Remington 700 options

Anything Fullbore rifle related, Hunting, Target, Match.

Moderator: dromia

DaveB
Home club or Range: Wellington Service Rifle Assocaition; NZ Deerstalkers Association; Wairarapa Pistol & Shooting Sports Club

Re: Remington 700 options

#21 Post by DaveB »

1-in-8" twist is not always an option in factory rifles. May have to start with a 1-in-9" and then re-barrel at some later point if you are keen on 1-in-8.
Racalman
Home club or Range: LPSC and NRA

#22 Post by Racalman »

I have a .223 Armalon 700 PSS which uses a modified M16 magazine. It has a 22" fluted barrel with 1 in 8" twist, Timney trigger and Sako extractor.

I shoot 69gn Lapua in practical comps. Nice rifle.

Mike
Daryll
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: Isle Target Sports Club

#23 Post by Daryll »

My first .223 was a Rem SPS Tactical... being brutally honest, it was the most inaccurate rifle I've ever owned..!

I thought it was the factory ammo, so started handloading... the best I could get was 1 inch groups.. at 25 yds..!

I found the Houge stock too flexible.. if I put a bipod on the front sling swivel, the stock would flex enough to allow the "free floating" barrel to touch the stock under its own weight..

I put it in a Choate "ultimate sniper stock".. that was much more rigid (but very heavy), but it still wouldn't group... I eventually traded it in for a Mossberg MVP Varmint .223 and that is a tack-driver.

I spoke to the dealer after he'd sold the Rem SPS on, and he said that he re-crowned it and it shot well after that..
Racalman
Home club or Range: LPSC and NRA

#24 Post by Racalman »

The SPS stocks were pretty awful. My 700 PSS came with its original 26" Remington barrel and shot well, but Armalon selected the barrels carefully then fluted and crowned them.

It was too heavy for PR so when the barrel wore out (after 15,000 rounds!) I had the shorter Armalon barrel fitted.

Mike