low velocity 22

All things rimfire including target, benchrest, hunters, semi autos and plinkers.

Moderator: dromia

Mattnall
Site Supporter Since 2016
Home club or Range: Harlow TAC, NRA, BSRC

low velocity 22

#1 Post by Mattnall »

I've acquired a Lebel 22 training rifle, a lovely rifle from the 19th century.
It was proofed as 22lr but it really requires a shorter bullet. The slow 40gn stuff is not really good enough as the twist is too slow for the long 38-40gn bullets and subsonics are too slow to stabilise. The modest velocity bullets such as some of the SK range are better but I still get the odd tumbler.
Eley used to make the Z or Zimmer (one of these was 29gn IIRC) and I'm trying to find something similar.
Does anyone know of a supply for the lighter .22 ammo, 22long rather than 22lr?
TIA
Arming the Country, one gun at a time.

Good deals with Paul101, Charlotte the flyer, majordisorder, Charlie Muggins, among others. Thanks everybody.
andrew375

Re: low velocity 22

#2 Post by andrew375 »

Sounds like the rifle is intended for. 22 Long. I don't know if anyone still makes it though.
"Consciousness is a lie your brain tells you to make you think you know what you are doing." Professor Maria Goncalves.

If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear. George Orwell.
glevum
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: Cotswold Rifle Club

#3 Post by glevum »

CCI still make .22 long. They are 29gr

Not sure where you would get it though.
Mattnall

#4 Post by Mattnall »

.22Long I think and not LR, but it was proofed a few years ago as LR (not that that means anything in this instance) and nearly all the notes I have found from the time specify 6mm or 22LR, though the rifle is marked just ".22". One Belgian website mentions that the inscription on the stock says "“La Francaise C.P. A Longue Portée” refers to the type of cartridge .22 with annular percussion" - basically 'rimfire'.
A search for Longue Portée brings up loads about 22LR (or long range shooting with a 22LR) but my French is not good enough to filter through the results very well.

Good deals with Paul101, Charlotte the flyer, majordisorder, Charlie Muggins, among others. Thanks everybody.
nCognitos

#5 Post by nCognitos »

You can pick up CCI CB 22 LONG 29GR Lead Round Nose fairly easily.

The bigger gunships seem to have it, Livens, Countryman and the like seem to stock it. Sorry, not familiar with your part of the world.

Otherwise try the Z-Lang from the NSRA shop in Bisley, its another 29gr jobbie, https://www.nsrashop.co.uk/collections/ ... rws-z-lang
Mattnall

#6 Post by Mattnall »

Thanks.
About a week ago I found out about the RWS Z-Lang. I will pick some up as soon as I can.
Shorts work fine and the Longs I've used seem to go well but I need to shoot more of them to verify it.