NDFS .38 special neck expander.

If you are making it or modifying it, repairing it or restoring it, it goes in here.

Moderator: dromia

Alpha1
Site Supporter Since 2020

NDFS .38 special neck expander.

#1 Post by Alpha1 »

I have a set of NDFS reloading dies that I still use occasionally I wanted to have a go at using the case neck expanding die on a recently acquired Lee APP press but the die body is to long and the expander plug is to long the die fouls the press handle so you can not cycle the press.
I was thinking of buying a Lyman M die but I can not find one stocked in the UK. I toyed with the idea of ordering a .357 expander from NOE Moulds in America to use in the Lee expander die but that will take weeks to get here.
I gave the the NDFS expander plug and die a good coat of looking at to night and a idea occurred to me. Another project and learning could come from this I could just make a neck expander die myself to fit on the APP press. In fact I have 38/357 reamers I could may be make a full set of dies. That may be a step to far May be but we will see.

Sounds like a plan.( Sort of) its all good fun and keeps the Grey matter working.
On wards and up woulds and never look back.
Alpha1
Site Supporter Since 2020

Re: NDFS .38 special neck expander.

#2 Post by Alpha1 »

Spent to day in the Shed cleaning up Aluminium and the Lathes and the Mill. I decided against messing with the NDFS dies. Some one else on another thread suggested turning a NOE Moulds type case neck expander might be an easier option. So I went for it I didn't get it right first time turning to tight tolerances on my set up isn't ideal.I have made an expander plug that fits in the Lee resizing die and it works. Only issue is the Lyman press stand needs to be clamped to the bench whilst expanding case necks and if I get bored with that the NDFS expander works fine in the Wamadet or Lyman press. So job done.

teanews Whats next. Not sure nothing planned.