. So it was more at my recipe. I will up the tallow in the mix. How soft are we talking , like wonderlube ?
andrew375

#6 Post by andrew375 »

For many years my black powder lube for .577 and cartridge has been a mix of beeswax and vaseline, roughly 50/50 by volume. It doesn't go brittle like beeswax and tallow and even after 30 rounds bullets go down the barrel of my 3 band as smoothly as the first. It also makes a good paper patch lube.
"Consciousness is a lie your brain tells you to make you think you know what you are doing." Professor Maria Goncalves.

If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear. George Orwell.
Dark Skies
Home club or Range: NRA

#7 Post by Dark Skies »

Until it was all gone I've been using ye olde motorcycle chain lube - the stuff you melted in a tin and dunked the chain in. Dunno if you can still get it. Worked well.
"I don't like my job and I don't think I'm gonna go anymore."
dirtbag
Site Supporter 2022

#8 Post by dirtbag »

Hi all, just an update and to help those with same question.
Tried the 50/50 mix of beeswax and vaseline in my big lube mold for my Winchester 1873 in 44-40. With black powder and 100 yards it shot the best I have ever seen it do.
The bore is worn , but after 25 shots was still in and around 8 inch black. Normally at that stage it starts to wander onto my other target..... Perhaps easily pleased, but I'm happy.
Thanks for the help