Long hole drilling Help

If you are making it or modifying it, repairing it or restoring it, it goes in here.

Moderator: dromia

Alpha1
Site Supporter Since 2020

Re: Long hole drilling Help

#21 Post by Alpha1 »

Should of read as 6.5mmx290mm not 290cm this metric stuff still confuses me. I still think in feet and inches.
Alpha1

#22 Post by Alpha1 »

Gun drills have arrived. I can post pictures if any one is remotely interested. I am a bit more clued up now about how they work and the air fed as opposed to the flood coolant thing.
Only issue is I think for my scenario I should of ordered shorter drills. But we will see. Anyway now having seen them in the flesh I get how they work and I can see how they would use them for gun barrels.
Alpha1

#23 Post by Alpha1 »

Well they actually fit on my lathe in a tool holder the type with a hole through the centre a bushing of the correct size holds it in place. I had a play but I hold my hand up at this moment in time its probably above my skill set.
I need four of these items for the first week in January. So I reverted to welding up the the ends of 1/4" Outside diameter Swagelok stainless tube. I faced the welded ends off on the lathe then popped them on the mill held in a collet block fixed to the table with a over all length stop then milled a 14mm slot on the welded end.so they all came out the same. So they will be made up and fitted first week in January. So that,s out of the way so I can go play with my Gun drills.